Place Names of Kitsap County, Washington
Compiled by Gary Fuller Reese
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z



Admiralty Inlet
The waterway connecting the Strait of Juan De Fuca with Puget Sound was named by Captain George Vancouver of the Royal Navy to honor the Board of Admiralty on June 2,1792.  The name is used less frequently as Puget Sound, which was originally meant to be the name of the waters south of the Tacoma Narrows, has been expanded to include the entire inland sea. (Meany, p. 1-2). (Kitsap Co)
 
 Agate Passage
Agate Passage connects the waterway of Port Orchard with Port Madison. It was named by Charles Wilkes in 1841 for Alfred T. Agate, an artist with the United States Exploring Expedition.
Agate Pass Bridge and Agate Point were also named for Mr. Agate and not for the agate stones that may or may not be found in the area. (Meany p. 2). (Kitsap Co)
 
Agate Point
In 1861 William De Shaw who married Mary Seattle Telase (Tso-tsath), a grand daughter of Chief Seattle, opened a store near the point (Marriott, pp 110-12). For several years he was an unofficial agent for the local Indian reservation. He is also credited with being the first person on Puget Sound to "...specialize in curing herring" (Kitsap, II, 151).  The place is named for Agate Passage. (Kitsap Co)
 
Anderson
Anderson is a community half-way between Gorst and Port Orchard.  The first settler was Sven Anderson who arrived in the 1860s.  A post office was established there on February 11, 1892. Little remains to mark the site of this settlement. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. l.) (Kitsap Co).
 
Anderson Cove
This indentation on Hood Canal is north of Holly. It was named for William and Mary Anderson who had a farm there and engaged in the fishing business as well (Kitsap, Appendix, p. l. ). (Kitsap Co).
 
Anderson Creek
Anderson Creek flows into Anderson Cove north of Holly. It rises in the hills to the east of Hood Canal and flows west being joined by a number of small creeks through land owned mostly by the large timber companies. (Kitsap Co).
 
Anderson Creek
This creek flows northwest into Hood Canal two miles east of Warrenville in the northwest corner of Section 13 of Township 25 North Range l Est WM.  It was named for Oluf and Hulda Anderson. (Kitsap Co).
 
Anderson Creek
This Anderson Creek rises in Sections 8 and 9 of Township 23 North Range l East W M and flows northeast into Sinclair Inlet. Sven Anderson arrived in the region in the 1860s and the creek was named for him. (See: Anderson). (Kitsap Co).
 
Anderson Landing
Anderson Landing is four and one half miles north of Seabeck and four miles south of Bangor on Hood Canal. Oluf and Hulda Anderson built a home there in the 1890s.  It achieved some notoriety during the 1930s as reportedly being used as a point in the liquor smuggling business. (Kitsap, Part IV, p.47).
(Kitsap Co).
 
Annapolis
Originally called Mitchell's Point, this community was named for Annapolis, Maryland, when local residents, John and Elizabeth Mitchell and E.H. and Ada Whitworth platted the town before the
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard was established nearby.  The streets in the community were named as memorials for naval heroes such as Perry, Farragut, Decatur, and Lawrence. (Kitsap Co).
 
Apple Cove Point
The Metsker 1986 Atlas of the county shows Apple Cove Point to be two miles north of Kingston on Puget Sound.
 
Apple Tree Cove
Apple Tree Cove was named by May 10, 1841, by Captain Charles Wilkes of the United States Exploring Expedition. "This was named Apple-tree Cover from the numbers of that tree which were in blossom around its shores." (Narrative IV, 304). Edmond S. Meany wrote "..the conclusion is forced to the mind that Wilkes saw dogwood trees in bloom and mistook them for apples." (Meany, p. 8). The bay could have also been lined with crab apples which grew in the region. (Kitsap County, Appendix, p. 1). (Kitsap Co).
 
Arness County Park
This two acre county park is a half mile south of Kingston on Puget Sound. It has four hundred feet of beach (Scott, p. 187). Sam and Esther Arness arrived at South Kingston in February of 1906. Of Norweigan ancestry Mr. Arness was a contractor, carpenter and worked in the woods. They raised ten children on their farm. (Kitsap II, 124-25). (Kitsap Co).
 
Arrow Point
Arrow Point is at the south entrance to Manzanita Bay on the west shore of Bainbridge Island. It was named because of a number of Indian arrow heads found on the point. It was platted in 1906 by Albert H. Lord who divided the point into thirty-three waterfront lots. (Hitchman, p. 9). (Kitsap Co).
 
Aschdale
Aschdale is a second name for Chinom Point. The George Asch family bought land on the point in 1927 and some maps give the property the name of Aschdale for them. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 1). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Bainbridge Island
This island in Puget Sound was named to honor William Bainbridge a United States Naval officer prominent in the War of 1812.(Meany, p.12). Bainbridge was appointed a lieutenant in the Navy on August 3, l798. He was promoted to commander on March 29, 1799, and to captain on May 20, 1800. He received the thanks of Congress "...for gallantry, good conduct and services..." for his capture of the British frigate Java. He died July 27, 1833. (Callahan, p. 35). (Kitsap Co).
 
Bainbridge Reef
This reef in Puget Sound is south of the south end of Bainbridge Island. There is a light on the reef to assist in guiding waterborne commerce from Seattle to Bremerton. (Kitsap Co).
 
Bangor
Bangor was formerly called Three Spits for the three spits of land jutting out into Hood Canal at that point. The post office department gave the name Bangor to the place when the post office name was changed from Carlston on July 16,1891. This name was given to the post office for Caleb Carleson who was the first post master but since there was a Charleston in the county the name was changed. Joseph B. Thurston, Edward S. Dewey and Harry Compton surveyed the townsite and platted it. The writers of Kitsap County History record that the place was named for Bangor, Maine. (Kitsap, IV, 104). (Kitsap Co).
 
Banner
Banner is in the northeast part of Section 16 of Township 23 North Range 2 East W M.  There was a school at Banner for a time. (Kitsap Co).
 
Barringer Dam
In 1969 R.O. Barringer built a nine foot high dam on Huge Creek to impound up to ten acre feet of water. (Inventory of Dams p.51). Huge Creek flows south into Pierce County in the Minter Valley. (Kitsap Co)
 
Barrons Bay
Wilkes named this bay for Commodore Samuel Barron who fought in the Tripoli War of 1805. Barron was promoted to captain in the United States Navy on September 30, 1798, and died October 29,1810. (Callahan, p.43). The present name for the location is Yukon Harbor. (Kitsap Co).
 
Bartow
Allen A. Bartow and his wife came to the Port Madison Indian Reservation about 1900.  Mrs. Bartow was the first post mistress when the post office was established there and Mr. Bartow was the first school teacher. When the post office was established it was named Bartow but was changed to Suquamish on February 11, 1908. (Kitsap Co).
 
Battle Point
Battle Point is one of the few places on Puget Sound where local history indicates that an Indian battle was fought.  This one was between Puget Sound Indians and those from the Queen Charlotte Islands.

The Northern Indians as they were called were quite war-like and as late as 1858  the Governor of Vancouver Island was not able to guarantee safety from their periodic raids on Puget Sound for plunder and slaves. Generally Puget Sound Indians were not well organized and were less war-like and were unable to overcome their enemies in a pitched battle.  A ninety acre park is now inland from the point. (Kitsap Co).
 
Beans Point
Bean's Point is an alternate name for Restoration Point. Reuben Dean filed for a Donation Land Claim, one of four in the county, near the point. Bean arrived in the northwest November 8, 1852 and settled on Bainbridge Island. He was murdered July 10, 1859 by a Tongass Indian from British Columbia. (Perry, p. 6). (Kitsap Co).
 
Beaver Dam Lake
This lake, nearly five acres in size, is one mile west of Kitsap Lake. It is one thousand feet long and was formed by beaver dames in Dickerson Creek. (Hitchman, p. 17). (Kitsap Co).
 
Belfair Siding
This railroad siding is nearly five miles east and north of Belfair in Mason County. The community of Belfair was named from a book entitled "St. Almo" which was being read by town post mistress Elizabeth Murray when the post office was being established. (Kitsap Co).
 
Belgrade
The capital of modern Yugoslavia was honored by being chosen as the name of this community one mile south of Bangor on Hood Canal. A number of people from Serbia, the republic of Yugoslavia in which Belgrade is located lived there. The place has also been called Hood Canal City and is now known as Olympic View. (Kitsap, IV, 109). (Kitsap Co).
 
Bethel
Bethel is a community south of Port Orchard and west of Long Lake. The first settlers established a church there in the 1880s and gave the Biblical name of "House of God" to their church and the community that grew up around it. (Kitsap, Appendix,p.l) (Kitsap Co).
 
Big Beef Harbor
The indentation on the east shore of Hood Canal is at the mouth of Big Beef Creek and is formed into a lagoon off the canal proper. It is southwest of Warrenville. See also: Little Beef. (Kitsap Co).
 
Big Bottom
Big Bottom is that portion of the Burley valley where the valley "...widens into the Sound..." at Burley Lagoon. The first home steaders were in the valley in the early 1880s. (Kitsap V, 69). (Kitsap Co).
 
Big Lake
Big Lake is the largest of four lakes; Nels Johnson, Lake Theresa, and Square Lake being the other three and four smaller bodies of water located on the McCormick Land Company development on McCormick Woods. (Section 17 Township 23 North Range l East WM).(Kitsap Co).
 
Bill Point
Bill Point is on the south cape of Eagle Harbor. The Wilkes Expedition named the harbor for its fancied resemblance to an eagle. Wing Point still remains but Bill Point does not often appear on recent charts of the region. (Meany, p. 19). (Kitsap Co).
 
Blackjack Creek
Thomas Kendall and Alfred Larsen claimed credit for naming this creek for the card game they often played. The creek is very dark and the water was often called "black."  (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 2).
(Kitsap Co).
 
Blake Island
Meany reports that the island was probably named for George Smith Blake, a naval officer who was in charge of the United States Coast Survey from 1837 to 1848.  He would have been the Coast Survey superior officer to Wilkes during the years of the United States Exploring Expedition of 1841. (Meany, p. 22). (Kitsap Co).

George Smith Blake became a midshipman on January 1, 1818, and a Lieutenant on March 3, l827. He was promoted Commander on February 27, 1847, and became a Captain on July 16, 1862. He died June 24, 1871. (Callahan, p. 60).  (Kitsap Co).
 
Blake Island State Park
Blake Island State Park consists of slightly more than four hundred seventy five acres with 17,307 feet of beach which includes the entire island. There are thirty-six camp sites and thirty-six picnic sites on the island. The total cost of the land was $2,107,484.60 and purchase by the state was completed in 1971.  (Kitsap Co).

There is a light on the east end of the island to assist waterborn commerce.
 
Blakely Harbor
Blakely Harbor which is now known as Port Blakely was named for Johnston Blakely, an officer of the United States Navy who, in 1815, was lost at sea on the sloop U.S.S. Wasp.  He  joined the Navy as a midshipman on February 5,1800.  When the post office was opened on February 22, 1867, it was known as Blakely Harbor but was changed to Port Blakely on December 31, 1890.( Callahan, p. 60). (Kitsap Co).
 
Blakely Rock
This rock is at the entrance to Blakely Harbor on the southeast shore of Bainbriedge Island. (Hitchman, p. 23). (Kitsap Co).
 
Blue Hills
The Blue Hills are west of Bremerton and to some the dark green of the fir trees takes on a blue tint as they are viewed from a distance. (Kitsap, Appendix, p.2). (Kitsap Co).
 
Brauers Cove
Brauers Cove is at Lemola on Liberty Bay.  It was named for Uno Noll and Sara Elizabeth Peterson Brauer. They had a chicken farm and a large orchard or their cove.  Mr. Brauer was also a Baptist preacher. (Kitsap, II, 54). (Kitsap Co).
 
Breidablik
Breidablik is on the northern end of Kitsap County. It was made a post office on November 30, l892.  It was named by Ole M. Able who thought that the home of Baldur, the Nordic god of love and beauty would be appropraite for the community. The post office was closed on August 1, 1906.(Kitsap, p. 2). (Kitsap Co).
 
Bremerton
Bremerton, the largest city in Kitsap County, is the home of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. It was incorporated on October 16,1901 and was named for William Bremer. Mr. Bremer platted the town on December 10, l891 and the post office was established on November 19, 1892. (Kitsap, Appendix p. 2).

William Bremer was born in Germany on June 12, 1843. He came to the United States in 1883 and lived in Minnesota and South Dakota before coming to Seattle in 1888. He helped found the town of Sidney as well as Bremerton. (Sketches, p. 119). (Kitsap Co).
 
Bremerton Junction
Bremerton Junction is in Section 31 of Township 24 North Range 1 East WM north of the Gorst to Belfair Highway. It is at the junction of the United States Navy railway system west of the Bremerton watershed.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Brooklyn
Brooklyn is now known as Manchester and was given that name in 1892.  It was hoped that there would be  a shipyard like that of the great Naval yard at Brooklyn, New York built nearby. (Kitsap Co).
 
Browns Bay
Browns Bay is on the west side of Port Orchard Bay on which Brownsville is located. Solomon Brown arrived in 1870 and was the first settler (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 2). (Kitsap Co).
 
Brownsville
Brownsville is on the west shore of Port Orchard Bay. The post office was established there on January 18,  1890 and was closed December 30, 1933.  Solomon Brown lived nearby and Andrew Nelson suggested that the post office be named for him. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 2). (Kitsap Co).
 
Buck Lake
This lake is "...hidden amongst the hills overlooking Hansville. Because of the abundance of deer in the early days it was called Buck Lake..." (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 7). (Kitsap Co)
 
Bulltown
Bulltown is an early name for Seabold. William Bull settled there with his father-in-law, John Johnson, and his brother-in-law, John Silven in 1880 (Perry, p.153). (Kitsap Co).
 
Burchillville
Located on the southwewst side of Bainbridge Island near Pleasant Beach George Burchill had a saloon, dance hall, and bowling alley which he called Burchillville. (Marriott, p. 99).  (Kitsap Co).
 
Burley
The community of Burley is at the head of Burley Lagoon on the Kitsap-Pierce County line. Meany reports that the place was named "...for an old settler..." (Meany, p. 31). The Kitsap County History  notes that it was named for Burley, Kentucky, because of the cigar plant set up by a cooperative brotherhood located there in the 1890s.  Meany also wrote that the first name of the place was Circle City because the buildings of the cooperative were placed in a circle. (Kitsap Co).
 
Burley Lagoon
Burley Lagoon is the most northerly portion of Henderson Bay separated from the main portion of the bay by a sandspit which stretches from Wauna almost to Purdy in Pierce County. Burley Creek flows into the Lagoon which is almost empty at low tide.  For many years an oyster operation was located in the lagoon. See: Burley. (Kitsap Co).
 
Butler
Butler was an early name for Gorst. Penn Butler built a home at the head of Sinclair Inlet in 1887 and the settlement was named for him. A post office named Butler was established on March 5, 1890 and was closed on October 14, 1893. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 2). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Camp Union
Camp Union was established as a logging camp by Thomas Murray of the West Fork Logging Company. Repair shops, a round house, and a store were features of the place. It was later purchased by the Charles R. McCormick Logging Company and was finally abandoned as a logging camp  (Kitsap, IV, 57). It is on Big Beef Creek west of Lake William Symington in the southwest part of Section Five, Township twenty-four North, Range One West, WM.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Carleston
Bangor was once called Carleston for Caleb Carleson who was the post master when the post office was established on April 26, 1890. There was, however, a Charleston nearby and mail was often
misdirected. On July 16,1891 the name of the post office and community was changed to Bangor. (Kitsap Co).
 
Carr Inlet
Lieutenant Overton Carr was honored by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 by having this inlet in Puget Sound named for him. Lieutenant Carr had experience in astronomical observations and on at least three occasions during the  Expedition set up observatories. He worked closely with Wilkes as Executive Officer of the Vincennes and was later placed in command of the Oregon. (Tyler, p. 335).
(Kitsap Co).

Carr became a commander on September 14, 1855, and retired December 3, 1861.  He became a captain on the retired list on April 4, 1867 and died March 5,1886. (Callahan, p. 102).
 
Carney Lake
Located on the Kitsap-Pierce County line east of Case Inlet this lake was named for the Carney family who first lived in the vicinity of Vaughn when they arrived in the Pacific Northwest in the 1880s. (Kitsap Co).
 
Cattail Creek
Cattail Creek flows northwest into Hood Canal at the north end of the Bangor Submarine Base. In 1854 the United States Navy built a dam to impound up to fifty-two acre feet of water for the base. (Inventory of Dams, p. 52). (Kitsap Co).
 
Central Valley
This farming and residential area between Brownsville and Silverdale was first settled by John Paulson in 1884. It was in the central part of that region of the county. "It was first settled in the early 1880s mostly by Scandinavians who logged the land and started farms." (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 2). (Kitsap Co).
 
Charleston
At least two differing name orgins are claimed for Charleston. Edmond S. Meany wrote that it was named for the U.S.S. Charleston when the post office was established there on June 5, 1891. (Meany, p.43).  The Kitsap County History writers noted that they believed that it was named by W.O. Beiletter for Charlestown, South Carolina. (Kitsap Co).

The town was originally called Port Orchard and was platted on Feburary 8, 1891. On August 19, 1893, it became part of the town of Port Orchard which was then on the site. The name of this town was changed to Charleston on January 12, 1903.  The town of Charleston was consolidated with Bremerton on December 12, 1927 and the post office was closed on March 15,1929.
 
Chico
Chico is on Dye Inlet in Puget Sound. It was named by B. S. Sparks in 1889 for an Indian named Chico who owned land nearby. Chico was also known as William Whoa Whoa. He lived a long life of over one hundred years. (KItsap, IV, 27).  The post office was established on February 25, 1889 and was closed on May 15, 1924. (Kitsap Co).
 
Chico Bay
Chico Bay is the southwest arm of Dye Inlet. Chico Creek flows into the Bay at this point. (Kitsap Co)
 
Chico Creek
Chico Creek, also known as Wildcat Creek on its upper reaches rises near Wildcat Lake and flows east and then north into Chico  Bay. See: Chico. (Kitsap Co).
 
Chief Seattle Park
Metsker's Atlas of Kitsap County shows Chief Seattle Park as being south of Suquamish on the mainland side of Agate Passage.  Chief Seattle is buried nearby at Suquamish. The city of Seattle is named for him although his major residence was at or near Old Man House at Suquamish.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Chinom Point
This point on land is on the eastern shore of Hood Canal opposite the town of Eldon.  The 1841 Wilkes Expedition named the place TCHINOM without an explanation. (Hitchman, p. 47). (Kitsap Co).
 
Christianson Corner
This community is four miles south of Port Gamble.  Charles L. Christianson is listed as owning the land there in the 1950s. (Kitsap Co).
 
Circle City
Edmond S. Meany, in writing of the cooperative community founded on the west side of Burley Lagoon recorded that the colony was first known as Circle City because the buildings of the cooperative were placed in a circle. (Meany, p. 31). (Kitsap Co).
 
Clam Bay
This bay is on Rich Passage and is part of the United States Naval Reservation.  There were a number of good clam beds on the beaches of the bay at one time.  Manchester State Park is on the northwest side of the bay. (Kitsap Co).
 
Clare Marsh
Clare Marsh is in Bremerton on Wheaton Way north of Bremerton High School.  The Samuel Clare family arrived in 1904 and purchased land upon which the Bremerton Dairy was located. The property was maintained until the 1920s when it was divided. (Kitsap, III,89). (Kitsap Co).

Berniece Root noted that the marsh was an ice skating spot until  the 1960s when it was filled to become a shopping center. (Jenson, p. 130).  The 1986 Metsker county atlas shows the place to be Claire Marsh.
 
Clear Creek
A heavily timbered valley "...extending about four miles north of Silverdale with a creek flowing through the entire area..." was named by Hannah Schold after her first night in the vally on March 12, 1886.  A storm came up and the "...wind howled through the little valley....In the morning when the winds died and the sun broke through Hannah decided to name the little creek, Clear Creek."(Kitsap, IV, 97-98.). (Kitsap Co).
 
Coal Bay
About 1884 some lumps of coal were found along the small creek that runs into this bay. It is now known as Yukon Harbor. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 2).  See also: Colby. (Kitsap Co).
 
Colby
This community opposite Blake Island was once known as Coal Bay.  The name was later shortened to Colby. A post office was established on November 13, 1884 (Meany, p. 51.). The Kitsap County History reports that there was once a Chief Colby. (Kitsap, p. 2). (Kitsap Co).
 
Colchester
Located between Colby and Manchester the name of this community is a coined composite of Col from Colby and Chester from Manchester. (Phillips, p. 29). (Kitsap Co).
 
Colvos Passage
This waterway between the west side of Vashon Island and the Kitsap Peninsula was named for Passed Midshipman George Colvocoresses of the Wilkes Expedition.  Wilkes often wrote the name as Colvos. The name West Passage has also been attached to the waterway.

George Colvocoresses was born in Greece in 1816 and was involved as a child in the massacre of Scio when the Turkish army reportedly killed 60,000 Greeks in the 1820s.  He was brought to the America and joined the United States Navy in 1832.  He was active in the Civil War retiring in 1867. He was murdered by a robber near Bridgeport, Connecticut on June 3, 1872. (Colvocoresses, p. 163-70). (Kitsap Co).
 
Coon Bay
Coon Bay is on Hood Canal at the northwest corner of the county in a region of "developments." They include Hood Canal Shores, Driftwood Key, Homestead and Shore Acres.  Other animals such as the skunk in Skunk Bay and the deer in Buck Lake are honored in this part of the county. (Kitsap Co).
 
Cougar Smith Hill
Located in Township Twenty-four North Range One East west of Bremerton this hill was named for John Andrew Smith who received the nickname of Cougar for pioneer exploits. He died in Seattle in 1951 (Hitchman, p. 57). (Kitsap Co).
 
Country Club
Country Club is a landing at Restoration Point built after 1891 when a country club was established on the southeast tip of Bainbridge Island by Seattle residents near the point. (Kitsap Co).
 
Creosote
In 1905 the creosoting plant of the Pike Preserver Company was moved from Port Madison to a location south of Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. The post office was named Eagle Harbor when it was established on December 21, 1907, but was changed to Creosote on July 8, 1908 and was closed on September 30, 1956. (Kitsap Co).
 
Crosby
A town in the western part of the county six miles southwest of Seabeck was named by Mrs. John Graham in 1891 after a town of that name in England. (Meany, p. 61) or for an estate where she worked before she came to America. (Kitsap, VI, 94).  James Graham was the first post master when the post office was established on October 3, 1891.  The post office closed on October 15, 1895, reopened on September 1, 1905 and closed April 15, 1918. (Kitsap Co).
 
Crouch Creek
This two mile long creek flows into Burke Bay. It was named for David N. Crouch (1852-1944).  It is in Section 14 of Township 25 North Range l East W M (Decisions, 7304, October-December,  1973). (Kitsap Co).
 
Crystal Springs
A town on the west shore of Bainbridge Island was "probably named for the many springs that dot the hillsides..." (Kitsap, IV, 93).  The post office was established April 25, 1891 and was closed May 15, 1919. (Kitsap Co).
 
Curley Creek
Curley was a Suquamish Indian who was a "...good man of speech in the Indian langauge.." (Kitsap, Appendix p. 3). The creek flows north into Yukon Harbor at South Colby. (Kitsap Co).

 
 
Deadmans Bar
Elsie Marriott in her book on Bainbridge Island recorded that Yeomalt Point was first called Deadman's Bar "...because of the fact that there on the point the sea had cast ashore the remains of one of its unknown victims." (Marriott, p. 74). (Kitsap Co).
 
Deadmans Island
A small island in Port Madison Harbor which was the site of the first cemtery on Bainbridge Island is known to history as the place where six men killed in an explosion in 1861 at the Port Madison Lumber Company sawmill were buried. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).
 
Decatur
The town of Manette was once named Decatur to honor Stephen Decatur. Theodore O. Williams platted the area into town sized lots.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Decatur Reef.
The sloop of war Decatur defended Seattle during the Indian War of 1855-56. It encountered the reef which was given the name of the vessel during this time period. (Meany, p. 65). The reef is off Restoration Point in Puget Sound. Thje sloop was built in 1838-39 in New York. It arrived in the Northwest on July 19, 1855, and was eventually sold out of the Navy on August 17, 1865 (American Naval Fighting Ships, II, 248). (Kitsap Co).

Stephen Decatur was born on January 5, 1779, and served in the United States Navy in the Tripoli War and the War of 1812. He was killed in a duel by James Barron on March 22, 1820.
 
Devils Hole
This location is one mile north of Bangor in Hood Canal. When the tide is strong in the nearby lagoon ships passing by have difficulty. On one occasion a boom of logs was passing and the captain of the tugboat was unable to keep the boom from drifting ashore and made the remark that it was a devil of a hole. (Kitsap,  Appendix, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).

A second version of the name is that the place was known as the Devil's Hole because the Indians thought a terrible monster lived under the cliff. (Kitsap, IV, 104).
 
Dewatto River
This river rises in Ludvick Lake in the southwestern part of the county and flows eight miles south to Dewatto Bay. The Indian name "Du-a-ta" is recorded to mean "...the place where evil spirits come out of the earth." (Hitchman, p.71). (Kitsap Co).
 
Dickeyville
Dickeyville is the original name for Silverdale. A post office was established on Feburary 15, 1890 with the thought that the place would be named Goldendale but since there was another Goldendale in the state the name Silverdale was chosen. Silvanus A. Dickey was a local politican, school teacher, and newspaper editor. (Kitsap, IV, 88). (Kitsap Co).
 
Dog Fish Creek
Dog Fish Creek flows south into Liberty Bay at Poulsbo. The creek was named when Liberty Bay was called Dog Fish Bay.See: Dog Fish Bay.
 
Dog Fish Bay
Harry Prescott worked the bay of Poulsbo catching dog fish to render into oil for logging camps and sawmills. Local residents worked to change the name of Liberty Bay in 1893. (Middleton, p. 123). (Kitsap Co).
 
Dyes Inlet
This inlet is in the northwestern end of Puget Sound and is joined to Port Orchard and Sinclair Inlet by Washington Narrows which runs through the city of Bremerton. The name was given to the inlet by the 1841 Wilkes Expedition for John W. Dyes, assistant taxidermist, who was usually assigned to the U.S.S. Vincennes.

A post office was established at Dyes Inlet on June 4, 1884, and was closed on July 31, 1884. The post master was Dora Abrahamson who the next month, August 20, 1884, was named the post master of the Sackman post office which later became Tracyton. (Meany, p. 74). (Kitsap Co).

 
 
Eagle Harbor
An inlet on Bainbridge Island was named Eagle Harbor by the Wilkes Expedition.  There was a Henry Eagle in the United States Navy at the time and there was a ship named Eagle stationed on Lake Champlain during the War of 1812. Meany reports that the place could have been named for an eagle since wing and bill were also used for the names of nearby points of land.

Hitchman reports that it was named for Henry Eagle and some writers have assigned this origin to Eagle Island in Pierce County although that island was named by the British surveyor Robert A. Inskip.
(Kitsap Co).

Elsie Marriott wrote that "...bald headed eagles which nested--great numbers of them--on the north point of Eagle harbor..." may have accounted for the name..." (Marriott, p. 76).

There was a post office at Eagle Harbor from June 19,1884 to June 22, 1886 and from December 21, 1907  to July 8, 1908. The place was also called Madrone and finally the town that grew up around the harbor became known as Winslow.
 
Eagledale
This community was once called South Side. A contest was held in the 1920s for a better name. Edward Severson submitted the name Eagledale and it was chosen. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 3.). (Kitsap Co).
 
East Bremerton
This town, now consolidated with the City of Bremerton, was on the east side of the city. It has been called Manette, Stringtown and Decatur. (Hitchman, p. 78). (Kitsap Co).
 
Echo Narrows
Connecting Oyster and Ostrich Bays, this body of water was named by the Marine Drive Improvement Club in 1929 for the tall trees that threw echos back and forth across the water. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).
 
Edgewood
Edgewood is a community which was at the edge of the forest that was first settled in the 1880s.  It is now part of the city of Port Orchard. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).
 
Eglon
Eglon is in the northern party of the county. The post office was given a Biblical name taken from Eglon "...in ancient Canaan which had been named for the King of Moab in the Old Testament." (Carson, p. 36). The original name of the community was to be Silver Creek but since a post office of that name existed in Lewis County, the Biblical name was chosen. (Hitchman.p. 80). The post office was opened on October 20,1906 and was closed on June 30, 1964). (Kitsap Co).
 
Elwood
This landing, store and warehouse was named and established by Deward Drake in 1911 on a peninsula below present Jackson Park because "...every dock had to have a name so that freight could be delivered." (Kitsap, IV, 19 ). The name was reportedly "...picked ...out of a newspaper..." It was formerly called Shell Point. (Kitsap Co).
 
Enetai
Enetai was the first location of Port Orchard, the early mill town not the county seat.  The word is Chinook Jargon and means "across" or "a crossing" referring to its location across Puget Sound from Alki, the first settlement in the site of present Seattle. (Hitchman, p.84). (Kitsap Co).
 
Erland Point
Located on the south end of Dye Inlet this point separates Chico Bay from the rest of the inlet. Steve Wilson, an Indian, was prominent in the construction of a Roman Catholic church there when the place was called Steve's Point.  Later Knute and Marie Erland bought land on the point and used it as a summer camping place beginning in 1912. The Erlands were owners of a tent and awning company in Seattle and summered there for many years. (Kitsap, IV, 30). (Kitsap Co).
 

 
Falks Bay
Falks Bay is an early name for Rolling Bay. Dona and Mathilda Falk moved to Bainbridge Island in the 1890s.  A post office was once established there with Mr. Falk as post master.  The Falks had a family of eight children and there were business interests both on the island and in Seattle. (Perry, p. 156). (Kitsap Co).
 
Fay-Bainbridge State Park
John Fay, a professor at the University of Washington and a member of the Board of Regents of the University before 1913, owned a large parcel of property on Bainbridge Island. The State of Washington purchased seventeen acres of land from his estate in 1944 for five thousand dollars.  In 1970 additional land was acquired so that the park now boasts 1,420 feet of beach with thirty-six camp sites and eighty picnic sites. (Kitsap Co).
 
Fern Lake
Fern Lake is one half mile from the southwest corner of the county where it joins Mason and Pierce Counties.  Rock Creek runs through the lake. Sword ferns, salal and other forest brush products were for many years an important source of local income for  use in the floral industry. (Kitsap Co).
 
Ferncliff
Ferncliff is a small community on the east side of Bainbridge Island on the south side of Murden Cove.  It was first called Rolling Bay City by a Mr. Pettit who built a dock which he called Pettit's Landing.  A Mr. Lowman suggested Ferncliff for a name when the community club was organized. (Marriott, p. 75). (Kitsap Co).
 
Fernwood
Fernwood is a community in the southern part of the county "...named for the large number of ferns growing in the woods.."  It was once the name of Kitsap County School District 41. (Kitsap Co).
 
Finney Creek
This creek flows into Puget Sound at Olalla. Many of the short creeks along Puget Sound were alive with fish during the migrations especially in the spring. (Kitsap, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).
 
Fletcher Bay
On the west shore of Bainbridge Island, this bay was named for William C. Fletcher who had a land claim there which was filed on July 17, 1869. A post office was established on July l6, 1915. (Meany, p. 87). The bay was once called Greek George's Bay. (Marriott, p. 103). (Kitsap Co).
 
Forest City
This small town south of Port Orchard was incorporated on August 27, 1946 "...because it was surrounded by a vigorous stand of second growth coniferous trees..." (Hitchman, p. 93).  It was disincorporated in 1949 after residents grew tired of being on their own. (Kitsap Co).
 
Fort Decatur
During the Indian War of 1855-56 local settlers built a stockade to protect themselves from possible Indian attacks.  Fort Decatur, as it was named, was on the site of what is now East Bremerton.  It was named for Stephen Decatur for War of 1812 fame but was probably more directly named for the U.S.S. Decatur which was on station during the Indian War and was prominent in the defense of Seattle during the War. (Kitsap, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).
 
Fort Kitsap
This fort was built by volunteer troops during the Indian War of 1855-56 to protect Port Madison. It was named for "...a friendly Yakima Chief..." according to Robert Frazer. (Frazer, p. 170).  In 1857 the blockhouse became the county jail and court room. See:  Kitsap. (Kitsap Co).
 
Fort Ward
This military establishment near the entrance to Port Orchard was named June 12,1903 for Colonel George H. Ward who was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War and subsequently died of his wounds.

A report dated June 12, 1903, noted that the Fort consisted of three hundred seventy five acres on Bainbridge Island and three hundred seventy-five acres on the mainland across Rich's Passage. (Meany, p. 9l). (Kitsap Co).

The fort was built as part of the coastal defense system to protect lower Puget Sound from hostile attack especially the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard at Bremerton. The larger forts closer to the open ocean were Forts Flagler, Casey, Worden and Ebey.

Fort Ward had its own post office from July 15,1903 to June 30, 1920.
 
Fort Ward State Park
This one hundred thirty-seven acre state park was purchased by the state beginning in 1960. It has a total beach front of 4,300 feet. (Scott, p.195). (Kitsap Co)
 
Foulweather Bluff
This bluff on the Kitsap County side of the entrance to Hood Canal was named by George Vancouver in 1792 "...in consequence of the change we experienced in its neighborhood..." (Meany, p. 92).  Wilkes recorded its name as Suquamish Head. (Kitsap Co).
 
Fragaria
Located on Colvos or West Passage in Puget Sound, this community was named for the family of plants to which the strawberry belongs. It was named by Ferdinand Schmitz on February 15,1912, for the berries there. (Meany, p. 93). A post office was in operation for a few years beginning on December 14, 1911. (Kitsap Co).
 
Frykholm
Fryhkolm was an early name for the community of Scandia. John Frykholm, an early settler, was opposed to having the place named for him and suggested that it be named Scandia because many of the settlers were from northern Europe. (Carson, p. 75). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Garden Point
The Wilkes Expedition named Restoration Point Gorden Point for the quartermaster who was a member of one of the crews on the 1841 expedition.  His name was John Gordon. (Hitchman, p. 250).  The name, Garden, has incorrectly been attached to the place. (Kitsap Co).
 
Gazzam Lake
The W.L. Gazzam family built a large home ".. which commanded such a superbly grand view..." of Port Orchard Bay. (Marriott, p. 101). Mr Gazzam was President of the Kitsap County Transporation Company which ran autobuses in the region.

The lake is above the west side of Bainbridge Island.

Warren L. Gazzam was born in Alabama on June 8, 1863. He moved to Seattle where he worked in the insurance and banking business. In 1904 he organized the Kitsap County Transporation Company. He also served as Indian Agent from 1885 to 1887.  (Sketches, p. 170). In 1916 he formed the Indianola Beach Land Company to sell lots "...for recreational or camping property..." (Carson, p. 3). (Kitsap Co).

 
Gilberton
Gilberton was settled in 1888 by Thor and Olive Gulbranson and their four children. In 1895 the Gulbransons received a patent to the land. The name was changed to Gilberton when the family, in 1909, changed their name. (Hitchman, p. 250). (Kitsap Co).
 
Glenwood
Glenwood is a community in South Kitsap County in the Minter Valley.  It was named for a glen in the woods. A school district named Glenwood existed as "...the most southern and eastern..." in the county  " as it borders Pierce County. (Kitsap, p. 4). (Kitsap Co).
 
Gluds Point
This small lake near Brownsville was created by William T., John and Clarence Guld in 1932 when they built a dam behind which they raised fish. The dam is fourteen feet high and impounds up to fourteen acre feet of water. (Inventory of Dams, p. 52). (Kitsap Co).
 
Gold Creek
This creek is west of Bremerton and flows westward from Gold Mountain. See: Gold Mountain. (Kitsap Co).
 
Gold Mountain
The highest point of this ridge is 1761 feet. It is in Sections 22,27, and 28 of Township 24 North Range l East WM west of Bremerton. A gold mine operated on the mountain in the 1890s with shafts gone into the mountain, one seven-hundred and seventy-five feet. It was  abandoned at the time of the Alaska Gold Rush. (Kitsap, IV, 56).   An important television broacast antenna is located on Gold Mountain. (Kitsap Co).
 
Goldendale
Goldendale was a proposed name for Silverdale. Since there was another Goldendale in the state the local residents went "down one" in the precious metals scale and chose silver. (Kitsap Co).
 
Gordon Point
See: Garden Point
 
Gorst
Gorst is at the head of Sinclair Inlet. It was named for John and Lovina Gorst who settled there in the 1880s.  Mr Gorst was born in New Brunswick in 1839, served in the United States Army during the Civil War and lived in Minnesota before coming to Seattle in 1888. Samuel Gorst, a brother, settled there in 1895. (Kitsap, V, 14). (Kitsap Co).
 
Gorst Creek
Gorst Creek rises in the extreme southwest corner of Section Six (Kitsap Co).of Township 23 North Range 1 E WM and flows into Sinclair Inlet. See: Gorst. (Kitsap Co).
 
Greek Georges Bay
This was an early name for Fletcher Bay on Bainbridge Island. It was named for George Alap, originally from Greece, who lived on the bay until his death in 1892. (Marriott, p. 103). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Hansville
Captain Troutman of the steamer, Dodge, began calling this community south and east of Foulweather Bluff Hansville from the first name of Hans Zacariasen, an early settler, who caught bait and sold it to fishermen who were on their way to the fishing grounds farther north. (Kitsap, II, 104). (Kitsap Co).
 
Happy Valley
William Anderson had a home on Anderson Creek. "His place was always known as Happy Valley where he lived in contentment with his faithful old squaw...getting his living entirely from the soil, and some little fishing..." (Kitsap, IV, 65). (Kitsap Co).
 
Harmons Landing
Harmons Landing was an early name for Harper. George and Jennie Harmon moved there in 1887.  Mr. Harmon was a mail carrier for a time in the community. (Kitsap, IV, 108). (Kitsap Co).
 
Harper
Harper is on Yukon Harbor between Southworth and South Colby. Frederick Harper, who founded the Harper Brick and Tile Company in 1899, owned land there and the brick and tile works were very successful for a number of years.  A post office was established on December 11,1900. (Kitsap, V, 108. (Kitsap Co).
 
Harper County Park
This park is on State Highway 160 south of Harper. It consists of forty acres of land with a beach front of five hundred feet.  It does not have regular maintenance. (Scott, p. 197). (Kitsap Co)
 
Hawley
Hawley is on the north shore of Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. It was named for a Mr. Hawley who purchased land in the region in 1924 to plant for summer homes but died shortly afterward. He did not live on the island. (Hitchman p. 120). (Kitsap Co).
 
Head of the Bay
Virginia Stott's article on Gorst written for the Kitsap County history (Kitsap, V, 14) used the name "Head of the Bay" to describe activities at the west end of Sinclair Inlet near present Gorst in the 1890s. (Kitsap Co).
 
Hedley Spit
Hedley Spit is a shoe shaped spit one mile east of the community of Port Madison on the northeast end of Bainbridge Island. It was named for an early settler and was also once called Jack Spit. (Hitchman, p. 121). (Kitsap Co).
 
Highland
This community is in the hills southeast of Port Gamble.  It was settled by Charles Ramsey in 1855 (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 4) (Kitsap Co).
 
Hintzville
Hintzville is a community on the Holly-Seabeck road. It was named for Julius and Ida Hintz who settled there in 190l.  Mr. Hintz as a painter and worked in the logging industry.  He was born in Danzig, Germany, on March 14, 1857 and died January 10, 1928.  Ida was born April 21,1860 and died June 1, 1938. (Kitsap, IV, 57). (Kitsap Co).
 
Hite
Hite has also been known as Hite Center. It was named after the Hite family who lived there. Ash Hite was born June 15, 1847 and died August 16,1931. Alice, his wife, was born January 29,1853, and died February 28, 1931.  Mr. Hite was a Civil War veteran and first settled at Crosby. (Kitsap, IV, 55).  (Kitsap Co).
 
Holly
Holly was a post office on Hood Canal in the southwestern part of the county. It was named by Robert Wyatt in 1895 for a large holly tree near the post office which was established on November 7, l893 and closed on August 15, 1928. (Meany, p. 115). (Kitsap Co).
 
Hood Canal
The western arm of the great inland sea of Western Washington was named by George Vancouver of the Royal Navy for Admiral Lord Hood, one of the leading lights of the Navy for many years. Vancouver wrote "...I called it Hood's Channel." (Meany, p. 115). (Kitsap Co).
 
Hood Canal City
In 1910 a proposed townsite on Hood Canal about a mile south of Bangor was settled by a number of families of Yugoslav ancestry.  The name of the place became Belgrade instead of Hood Canal City and this was later changed to Olympic View. (Kitsap, IV, 109). (Kitsap Co).
 
Hood Point
On Hood Canal, this point of land is near Nellita in the southwestern part of the county at the north end of Frenchman Cove.  (Kitsap. p. 4). Robert Hitchman noted in his book on name origins that the place had been called Sandy Point by Charles  Wilkes but "...because too many features were given that name, the present designation was borrowed from Hood Canal."  (Kitsap Co).
 
Hornbecks Spit
The spit on the north shore of Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island east of Winslow was named for John C. Horbeck who built sailing ships there in the 1860s and 1870s. Two famous vessels built there were the Tolo and the Alta. (Hitchman p. 126). (Kitsap Co).
 
Horseshoe Lake
This lake near the Kitsap-Pierce County line west of Burley was named for its shape somewhat like a horseshoe. (Kitsap Co).
 
Huge Creek
Huge Creek in the Minter Valley is now the west branch of Minter Creek. Early maps show Huge Creek to be the main stem of the creek it being the largest creek to flow into Puget Sound at Minter Bay. (Kitsap Co).

 
 
Illahee
Illahee is on the west shore of Port Orchard Bay north of Bremerton. A post office was established there on October 2, 1916 and was closed on April 30, 1928. The name is of Indian origin and means "...a place of rest..."  or a "...place to rest..." (Kitsap, III, 19). (Kitsap Co).
 
Illahee State Park
Illahee State Park is on Port Orchard Bay north of the community of Enetai. The park consists of 74.9 acres with forty-one campsites and eighty-eight picnic sites. It has l,785 feet of shoreland on Port Orchard Bay. The total cost of acquisition completed by the State of Washington in 1954 was $35,351.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Indian Bay
Indian Bay is west of Indianola and is an inlet in Miller or Squaib Bay. It is separated from Puget Sound by a sand spit.  It is north of the Port Madison Indian Reservation.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Indian Peninsula
Indian Peninsula was the name given by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 to the land lying between Hood Canal and Puget Sound, most of which is in Kitsap County with two peninsulas, Gig Harbor and Key, continuing into Pierce County. (Howell, p. 10).  Large numbers of Indians were living there when Wilkes visited in 1841. (Kitsap Co).
 
Indian Ridge
This low ridge is one mile east of Hintzville in Section 13 of Township 24 North Range 2 West WM.  The area was once inhabitied by local Indians. (Kitsap Co).
 
Indianola
This town on the Port Madison Indian Reservation on Suquamish Bay was named by Ole Hanson, a former Seattle Mayor and local landowner. "Hanson named the townsite for Lockrey's (an early settler) Indian wife and for himself by adding his first name in a slightly altered form..." (Hitchman, p. 133). A post office was established June 1, 1959. (Kitsap Co).
 
Indianola Junction
Located two and a half miles northwest  of Indianola this road junction joins the roads to Kingston on the north, Poulsbo on the west and Suquamish on the south. (Kitsap Co).
 
Island Center
Island Center is one half mile east of Fletchers Bay on Bainbridge Island.  Mrs. Ida Anderson, in assisting the organization of a Sunday School in 1878 supplied the name for the place to which supplies were to be sent. (Marriott, p. 104). (Kitsap Co).
 
Island Lake
Island Lake is north of Bremerton on the Highway to Port Gamble.  The lake has a small island in its southern side and it is a popular resort area. (Kitsap Co).

 
 
Jackson Park
This area, originally known as Shell Point and as Elwood Point was named for U. S. Senator Henry M. Jackson whose work in support of the defense efforts of the county has had a great impact on the county and its military and naval installations. (Kitsap, IV, 33). (Kitsap Co).
 
Japtown
Japtown was a "...long alley of shacks constructed in lean-to fashion--hundreds of them---one against the other." (Marriott, p. 89). The place, on the south side of Blakely Harbor, had a store, a beer parlor, and housed Orientals who worked at the local sawmills. (Kitsap Co).
 
Jarstad Lake
This lake is in the Bremerton Watershed. It was named for Otto Jarstad who, in the 1902, became manager of the Bremerton-Charleston waterworks and lived on the property. Sons of Otto Jarstad have been prominent in Tacoma and Bremerton politics. (Kitsap, V, 14). A small seven foot high dam was completed in 1935 to impound up to ten acre feet of water for the City of Bremerton (Inventory of Dams, p. 53).  (Kitsap Co).
 
Johansons Corner
This small community is slightly more than two miles north of Bremerton.  It was named for Mr. and Mrs. John Johanson who operated a bus line in the community. (Hitchman, p. 138). (Kitsap Co).

 
 
Keyport
O.A. Kuppler, H.B. Kuppler and Peter Hagen planned the first wharf on Liberty Bay.  When the wharf was completed in 1896 they took an atlas and in searching for a name chose that of Keyport, New Jersey. (Meany, p. 130).  A post office was established on May 25, 1903. See also: U.S. Pacific Coast Torpedo Station. (Kitsap Co).
 
Kingspit
Kingspit was an early name for Bangor. It was given for George B. King who had a homestead there in 1875 but had soon thereafter moved elsewhere. (Kitsap, IV, 106). (Kitsap Co).
 
Kingston
Kingston is a community and ferry dock on Appletree Cove. It was named for William P. Kingston who began a logging operation there in 1888 (Hitchman, p. 145). The post office was established June 11,1890. (Kitsap Co).
 
Kitsap County
This county was created by the Washington Territorial Legislature on January 16, 1857. It was named Slaughter County to honor Lieutenant William A. Slaughter who had been killed during the Indian War of 1855-56. A group wished to have the name changed to Madison County for President James Madison but it was finally changed to that of Kitsap, an Indian chief. (Meany, p. 131).
 
The writers of the Kitsap County History have pointed out that the Chief Kitsap of the Indian War of 1855-56 was most unpopular with the white population and they would not have approved of honoring their war-time foe to replace the name of an honored Army officer with an unfortunate name.

It is suggested that there was a Chief Kitsap who met George Vancouver in 1792 an that the county could have been named for that Indian leader. (Kitsap Co).

The word "kitsap" means "...brave and good..." (Kitsap, I, 12). A post office named Kitsap existed for a number of years.
 
Kitsap Creek
Kitsap Creek flows from Kitsap Lake to join Chico Creek which then flows into Chico Bay west of Oyster Bay on Puget Sound. (Kitsap Co).
 
Kitsap Lake
Kitsap Lake is west of Oyster Bay in the middle of Section Twenty-six of Township 23 North Range 1 West WM.  Camp McKean is on the west and it is drained by Kitsap Creek. (Kitsap Co).
 
Kitsap Memorial State Park
This state park on Hood Canal is west of the Bremerton-Port Gamble Highway(Washington State Highway 3) consists of 57.6 acres with fifty-six campsites and seventy-two picnic sites. It has l,797 feet of shoreline. (Scott, p. 187). (Kitsap Co).

"The name reflects the wishes and efforts of the original members of the Vinland Community Club who sought to establish a North Kitsap Memorial Park.." (A4-55).

 
 
Lake View
This community is on the east shore of Long Lake and is named for its location on the lake. (Kitsap p. 5). (Kitsap Co).
 
Lemolo
Andrew Madison Young platted this community in 1907 and gave the name Lemolo to it.  The word is Indian in origin and means "...wild and untamed..." (Carson, p. 89). (Kitsap Co).
 
Liberty Bay
This extension of Port Orchard Bay was once known as Dog Fish Bay for the dog fish shark rendering operations there which produced an oil. In 1893 there was an attempt to officially change the name but it failed. The new name, however, was used extensively by local residents and it is now official. (Meany p. 146). (Kitsap Co).
 
Lider Lake
This small lake is on the west side of Navy Yard Highway beyond the Kitsap County Airport, north of the Mason County line.  William Lider was granted a patent to the land around the lake in 1891 and he named it for himself. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 11). (Kitsap Co).
 
Little Beef
With Big Beef, this creek flows into Hood Canal. There are two stories attached  to the naming of the creeks. One reports that a Seabeck butcher, probably Jacob Hauptly, kept cattle there and a second that the Peter Emel family grazed cattle there. (Kitsap, IV, 48). (Kitsap Co).
 
Little Beef Harbor
Little Beef Harbor is a half mile southwest of Big Beer Harbor in Hood Canal at the mount of Little Beef Creek. See: Little Beef. (Kitsap Co).
 
Little Boston
Little Boston began as a Clallam Indian village across Port Gamble Bay from the Port Gamble sawmill. The first ships  and most of the white people who set up the sawmill of the Pope and Talbot Company were from the region of Boston, Massachusetts. The Indians referred to all Americans as Bostons. (Howell, p. 17).  The Indians who lived in the village were  peaceful and many worked in the sawmill operation. Their village became known as Little Boston as they attempted to copy the white population.(Carson, p. 8). (Kitsap Co).
 
Little Norway
This name for Poulsbo was given to that community for "...up until the 1920s Norwegian was the mother tongue of most of its five hundred people." (Kitsap, II, 3). (Kitsap Co).
 
Lofall
Lofall is a community on Hood Canal north of Bangor. It was given the name Lofall after Helge and Sophia Lofall and their nine children arrived on May 17, 1908. They started a post office on August 6, 1912, and named it after themselves.  It was the Kitsap County end of the ferry route to the Olympic Peninsula until 1961. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 5). (Kitsap Co).
 
Lone Rock
In Hood Canal this monolith is located east of the community of Warrenville. It is the only large rock on the shore, hense the name. (Kitsap Co).
 
Long Lake
Located in the south end of Kitsap County, this lake is named for its narrow shape. It is the largest lake in the county. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 11). (Kitsap Co).
 
Ludvick Lake
This two acre lake is two miles south of Holly and two miles southeast of Port Orchard.  It was named "...for an early settler..."  (Hitchman, p. 171). (Kitsap Co).

 
 
Madison County
Timothy D. Hinckley and S. B. Wilson introduced a bill into the Washington territorial legislature naming a new county for James Madison, President of the United States.  On January 16,1857, the Legislature organized Slaughter County which later became Kitsap County. (Kitsap, I, 11). (Kitsap Co).
 
Madrona Point
Madrona Point is at the southeast end of Ostrich Bay. It is on the peninsula that separates the bay from the entrance to Oyster Bay. See: Manzanita. (Kitsap Co).
 
Madrone
Madrone is the former name for Winslow. When the post office was established on August 11, 1890, it was named Madrone at the suggestion of post mistress Cynthia Williams for the native Madrona trees.  It was changed to Winslow on January 27, 1903. (Hitchman, p. 335). (Kitsap Co).
 
Manchester
Manchester was originally called Brooklyn for the hoped for establishment of a large naval yard like that at Brooklyn, New York. The name was changed for Manchester, England, in 1892 "...hoping for the same prosperity..." (Kitsap, VI, 91). A post office was established there on January 4, 1893. (Kitsap Co).
 
Manchester State Park
This park consists of slightly more than one hundred eleven acres with fifty camp sites and forty picnic sites six miles east of Port Orchard on Clam Bay.  It has 3,400 feet of beach attached to the park. (Scott, p 195). (Kitsap Co).
 
Manette
After the first settlers of Manette built a wharf to attract Puget Sound shipping the first steamer to use it was named Manette  and the people agreed to adopt the name of the vessel as the name of their community.  (Meany, p. 157).  The community received a post office on October 17, 1902, and was annexed to Bremerton in 1918. The writers of Kitsap County History recorded that the local residents wished to name the place Decatur in honor of Stephen Decatur of War of 1812 fame, but were told that another community of that name already existed in the state. (Kitsap, III, 17). (Kitsap Co).
 
Manitou Beach
Manitou Beach on Bainbridge Island is south of Rolling Bay. John and Josephine Grandy moved there in 1884.  The name is Indian and said to mean "...anything that was strange or sacred..." was manitou. Hitchman recorded that W.E. Parker gave the name to the beach when he platted it in 1907. (Hitchman, p. 175). (Kitsap Co).
 
Manitou Park
This landing on Bainbridge Island was near Skiff Point. The dock was built in 1907 by W.E.Parker who named it for a health resort in Colorado. (Marriott, p. 73). (Kitsap Co).
 
Manzanita
This post office was established February 23, 1900, and was named by Mrs. Margaret A. Wheeler because it was thought that the local Madrona trees were actually manzanita trees. The spelling was orignally Mazaneta but became Manzanita on July 28, 1903. The name of the post office was changed to South Colby on August 27,1913.(Kitsap, Appendix, p. 5). (Kitsap Co).

The geographical distribution of the madrona is from southwestern British Columbia through western Washington and Oregon into California.  A Spanish priest, Father Juan Crespi, described it in 1769 as Madrono for a perceived relationship to the Spanish Strawberry tree, Madrono. Others have called it Magnolia for a supposed relationship to that tree. It was described by Archibald Menzies of the 1792 Vancouver expedition as an ornamental strawberry which was a "...peculiar ornament to the forest..." (Menzies Journal, p. 20).
 
Manzanita Bay
This bay is on the northwest side of Bainbridge Island on Port Orchard Bay. See: Manzanita. (Kitsap Co).
 
Maple Beach
Located on the west side of the Seabeck Peninsula on Hood Canal the beach area is developed into home sites. Western maple joins with western red alder, douglas fir, western red cedar and western hemlock to create the mixed forest of the region. (Kitsap Co).
 
Maple Forest
Maple Forest is a community north of Enetai on the west side of Port Orchard Bay. (Kitsap Co).
 
Maple Grove
This location on Maple Beach was used for an Independence Day celebration in 1861 and was named for the grove of maple trees there. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 5). (Kitsap Co).
 
Mays Inlet
Middleton records that this inlet which is now called Liberty Bay was named by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 for Passed Midshipman William May. (Middleton, p. 123).  May became a commander in the United States Navy on June 6, 1861, and died October 10, 1861. (Callahan, p. 358). (Kitsap Co).
 
McCormick Creek
This creek rises in Long Pond at the McCormick Woods development, owned by the McCormick Lumber Company. The creek flows northwest into Sinclair Inlet. (Kitsap Co).
 
McMicken Creek
On April 3, 1895 Maurice McMicken, Abraham Engle, and Alexander Stewart with Herbert McMicken purchased a large tract of land part of which was once occupied by the Port Orchard sawmill owned by the Port Blakely Mill Company. The creek was named for the McMickens who developed estates nearby. The creek is better known as Enetai Creek. (Jensen, p.108). (Kitsap Co).
 
Minter Creek
George Minter was a government surveyor who worked for many years in south Kitsap and north Pierce Counties. The Minter family settled in Pierce County on Minter Bay at the mouth of Minter Creek and for some time Mrs. Lucinda Minter operated the Minter post office in Pierce County. (Kitsap Co)
 
Minter Valley
This valley is in the extreme southern end of the county and continues into Pierce County.  Two creeks, Huge Creek and Minter Creek flow through the valley. (Kitsap Co).
 
Minterbrook
Located in the Minter Valley this post office operated from April 18, 1922,  to November 15, 1928 (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 14). (Kitsap Co).
 
Misery Point
Hitchman records that an entrance to Seabeck on Hood Canal was named Misery Point because it "...reflects poineer hardships.." (Hitchman, p. 190). (Kitsap Co).
 
Mission Lake
Mission Lake is a small lake west of Gorst.  At one time a two story log building was constructed on the shores of the lake serving as a teaching and service point for missionaries to local Indians. (Kitsap, V, 19). (Kitsap Co).
 
Mitchell Point
James and Elizabeth Mitchell built a store on this point after the Port Orchard sawmill burned. Mitchell field a patent for the land in 1875 and by 1883 was post master under the post office was discontinued on March 16,1891. The region is now known as Annapolis.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Mosquito Bay
Manzanita Bay was once called Mosquito Bay. See: Manzantia Bay. (Buchanan, p. 303-04).  (Kitsap Co).
 
Mud Bay
This long and narrow bay is totally empty of water during periods of low tide exposing extensive mud flats. It is parallel to Ostrich Bay and is the south eastern arm of Dye Inlet. (Kitsap Co).
 
Murdens Cove
The cove on the eastern shore of Bainbridge Island was named in 1856 probably for an early settler who Hitchman calls "....a beach dweller..." (Hitchman, p. 202). It is now known as Rolling Bay. (Kitsap Co).



|Kitsap County Main Page|ALHN - Washington Main Page|