Update 7/24/2002


star-bullets.gif (241 bytes)

Weathersfield Cemeteries


The town settlement of Weathersfield  was granted by Benning Wentwoth on August 20, 1761. It wasn't until 1769 that the first permanent settlement was made.

The original patentees were mainly from New Haven, Conn. and Northampton, Mass. Their first meeting was held on September 25, 1761 in New Haven at Daniel Lyman's house. Samuel Bishop, Jr., was elected clerk and treasurer, and a committee of Phineas Bradley, Abraham Thompson and Joseph Thompson of New Haven, Phineas Lyman of Hadley, and Silas Wright of Northampton, were appointed to view and lay out the town according to the charter.

The first town meeting was held on May 19, 1772. The following officers were elected: Dan Tuttle, moderator; William Upham, town clerk, Dan Tuttle, supervisor; Eliphalet Spafford and William Richardson, assessors; Benoni Tuttle and Gershom Tuttle, collectors; Benjamin Ailing and Aaron Blacksee, overseers of the poor; Dan Tuttle, William Richardson and William Upham, commissioners for laying out highways; Benjamin Alling, Aaron Blacksee and Joseph Douglas, surveyors of highways; William Upham and Moses Alling, fence viewers; Timothy Parkhurst, Benoni Tuttle, Eliphalet Spafford and Gershom Tuttle, pound-keepers.

Benjamin Alling arrived in Weathersfield in 1764 and did some work in the area but no actual settlement was made at this time. It was not until 1769 when Benjamin returned with Moses Alling, Gershom Tuttle, William Rexford and Aaron Blacksee that a permanent settlement was made. From the time of first settlement to the brewing of the Revolution the town grew slowly: Captain William and Asa Upham came from Sturbridge, Mass in 1772. Also about this time Dan Tuttle, Elphalet Spafford, William Richardson, Benoni Tutle, Joseph Douglas and Timothy Parkhurst became residents of the town. In 1773 Amos Richardson, Christopher Brookett, Tucker Hart, Israel Burlingame, Oliver Kidder, Hezekiah Grout, John Marsh and Edawrd Grannis settled in Weathersfield. Hezekiah's wife was captured by the Indians and remained a prisoner in Montreal for three years, but was finally ransomed and returned home. William Dean, from Connecticut, settled in in town in 1774, and was soon afterwards arrested and taken to Albany for cutting down pine timber without a permit from the king's officers.

The Revolution stopped almost all new settlement to Weathersfield. Between 1775 and 1780 only a few settlers came to the area. They were Asaph Butler, Levi Stevens, John White, Samuel Lewis and Abraham Downer.

The years 1780 through 1782 saw a number of new settlers to Weathersfield. Among them were Thomas Hutchins, Abijah White, Josiah Hatch, Waters Chilson and Joseph Hubbard. In 1780 Nathaniel Stoughton came from Windsor, Conn. About the same time Josiah and Daniel Dartt and the Tolles brothers, Clark, David, Henry and John located in the town. It was also about 1780 Oliver Diggins, Stephen Steel and John Bennett settled in Weathersfield.

In 1781 Edward Goodwin operated the only grist-mill in town. Also during this year the following men came to Weathersfield: Joseph Mason, Daniel Graves, Colonel Elijah Robinson, Thomas Prentice, Gershom Clark and Benjamin Wooster.

In 1782 Captain John Williams came from Marlboro, Vt and settled in the area of Perkinsville. In the same year Joseph Joslin, Gideon Lyman, Daniel Babcock, Asa Field, Samuel Cummings, David Polk, John Hill and Elijah Cady settled in town.

In the following year Amos Boynton, Gideon Chapin, David Paulk, Benjamin Warner, Samuel Sherman and Jonathan Nye moved into town. In 1784 Colonel John Boynton and Levi Field came to Weathersfield, the latter locating in the area of Ascutneyville.

Prominent Families of Weathersfield: Rev. James Converse, Jonas B. Davis, William and Benajah Dean, Martin Diggins, Richard and Darius Farwell, Field Family, John Gould, Bradford Grimes, Elijah Hall, Luther Hammond, William and Major Charles Jarvis, Streeter Family, Whipple Family, Boynton Family, Chamberlain Family, Joseph and Joseph Danforth, David and Hubbard Dickinson, Downer Family, Gowing Family, Grout Family, Haskell Family, Abner Jackman, Malcom McEwen, Hiram S. Morse, Samuel Murray, John and Peter Squire, Stoughton Family, Reuben and Issac Thompson Strow, John and Josephus Streeter, Tolles Family, George C. Wilson

Weathersfield Historical Society Museum

The Reverend Dan Foster House
Center Road, Weathersfield, VT (Hunter)

The house was begun during the Revolutionary War and completed in sections dating 1785 through 1825. The 18th-century barn was recently reconstructed. With the addition of the old forge in 1972, the complex houses an extensive collection of historical items, including Civil War memorabilia, a children's room, tools, clothing and textiles, a library with archival photos and genealogies, and the last panther killed in Weathersfield (1867). Activities include an annual antiques show in June, history hikes, lectures, and demonstrations. Contact Person: Nicholas Boke, 208 Jarvis Road, Weathersfield, VT 05151   Hours and Admission: late June to early Oct, Thurs Mon, 2 5pm and by appointment. Free.

Weathersfield Town Clerk:
Drawer E - Ascutney, VT 05030 Phone: (802) 674-2626.

Important Events

The first child born in the town was Dorcas, daughter of Eliphalet Spafford. On October 26, 1789 John Hubbard was given the right to hold a lottery to raise 150 pounds to build a brewery. On November 3, 1791, Abraham Downer and John Hubbard were given the same right to raise 200 pounds to build a brewery. During the spring and summer of 1791 there were over 70 cases of small-pox, nine of which were fatal. In the epidemic of spotted fever in 1812 the town lost seventy inhabitants.

In 1841 the academy was opened at Perkinsville under the superintendence of A.P. Chase and S.A. Bullard. On July 23, 1867, Mr. And Mrs. J.W. Gowing were murdered at their home in the east part of town for their money, by Hiram Miller, who was executed for the crime in Windsor, July 25, 1869. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact your new host, Gary Lull

Comments or Questions Welcome  
This genealogy site copyrighted by Gary Lull 2-01-2000


Return to Main Page