Update 7/27/2002


star-bullets.gif (241 bytes)

Bar-barnfnce.gif (4089 bytes)

Welcome to Sharon a farm community of today still qualifies as a peaceful, rural small New England town. Nestled among the Vermont mountains, but still less than 1/2 mile from an interstate, that cuts across the state, Sharon retains its charm of days gone by.  Also because of its proximity to larger Vermont and New Hampshire towns, Sharon has grown and has increased its population.  A drive through the little town will instantly reflect this. 



The Town Historian - Phyllis Potter - 802-763-7631
She can provide you with the background of Sharon, first families, surname information, etc.

Town Clerk - Joanne Slater at the  Municipal Building, Rte 132, Sharon, VT. Mail Address: P.O. Box 250, Sharon, VT 05065  
Phone: 802-649-1810   Hrs. T-Th 7:30-12:30 & 1:30 - 6PM,  Wed. 7:30-12:30

Sharon Vital Records Office 
Sharon Town Clerk, P.O. Box 250, Sharon, VT 05065                 
(802) 763-8268

Old Town Hall - This historic building got too small to handle the town meetings and other gatherings.  Hence the Village meetings take place as the local school. This old Town Hall building is now deemed a historical building.  It is a museum filled with collections of old items, pictures, tools, and artifacts a from a bygone era.

The Town Library is on Rte 14 and that also has many reference volumes in which to research Sharon, it early history, residents, and records germane to the time.



The beginning of Sharon was by a charter granted by Governor Benning Wentworth of New Hampshire on August 17, 1761. The charter was granted to John Taylor and associates who numbered sixty-two in all.

The first proprietors meeting was held at Plainfield, New Hampshire on November 30, 1761 and Captain Timothy Wheeler was chosen moderator. The first meeting where town officers were chosen was held in Plainfield, NH on March 9, 1762, where they elected Captain Timothy Wheeler, moderator; Benjamin Spaulding, town clerk; Capt. Timothy Wheeler, Capt. James How and Daniel McKee; selectman; Capt. Timothy Wheeler, town treasurer; and Jonathan Parkhurst, collector. In November 1763 David Spaulding and Josiah Russell were chosen to lay out the lots for the new town.

According to Aldrich the town records for the first few years of the town have been destroyed but it is believed that the first town meeting occurred in 1768 or 1769. In a meeting on March 12, 1770 the following officers were elected: William Hunter, moderator and town clerk; Joel Marsh, supervisor; William Hunter, Benjamin Spaulding and Robert Havens, assessors; William Hunter, treasurer; Simeon Howe, collector: Isaac Wheeler, Ebenezer Parkhurst and Robert Havens, overseers of highways; Joseph Parkhurst, overseer of poor; Joel Marsh, constable; Benjamin Spaulding, fence viewer; William Hunter, Benjamin Spaulding and Ebenezer Parkhurst, commissioners to lay out highways.

The first setters to the area were Robert Havens, Isaac Marsh, Willard Shepard and a Mr. Parkhurst (either Joseph or Ebenezer), who came in 1764. The first male child born in town was Elias Marsh, son of Isaac, on March 25, 1768.

Prominent families: Baldwin Family, William Howard Chillson, Edwin L. Day, Wheaton Drown, Amos Emery, Fay Family, Martin D. Follett, Isaac Holt, Joel Henry Marsh, Mosher Family, Lt. Joseph Parker, Walter Parkhurst, Colonel Moses Preston, William Quimby, Francis Shirlock, John Porter Smith, Josiah Walbridge,

At a freeman's meeting held on March 3, 1778, the constitution of the State of Vermont was read and the following men took the freeman's oath: Joseph Barrett, Daniel Gilbert, Benjamin Spaulding, John Crery, William Hunter, Joseph Parkhurst, Stephen Powel, Elias Stevens, Ebenezer Parkhurst, Joel Marsh, Joseph Parkhurst, James Marsh and Reuben Parkhurst. In July 1778 the freeman's oath was taken by William Lovejoy, Moses Shepard, Isaac Wheeler, Jonathan Howe, Simeon Howe, Josiah Wheeler and John Parkhurst. 


Of interest to visitors and researchers alike, is the Joseph Smith Memorial Grounds.  This is the site of his birthplace, the founder of the Church of the Latter Day Saints.  This Church's Salt Lake City archives are the very foundation of genealogical records that we utilize.  Just 6 miles outside of Sharon is this 200 acres of rolling hills affording beautiful  vistas of the surrounding Vermont countyside.  Joseph Smith was born 13 December 1805.  It is also worth noting, an old family burying ground was not disturbed.  It is on the grounds, and  the 30-40 headstones are in very good condition dating back into the 1700's.  They are all a part of the Dewey clan buried there.  Free Guided Tours, (802) 763-7742.


                                        SURNAME LOOKUPS AVAILABLE

As a courtesy, Richard Chambers is willing to do lookups using a copy of the Grantor/Grantee Index of the Land Records (Deeds) for the Town of Sharon, Vermont:Vols.1-4 1772-1801(FHL microfilm 28908)and Vols.4-6 1801-1813 (FHL microfilm 28909).   Lookups available for years 1772-1813.

This is an INDEX ONLY that is organized alphabetically, allowing SURNAME  with First Name referencing. PLEASE, no lookup for JUST family names. Both surname and First Name must be submitted together. Send an Email to Richard.


Comments or Questions Welcome  
This genealogy site copyrighted by
Denise Perkins Ready 7-27-2002


Return to Main Page