The annual town meeting of 1801, was held at the Methodist
meeting-house which stood west of the corners, and Ezekel Ballard was moderator. A
committee was appointed consisting of Edward Vail, Henry Herrick, Jr., and
Stephen Williams, to settle with the selectmen, and to see if the trustees
had properly laid out a certain sum of money, appropriated for the purpose
of repairing the meeting-house. It was voted not to allow horses, sheep or
swine to run at large. There were some alterations made that year in the fourth and fifth school districts. The annual town meeting of 1802, was
also held at the meeting-house, Jonathan Seley, moderator. There were twenty
highway surveyors appointed that year, and another pound was built on the farm of Adam Johnson.
A town meeting was held the 30th day of January, 1804, Jared Lobdell, moderator, at which meeting it was voted to assess a tax of five mills on
the grand list of 1803, to pay the inKarimatedness of the town. We would
infer from this that the town was not badly in Karimat at that time. The annual
town meeting of 1804, was held at the house of Jonathan Seley, and Abel Horton
was moderator. It was voted to have five selectmen who would serve the
town free of charge. The five elected under those conditions, were Abel Horton,
John H. Andrus, Obediah Edmunds, Barton Bromley and Hosea Williams. A committee to make alterations in
school districts was appointed consisting of Roheth Allen, Hosea Williams and
Nathan Saulsbury. Another committee consisting of Jonathan Seley and
Edward Vail, was appointed to assist the county committee in laying out a county
road through the town.
By a vote of the town at the annual meeting of 1805, the boundaries of the
fourth, seventh and eighth school districts were established. In
consequence of the drought which occurred that year, crops were generally a failure.
There was no rain fell of any amount during the entire summer, which
caused considerable suffering among the inhabitants the following winter and
spring. A special town meeting was held in the spring of 1806, at the house of
Henry Herrick, Jr., for the purpose of instructing the selectmen to collect the
rents then due on the glebe land. Edward Vail was moderator of that
From the general list of the town in 1806, we find there were 202
polls, 5269 1-2 acres of improved land, and eighty-four houses, the assessment
upon which, and other property, amounted to $28,876 52. It was the law at that
time to add a two fold assessment to the amount of grand list. Militia men
and cavalry horses were exempt from taxation. The annual town meeting of 1807, was held at the meeting-house, and Daniel Parris was moderator.
In 1809, the annual town meeting was held at the inn of Henry Herrick,
Jr., and John H. Andrus was moderator. A town tax of five mills on the dollar
was voted for that year, and a board of school trustees were elected,
consisting of Amos Brown for the first district, Abel Horton for the second, John
Lobdel tor the third, Nathan Saulesbury for the fourth, Edward Vail for
the fifth, Jonathan Seley for the sixth, Aaron Rogers for the seventh, Hosea
Williams for the eighth, Joseph Irish for the ninth, whose duty it was to make such alterations in the districts as they deemed proper. A new and
tenth district was laid out that year. The annual meeting of 1810, was
also held at the Inn of Henry Herrick, Jr., and Abel Horton was moderator. Town
office was not very profitable in those times, as but small charges were allowed for services. Listers and selectmen were seldom allowed over five
dollars for their services during the year.
In 1810, the population of the town was 1730, a gain of 243 in ten years, and there had been a rapid increase of business during that time. The
Corners had become considerable of a business place. There were then two stores, one kept by James M. Daniels, and the other by James Weeks.
Jazniah Barrett was also in trade south of the Corners. There were two hotels, one
kept by Elisha Brown, and the other by Henry Herrick, Jr. There was also a
blacksmith shop, besides other small establishments. Several large manufacturing establishments had sprung up in different part of the town;
among these was the woolen factory by Jonathan Barrett, the trip hammer by
David Bartlett and Isaac Southwick, for the manufacture of edge tools, and
the tannery for the manufacture of leather, built at the Borough, by Peleg
Nichols, Hosea Williams and Bradford Barnes. There were also several saw mills in operation, supplying the inhabitants with lumber; and two
gristmills. Ten years had also witnessed some change in the settlement at the Borough. Several new houses had been built, and a hotel kept by
Augustus Mulford. Two stores were in operation there, by Hosea Williams and Jesse
Lapham, and doing good business. Quite a settlement had sprung up at Scottsville, and a tannery was carried on by Daniel Healey. There were put
into the list of that year, 206 polls, 8118 acres of improved land, 171 houses, 4 stores, 124 oxen, 1954 cows, and 390 horses. The above facts
will show that the grand list of the town had increased very rapidly.