Arleen's Short History of Vernon
Vernon was once part of Hinsdale NH (chartered 1753) and part of Northfield MA. It was called Northfield for 69 yrs, Bridgman's Fort for 12 yrs, Hinsdale for 49 yrs and Vernon to the present day. Vital records can be found in any of these three towns. Rte 142 (which is now known as Ft. Bridgman Road due to the E-911 changes), follows the Connecticut River from Brattleboro VT to Northfield, MA.
In the north end of town towards Brattleboro is the area of the site of Fort Bridgman, and Fort Sartwell was about 1/2 mile north. Sartwell's Fort was built in 1737 by Josiah Sartwell and was situated across the Connecticut River from Fort Hinsdale about 2 miles south of Fort Dummer (in Brattleboro).
Fort Bridgman was built by Orlando Bridgman. Also of interest is the Gov. Jonathan Hunt house, built by Lt. Gov. Jonathan Hunt. This is located on Gov. Hunt Rd (off from Rte 142) and is now the Information Center for the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant. The Vernon Historical Museum is in So. Vernon on Rte 142 in the old schoolhouse that served that end of town.
For more history of the town of Vernon, see "The History of Vernon" by Artemas Washburn, Esq., found in the Vermont Historical Magazine by Abby M. Hemenway (The Vermont Gazetteer - Windham County Volume 5).