Welcome to Vershire, Vermont

Genealogy & History

This page is available for adoption.
Please contact Karima.


A Brief History of Vershire

       On August 3, 1781, Vermont granted the 21,961 acres that were to become Vershire to Capt. Abner Seelye and 64 others. This is rather late in Vermont history, just ten years before the Republic of Vermont merged with its larger neighbor to the South. One Lenox Titus had settled in the town in 1779 as its first permanent settler.

       The town was originally named Malden, but quickly became Vershire as an amalgam of Vermont and New HampSHIRE, being as the town offers the first views of the latter when coming from the west. In the 1791 census, there were 439 people (nine more than in 1980). The town center was located where the Mountain School is now found, which is why this is Vershire Center Road. This was a typical placement in the late eighteenth century, when it was much easier to make roads along ridge lines than in valleys. The population centers did not descend to the valleys until communication lines (railroads and roads) were complete. A congregational church was built there in 1802 and Maltby's Tavern served the area.

       Trees were felled to clear the land and provided lumber, fuel, and were used to make potash, a valuable export as fertilizer to England. The principal crops were corn, wheat, oats, barley, flax, buckwheat, and potatoes. Plowing power and transportation was supplied by oxen and horses.

       Along the major watercourses, mills were set up from grinding the grain crops and sawing lumber. One such mill was located just down the hill where Eastman's Cross Road meets South Vershire Road. Vershire seems to have been fairly typical of Vermont in its population patterns. It grew to 1311 in the 1810 census, but dropped for the next twenty years as the opening of the Erie Canal opened the prime agricultural lands of the Midwest. The sheep boom seems to have kept down emigration in 1840, when the population shot up to 1998. But by 1860, Vershire was down to just over a thousand inhabitants.

       One hundred and thirteen (113) Vershire men, over ten percent of the population, fought in the Civil War and 13 lost their lives. The twenty years after the war brought the copper boom. The Vermont Copper Mining Company opened in 1854, with ownership by New York speculators, including Smith Ely. The first manager was Thomas Pollard, a 38-year-old Cornish miner, who had immigrated in 1842 and worked mines in Pennsylvania and other states. The Vershire mine, located on Copper Fields Road, which leads down from here to West Fairlee, became a significant operation during and after the Civil War. It was mined primarily by Cornish and Irish immigrants, who had previously worked British mines. 

       After the war, Smith Ely took control of the company and moved to West Fairlee to direct the mine. The operation continued to grow until it was the largest copper mine in the country, reaching a peak employment of 851 workers in November 1881, of whom 205 were Cornish, with Ireland, Germany, France, Armenia, Italy, and Canada also supplying miners. Miners included children as young as 10. 

       More than 100 buildings were erected in the village that sprang up around the mine. There was a tailor, a photography studio, confectionary, meat market, livery stable, doctor's office, barber, millenary shop, library, and blacksmith. There were also Catholic and Methodist churches.

       But the fumes and slag that resulted from the operation devastated the local environment. The ore was mined from adits that went deep into the mountains. It was roasted for 2-3 months in beds, giving off sulfur fumes, and was then taken to the smelters, huge furnaces lined with brick. A chimney flue ran up the side of the hill to take away the worst of the smelter emissions, but not far away. A contemporary description says that "the country around the village is ... completely destitute of vegetation....For some distance around, all vegetable growth is sparse and stunted. And pervading everything is a most beastly odor from the roasting beds." (To this day, a century after the mine was closed, nothing grows around the smelter site.)

          In 1876, Smith Ely's grandson, Ely Goddard, took over the operation, changing his surname to Ely- Goddard in honor of his patron. Ely Ely-Goddard built a mansion called Elysium in the mining village, wore fancy clothing, and invited friends from New York, Paris, and Newport to parties, picnics, dinners, and dances. A private theatre put on shows and orchestra were imported form the cities. (The mansion was later moved to overlook Lake Fairlee and now can easily be seen from VT 244.)

       The Elys also became a political force in Vermont. Goddard was elected to the House of Representatives in 1878 and 1880 and the company lawyer, Roswell Farnum, became Governor in 1880. In 1878, the citizens of Vershire voted to change the town name to Ely, a vote reversed four years later. But Ely Depot, where the copper was loaded onto trains after the drive down from the mine, has retained the name. It is located at the intersection of VT 144 and US 5.

       Meanwhile, the company was struggling. In 1881, Smith Ely sold his shares in the mine to Goddard and Francis Cazin, a German engineer. They poured money into the operation, but it did not regain its profitability. Goddard fired Cazin, who then sued the company. By 1883, lawsuits, poor investments, and the falling price of copper as western mines opened brought the company to a crisis. On June 29, 1883, the day before pay day, the directors posted a sign that the mine would be closed unless the miners would take a pay cut. The men, who had gone two months without pay, revolted in what is called the Ely War. They went on strike, raided the company store, and marched on Smith Ely's home in West Fairlee, chanting "Bread or Blood!" Ely met with the workers, blamed the mess on Cazin, and promised they would be paid. The miners, doubting this, seized the company gunpowder and stated that they would destroy all company property if pay were not forthcoming. 

       Acting on the request of the Sheriff, the Governor called out the National Guard, sending 184 soldiers into town at dawn on Saturday July 6th. Expecting to meet an unruly mob, they found instead a quiet village, whose awakening inhabitants soon told of their grievances. The soldiers, disturbed by what had happened, gave their food to the miners and their families and marched back to the train. 

       This was the most important instance of labor unrest in Vermont history. The workers, naturally, received almost nothing. The company was declared bankrupt and was sold at auction in 1888. The Cornish Methodist church was moved first to South Vershire and, in 1978, to Vershire Village, where it is now the community center and symbol of the town. The Catholic church became a laundry in West Fairlee.

       Following the collapse, the mine changed hands many times and there were attempts to reopen it, to no avail. It is now owned by a British pension fund, which has offered to donate it to the state, which has refused the "gift." The mine is a Superfund site under the EPA, which tries to prevent it from contaminating Copper Creek and the groundwater that reaches into West Fairlee.

       With the closure of the mine, Vershire shortly lost two-thirds of its population. Its soil was played out, the mine was closed, and it was far from transportation corridors. By 1920, it held fewer people than it had in 1791 and the numbers continued to drop until only there were only 236 inhabitants in 1960.

       Since 1960, Vershire has grown slowly, to 560 people in the 1990 census. It is now the smallest town in Orange County, having wrested that title from West Fairlee in recent years.

       Vershire Center has been transformed into the Mountain School, a project of the Lawrence School and the Milton Academy, joined by many other preparatory schools across the nation. It teaches young rich kids about sustainable agriculture and rural life. There was, for a time, another school, the Vershire School, which reportedly taught sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll at Vershire Heights. Taking that School's property has been the Vershire Riding School, a summer camp focused on horse craft. The only other commercial establishments in the town are Ward's Garage in the Heights and a part-time chain saw store on VT113. Snowfields Farm has offered a wide variety of apples from the orchard on Moody Hill Road, but Phil Johnson has indicated to me that he and Carol will not renew their lease, so the future of the orchard is now in question.

       Vershire has one active church, the fundamentalist Vershire Bible Church. The Vershire Elementary School takes children through the sixth grade, after which they have a wide range of options from schools in surrounding communities. There is a post office and a town office. All of those establishments are in Vershire Village.

       The only active farms in Vershire seem to be the dairy farms of Roland & Rita French on South Vershire Road and Charlie Orr on Brown Road, a horse farm on Taylor Valley Road, and maybe one on Eagle Hollow Road.

       Beyond that, the only employment in Vershire is in lumbering and a variety of cottage industries, including weaving, writing, and such like. Vershire received publicity in the mid-nineties when North Road resident Annie Proulx won the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, The Shipping News, which remained on the best-seller list for about a year. Flush with money, however, Proulx moved to Wyoming.

     One of our Vershire researchers commented:  "Your brief  history of Vershire where I grew up  is very interesting, you might want to note that the church which is presently located in  Vershire Ctr. was manually moved from So. Vershire Rd, So. Vershire VT leaving behind a  very old cemetery that may be of interest to future genealogists and gravestone  preservationists. It would be a shame to have these grave sites lost to history. There is  also a REALLY old unkempt cemetery located above the Ely Copper mines that is suppose to  contain victims of the black plague. True or False?  Who knows?" 

Census Figures for Vershire, Vermont

1791 -- 439
1800 -- 1031
1810 -- 1311
1820 -- 1290
1830 -- 1260
1840 -- 1998
1850 -- 1071
1860 -- 1054
1870 -- 1140
1880 -- 1875
1890 -- 754
1900 -- 641
1910 -- 448
1920 -- 410
1930 -- 368
1940 -- 367
1950 -- 284
1970 -- 299
1980 -- 430
1990 -- 560
1960 -- 236
1970 -- 299 
1980 -- 430
1990 -- 560
2000 -- 629 


Vershire Records

Town Clerk's Office
Route 1 Box 66C - Vershire, VT 05079
 Phone:  802-685-2227 
Hours: T, W, Th, 8:15am-4:00pm


Vershire Query Posting

Please feel free to post a surname query for your ancestors  in Vershire on the 
Orange County Query Page

If your lines are not in Orange County, please do not enter a query on the Orange County Query Board. 
Post it in the correct county. 

Current and Archived Queries with information on how to Post your own query on the query page.


Vershire Lookup Volunteers

If you have any reference material on the Bradford area, or would like to volunteer to do lookups, 

We need volunteers who will help researchers. 
please let me know if you can assist in this.

Newsletters & Mailing Lists
Orange County Vermont Mailing List
Vermont State Mailing List
New England History Mailing List
Sleeper Queries Newsletter 

[Orange County]

[Vermont History and Genealogy]


Copyright © 1996-2004.

Vermont Coordinator ~ Karima

Orange County Genealogy Project.
Founded 21 September 1996. 

Vershire, Vermont Page established 
8 March 1997 
by Gil Varney, Jr., Anchorage, Alaska

This site maintained by: Karima
E-mail to Karima
Copyright © 1996-2004

You are the 20467thVisitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since August  17, 2002.

This nonprofit research network is affiliated with the American Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN), and the American History and Genealogy Project (AHGP), and hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit historical and genealogical Safe-Site Server. No claim is made to the copyrights of individual submitters, and this site complies fully with with USGenNet's
Nonprofit Conditions of Use.