LUDLOW VERMONT

Update 7/22/02

Genealogy

star-bullets.gif (241 bytes)

The town of Ludlow was granted to Jared Lee and sixty-five associates on September 16, 1760, by Governor Wentworth of New Hampshire. In a town meeting held October 8, 1792 about 11,739 acres was set off to form the town of Mount Holly, which was organized in that year.

Black River Academy Museum
14 High Street, Ludlow, VT
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 73, Ludlow, VT 05149
802-228-5050

The three-story structure that once housed the academy (Calvin Coolidge's alma mater) is now a historical museum for the town of Ludlow. There are academy memorabilia, 19th-century furnishings, costumes, tools, farm implements, a Finnish exhibit, and Coolidge memorabilia. Textile school offering courses in weaving, spinning and quilt making.  Contact Person: Georgia Brehm, Director

Hours and Admission: Memorial Day to Columbus Day, Tues Sat, 1 4 pm. No admission. Not accessible to the disabled. 

Ludlow Town Clerk
P.O Box 307 - Ludlow, VT 05149 Phone: (802) 228-3232.

                                         EARLY SETTLERS
Although the town was chartered in 1760 it was not until 1784 when James Whitney moved into that the town became permanently settled. The following year Simeon Read and Jesse and Josiah Feltcher moved with their families from Massachusetts and settled into the area. The fifth settler also came in 1785, Captain Elihu Ives, from Connecticut. His younger brother Levi came in 1786. The same year Ephraim Dutton, a native of Westford, Mass., settled in town. From 1786 until 1790 saw numerous families settles into the area. They were: Samuel Cook, from Preston, Conn, in 1789; Captain Joseph Green, of Leicester, Mass, in 1788; Captain Green's brother-in-law, David Bent, came from Templeton, Mass., in 1788; Thomas Bixby, from Westord, Mass; Jonas and John Hadley, from Groton, Mass, in 1788. Jonas returned to Groton and died there; Peter Read came along with his brother Stephen; Richard Lawrence came from Mason, NH in 1790; and Nathaniel and Jonathan Pingrey, from Rowley, Mass., in 1790. By 1791 the population was 179.

Prominent families of Ludlow: Warren Adams, Ransom E. Hawthorn, Elwin Howe, Elihu Ives, Stimson Family, Hiram and Rufus Warner, Bachelder Family, William D. Ball, Thomas and Calvin Bixby, Samuel Cook, Martin H. Goddard, George E. Lane, Pettigrew Family, Artemas Spafford, Asa White

Town Meeting

First Town Meeting was held at the house of Stephen Read on March 31, 1792. Jesse Fletcher, Jonas Hadley and Elihu Ives were chosen selectmen; Jesse Fletcher, town clerk, Josiah Fletcher, town treasurer; Simeon Read, constable; Isaac Powers, David Lewis and Jonas Holden, listers; Joseph Green, leather sealer; Thomas Bixby, pound-keeper; John Hadley, grand juryman; William Caldwell, tithingman; Orlando Whitney and Levi Bixby, haywards;  David Bixby, fence viewer; William Caldwell, Silas Proctor, Levi Bixby, Nathaniel Pingrey and Simeon Read, surveyors of highways.


Comments or Questions Welcome  
This Genealogy site Copyrighted by
Debbie Axtman 2-01-2000


USGENNET Hosted

 

Return to Main Page