Place Names of Kitsap County, Washington
Compiled by Gary Fuller Reese
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z



Navy Torpedo Station-Keyport
The post office at Keyport had this name between 1931 and 1947. It had previously been called United States Pacific Coast Torpedo Station, Keyport Branch from 1923 to 1931.  (Kitsap Co).

The 1986 Metsker County atlas gives the name Naval Undersea Warfare Engineering Station to the location.
 
 Navy Yard City
After the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard was established at Bremerton there wre many communities established in the area to take advantage of the expected boom.  This place was platted in 1909 and had is own school in 1913.  It still exists as a part of the City of Bremerton. (Kitsap, IV, 63). (Kitsap Co).
 
Nellita
This community is in the southwestern part of the county. It was named on July 12, 1900, by Ralph Brueger for his wife, Nelli. It was first called Browns Cove after Arthur Brown who was the first to cut the timber along the cove. (Meany, p. 185).  The post office closed on September 15, 1924. (Kitsap, IV, 63). (Kitsap Co).
 
Nels Johnson Lake
Two small lakes west of Wildwood have this name attached.  They are owned by the Presbetery of Olympia. (Kitsap Co).
 
New Sweden
The history of Kitsap County locates New Sweden on the south side of Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. Many Scandinavians settled in many places in Kitsap County. (Kitsap Co).
 
Nibbeville
The region around Point White became known as Nibbeville for the first post master, Jonathan W. NIbbe, who established the post office there on February 25, 1885. The post office was closed on January 23, 1891. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6). Elsie Marriott in her book on Bainbridge Island noted that Jack Nibby was married to an Indian wife. (Marriott, p. 101). (Kitsap Co).
 
Nipsic
Nipsic was the suggested name for Manette when it was first settled. The U.S.S. Nipsic was the floating headquarters for Ambrose Wyckoff in 1892 and 1893 as he developed the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. (Kitsap III, 28). (Kitsap Co).

The U.S.S. Nipsic was built  at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and was commissioned on September 2,1863. The Nipsic saw duty in the Civil War and served at many locations around the world including Samoa in 1889. Her last commission was at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. The name comes from a lake in Ontario, Canada. (American Naval Fighting Ships, V,96).
 
North Lake
North Lake is the most norterly of eight lakes in a region developed by the McCormick Land Company.  The golf course built there is partly on this lake. (Kitsap Co).
 
North Seabold
This landing north of Seabold on Bainbridge Island was developed by the Union Navigation Company during World War One.  It was the site of a dock used in the cross-Sound transporation business but by 1922 the community had been absorbed into Seabold. (Beach). (Kitsap Co).
 
Norwegian Point
This location at Hansville on Admiralty Inlet was named for the large number of Norwegian settlers who lived there. Hitchman records that it was named in 1855 by the U.S. Coast Survey but that would be too early for few people lived in the region at that time. (Hitchman, p. 101). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Olalla
Ollalla is located on Colvos or West Passage in Puget Sound. The first white settler was L.P. Larson who arrived in 1881. There was a post office beginning on October 30, 1884.  The word is a Chinook Jargon term for "berries." Shaw wrote that the word originally meant salmon berries exclusively. (Shaw, p. 18). (Kitsap Co).
 
Old Man House
A state park between Suquamish and Agate Pass Bridge is named for Old Man House. The old men or elders of the tribe would sun themselves in the doorways of the huge cedar log building constructed there. "It was nine hundred feet long, sixty fee wide, about fifteen feet high in front and ten in the rear...It was supported by seventy-four split timbers..." (Marriott, p. 20.). (Kitsap Co).

It housed about forty Indian families before it was razed in the 1890s.  The park is one acre in size and has two hundred ten feet of shoreline. The grave of Chief Seattle is nearby on a hill.
 
Olympic View
Olympic View is one mile south of Bangor.  The town was platted in 1910 and was called Hood Canal City.  The name was later changed to Belgrade because of a number of family of Serbian ancestry who lived in the region.  The view of the Olympic Mountains across Hood Canal is spectacular. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6). (Kitsap Co).
 
Orchard Heights
Orchard Heights was a World War II housing area in the southern part of the city of Port Orchard.  It existed between October of 1944 until June of l948 when most of the buildings were dismantled. (Boardman, p. 51). (Kitsap Co).
 
Orchard Point
This point in Puget Sound is north of Manchester and has a light to assist waterborne traffic in Rich Passage. It is opposite Bainbridge Reef at the south end of Bainbridge Island. See: Port Orchard. (Kitsap Co).
 
Ostrich Bay
The south arm of Dye Inlet was named Ostrich by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 because the original outline of the bay seemed to resemble an ostrich. (Middleton, p. 155). (Kitsap Co).
 
Oyster Bay
Oyster Bay in Kitsap County is an extension of Ostrich Bay on Dye Inlet.  It was named for the large number of oysters harvested there in the 1880s and 1890s. (Hitchman, p. 155). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Pauls Landing
A logger named Paul Wahl was one of the first men to use Dog Fish Bay for his logging operations.  The log dump was called Pauls Landing. Mr. Wahl later built a skid road to Poulsbo, (Poulsbo,p.48). (Kitsap Co).
 
Pearson
Pearson is a community on the west side of Liberty Bay.  It was first settled by Ole Stubb who was followed by E.O. Ekstedt and then Per John Pearson who came in 1884.  When the post office was established on August 6, 1889, it was named for Per John Pearson who became the first post paster and owned the townsite. (Poulsbo, p.35). (Kitsap Co).
 
Pearson Point
This point of land juts out into the lower portion of Liberty Bay. It was named for Per John Pearson who arrived in the neighborhood in 1884 which was eleven years after Ole Stubb settled the place in 1873. (Kitsap Co).
 
Peterson Point
Located on a point of land in Port Orchard Bay just south of Illahee, Peterson Point was named for the M.A.W. Peterson family who bought land there in March of 1888 (Kitsap, Appendix, p.6). (Kitsap Co).
 
Phinney Bay
This small indentation in Port Washington Narrows was named for James Phinney who lived on the bay. It is the home of the Bremerton Yacht Club. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6). (Kitsap Co).
 
Pilots Cove
Charles Wilkes wrote"...here we anchored before sunset and I named it Pilot's Cove, from the circumstance of having been here joined by the first officer of the Hudson Bay Cmpany's steamer commanded by Captain M'Neil who on hearing of our arrival kindly sent him down to pilot the ship. (Wilkes, IV, 303). (Kitsap Co).

The cove is between Point No Point and Elgon in the northeast portion of the county on Puget sound.
 
Pleasant Beach
This community is on the south end of Bainbridge Island. It was first called Sylvan Grove and reflects the use of Bainbridge Island as a vacation and retirement center. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6).  It was first settled by Asa Fowler who had a land claim which was dated January 30, 1864. (Marriott, p. 99). (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Bolin
On the northern end of Port Orchard Bay south of Keyport at the entrnace to Agate Passage, this point was named for Jacob Bolin, a captain of the forecastle in one of the crews of the Wilkes 1841 expedition. (Meany, p. 215-16). (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Glover
Point Glover is opposite the southern end of Bainbridge Island at the entrance to Port Orchard Bay.  It was named for John Glover a captain of the top in one of the ships on the Wilkes Expedition. (Middleton, p. 88). (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Gordon
Wilkes gave this name to Restoration Point on Bainbridge Island to honor John Gordon who was a quartermaster in one of the ships on the Expedition.  It is sometimes written Gorden or Garden Point.
(Kitsap Co).
 
Point Herron
This point on Port Orchard Bay east of Bremerton was named in 1841 by Wilkes for Lewis Herron or Heron who was a cooper or barrel maker on one of his ships. Heron Island in Pierce County may have also been named for Lewis Herron. (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Jefferson
Point Jefferson is the northern entrance to Port Madison. It was named to honor Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States. Wilkes named nearby points of land for Presidents James Madison and James Monroe as well. (Meany, p. 220). (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Monroe
This location is on Bainbridge Island a mile east of the town of Port Madison. It was named by Wilkes to honor President James Monroe. (Hitchman, p. 234). (Kitsap Co).
 
Point No Point
Wilkes "...seemed to have been disappointed as he drew near the point hoping perhaps for an anchorage..." (Meany, p. 221). The place was later used by Governor Isaac I. Stevens as a treaty making ground when he negotiated with the Clallam, Skokomish and Chimacum tribes on January 26, 1855.(Howell, p. 25). (Kitsap Co).

A post office was established on April 26,1890, and became known as Hansville on March 27,1914. Hitchman wrote "..this point appeared and disappeared when viewed from the decks of passing ships. (Hitchman, p. 234).

There is a county park at Point No Point consisting of thirty-six acres and 1895 feet of shoreline. (Scott, p. 185). The Indian name of the place was "hahd-skus" meaning "long nose."
 
Point Southworth
Point Southworth is on the Kitsap Peninsula opposite the northern end of Vashon Island. Edward Southworth was a quartermaster in the Wilkes Expedition and the point was named for him. The community that grew up around the point is known as Southworth. (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Totten
The cape at the entrance to Port Gamble harbor was named by the Wilkes Expedition for Passed Midshipman George M. Totten, an expedition member.  Totten was a Lieutenant in the Navy beging promoted to that position on September 8, 1841. He died July 18, 1857. (Callahan, p. 548).  The point is where the town of Port Gamble was built. (Kitsap Co).
 
Point Turner
This point in downtown Bremerton is at the southwest entrance to Port Washington Narrows upon which the city of Bremerton was built. It was named for Henry Turner, a captain of the forecastle on one of the Wilkes crews. (Meany, p. 223). (Kitsap Co).
 
Point White
Point White is at the southern end of Bainbridge Island. It was named for James White, a captain of the forecastle in one of the Wilkes crews.  For a time in the 1880s the nearby settlement was called Nibbyville for Jonathan Nibby or Nibbe who lived there. (Marriott, p. 100-01.). (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Blakely
Captain William Renton filed a claim for land on the site of the Port Blakely sawmill on July 13, 1863 and built his mill there in 1864.  It was once the largest sawmill on the northwest coast. William Johnstone Blakely was the captain of the Sloop Wasp  which, after service in the War of 1812 was lost at sea in 1815. (Callahan, p. 61). (Kitsap Co).

A post office was opened first on December 31, 1890.
 
Port Gamble
Wilkes named Port Gamble for Lieutenant Robert Gamble who was wounded on the U.S.S. President in a battle with the British ship Belvidere on June 23, 1813 during the War of 1812. (Meany p.226). The first name for Port Gamble was Teekalet which means "..brightness of the noonday sun." (Howell, p. 27). (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Gamble Bay
Port Gamble Bay is a southeast "finger" of water at the northern end of Hood Canal at Port Gamble.  The sawmill of the Pope and Talbot Company faces the bay and is opposite the Indian community of Little Boston. There are extensive tideflats on the bay. (Kitsap Co).

Port Gamble Bay was the site of a battle between Northern Indians and the U.S.S. Massachusetts which had been sent to force the Indians to return to British territory. The Indians were defeated, their canoes destroyed and they were taken to Canada and turned over to British authorities.
 
Port Gamble Indian Reservation
Port Gamble Indian Reservation is east of Port Gamble Bay and includes a small acerage. The central community of the reservation is Little Boston. (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Madison
The bay at Port Madison was surveyed and named on May 10,1841, by the Wilkes Expedition to honor James Madison, president of the United States.  George A. Meigs built a sawmill there which operated from 1854 to 1892.  Port Madison had the first brass and iron foundary and the first fish oil refinery north of San Francisco. It was the county seat of Kitsap County until 1893.  Its post office was established on May 13,1858 with Charles E. Brownell as post master.   Marriott notes(p.58) that the Indian name for the place was Tchoak-um-cguck. (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Orchard
There have been a number of communities and settlements in present Kitsap County which have had the name, Port Orchard. They are:

1. An early sawmill town at the present site of Enetai.
2. The town of Port Orchard which was consolidated with Charleston on August 19, 1893, had its
    named changed to Charleston on January 12, 1903, and was consolidated with Bremerton on
    December 12,1927.
3. A town which was platted in 1890 two miles west of Bremerton.
4. The present county seat which began as the town of Sidney. The name of Sidney was dropped on
    February 26,1903, in favor of Port Orchard.
(Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6). (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Orchard Bay
This arm of Puget Sound is west of Bainbridge Island and runs from Agate Passage on the north to Rich Passage on the south with Sinclair Inlet running to the town of Gorst past Bremerton. It was named on May 24, 1792, by George Vancouver of the Royal Navy for Harry M. Orchard, clerk of the ship Discovery who actually discovered it. (Meany, p. 228). (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Washington
In 1890 the Fleming, Rumsey Company of Seattle built a"...large two story hotel and dock just north of the Chico townsite..." It was to be a resort but failed even before the dock and hotel burned on August 22, 1903.  (Kitsap, IV, 17). (Kitsap Co).
 
Port Washington Narrows
This narrow water passage extends southeast from Dye Inlet to Port Orchad Bay between Bremerton and East Bremerton. The name was adopted from the former name of Dye Inlet which was Port Washington. (Kitsap Co).
 
Pottery Creek
This creek is at the western edge of Port Orchard. There was a terra cotta works there in the 180s.  It burned in 1895. The hill upon which the plant stood was called Pottery Hill. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 37). (Kitsap Co).
 
Poulsbo
This city was first settled by Norwegians, the family of Jargen Eliason being the first in September of 1883. Mr. Iver B. Moe was the second settler and he suggested that the place be named Poulsbo for a small place near his home in Norway. The post office was established on December 6, 1886 (Poulsbo, p. 52). (Kitsap Co).
 
Powsley Creek
Near Annapolis was a creek named for the Powsley family "...Indians said to have been at one time slaves of a powerful and wealthy Indian Hudson's Bay trader..." (Kitsap, V, 72). It was a popular landing place in the 1880s. (Kitsap Co).
 
President Point
On the western shore of Puget Sound two miles southeast of Kingston this place was named by the U.S. Coast Survey in 1856 because the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 named three nearby locations for presidents of the United States; Jefferson, Madison and Monroe. (Hitchman, p. 240). (Kitsap Co).
 
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
This major United States Naval installation was founded by Ambrose Wyckoff on September 16,1891 on a two hundred eight five acre parcel of land west of down-town Bremerton. It is sometimes called the Bremerton Navy Yard. The United States Post Office department has from time to time established a post office at the shipyard. (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Races Cove
This cove was named for Henry Race who came from Australia and settled on the cove in 1856.  The cove is at the east entrance to Hood Canal. (Hitchman, p. 246). (Kitsap Co).
 
Randsville
Immediately adjacent to the south end of the townsite of Chico was Randsville. It was named for Charles and Isabel Rand who came there from England by way of South Dakota and Seattle in 1902. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6.). (Kitsap Co).

Reedville
This community was in the southwestern part of the county. A post office was established in March of 1894 and discontinued on September 30, 1905.  The Reed family were early settlers. The community is now called Glenwood. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 6). (Kitsap Co).
 
Restoration Point
Captain George Vancouver of the Royal Navy stopped at this point on the southeast part of Bainbridge Island on May 25, 1792, the anniversary of the restoration of Charles II to the throne of England in 1660.  The United States Exploring Expedition of 1841 called it Point Gordon and it has been locally known as Bean's Point. (Meany p. 243). (Kitsap Co).
 
Retsil
This community on Sinclair Inlet near the city of Port Orchard was given the name of Governor Ernest Lister spelled backwards. The Washington Veteran's Home is located at Retsil. The post office was established July 24,1915 (Meany, p. 243). (Kitsap Co).
 
Rhododendron Park
This community is east of the main gate of the Bangor Naval Submarine Base. Native rhododendrons, the state flower of Washington, grow profusely in the region. (Kitsap Co).
 
Rich Passage
Rich Passage is the entrance to Port Orchard Bay from Puget Sound off the southern end of Bainbridge Island. The ferry boats from Seattle to Bremerton use the passage. It was named for William Rich, a botanist on the Wilkes Expedition of 1841. (Meany p. 243). (Kitsap Co).
 
Rock Creek
Rock Creek rises southwest of Wye Lake in Section Two of Township 22 North Range l West WM and flows southwest into Fern Lake. Rocky Creek is two miles east and both eventually flow into Rocky Bay and Case Inlet. (Kitsap Co).
 
Rolling Bay
Rolling Bay is on the east shore of Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound. It was first named Rowles Bay after an early settler. When the post office was established on April 6, 1892, the name was changed to Rolling Bay. (Meany, p. 248).  The settlement on the bay was once called Murdens Cove. (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Sackman
Tracyton was once known as Sackman. Daniel J. Sackman settled one fourth mile north of the present town in 1853.  The first post master was Dora Abrahamson who opened the post office on August 20, 1884. The name was changed to Tracyton on February 6, 1890.(Kitsap, IV, p. 8).  The Sackman family consisting of Mr. Daniel J. Sackman and his sons; Joseph, Isaac, Steven, and David were loggers.
(Kitsap Co).
 
Sackmans Point
This early name for Erland Point is assigned by Marjorie Blichfeldt who "...points out that what was orignally Erland's Point was a sandspit on the south side  of the point and the rest of the area was called Sackman's Point." (Kitsap, IV, 30). (Kitsap Co).
 
Salmonberry Creek
This creek rises in the southwest part of the city of Port Orchard and flows south into Long Lake. Salmon Berries were an important part of the diet on the Indians of the region.  One source indicates that the general name, Ollala, originally meant salmon berries exclusively. (Kitsap Co).
 
Salsbury Point
This point of land is one mile west of Port Gamble on Hood Canal.  It was named for Francis Salsbury, a member of one of the crews on the 1841 Wilkes Expedition. The Hood Canal floating bridge is near this point. A county park consisting of 5.6 acres and 520 feet of shoreline has a boat launch and ten picnic sites carries the Salsbury Point name. (Scott, p. 185). (Kitsap Co).
 
Sandy Hook
Sandy Hook is a hook-like sandspit near the southern end of Agate Passage just south of the Port Madison Indian Reservation. (Kitsap Co).
 
Scandia
Scandia is a small settlement on the south shore of Liberty Bay across from Poulsbo. It had a post office from August 26, 1915, to September 29,1917. It was named for the large number of people who lived in the area who originally came from Scandinavia. It was known as Frykholm until 1914. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 8). (Kitsap Co).
 
Scenic Beach State Park
Located south of Seabeck on Hood Canal this park has an excellent view of the Olympic Range of Mountains. The park consists of 71.2 acres of land, fifty camp sites, seventy-eight picnic sites and has one thousand six hundred feet of beach. (Kitsap Co).
 
Seabeck
The Wilkes Expedition of 1841 evidently attempted to spell an Indian name when it charted this part of Hood Canal and it came out "Scabock Harbor."  Later charts changed the name to Seabeck. (Meany, p. 260-61).  The post office was established on July 1, 1858, and there were sawmills in the region for many years. (Kitsap Co).

The writers of the Kitsap County history have noted that it was probably not named for locations in Switzerland or Maine.(Kitsap, IV, 43) while Phillip wrote that the place was named for Seabeck, Maine, the home of Marshall Blinn who established a sawmill at Seabeck, Washington, in 1857. (Phillips, p. 127).
 
Seabold
Seabold is at the southern end of Agate Passage on Bainbridge Island. It was homesteaded by John Johnson and his sons-in-law William Bull and John Silven. The post office was opened on March 15, 1892, and the name of the place was chosen by William Bull "...who remembered the bold sea beating on the beach when he first arrived."  (Kitsap, VI, 100).  (Kitsap Co).
 
Shell Point
Shell Point was an early name for Elwood. An Indian village occupied the site and since clams and oysters were staples in the Indian diet there wre large piles of shells about. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 8). (Kitsap Co).
 
Shellbanks
Shellbanks is a place at the head of Ostrich Bay. An Indian village or camp ground occupied the beach and there were heaps of shells on the beach.  The name was suggested by Mrs. Georgia Bowman. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 8). (Kitsap Co).
 
Sheridan
This area between East Bremerton and Tracyton was named for Lieutenant Philip Sheridan (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 8).Lieutenant Sheridan, who later became a general in the Civil War and a noted Indian fighter, visited the area on at least one occasion when he traveled with Lieutenant August V. Kautz in 1857 to inspect Army posts on Puget Sound. (Kitsap Co).

The 1986 Metsker County Atlas shows two locations with the name Sheridan, one Sheridan Park, a housing area immediately north of Port Washington Narrows and Sheridan Junction, a corner on Tracyton Boulevard.
 
Sidney
The town of Sidney was named by Frederick Stevens when the plat was filed for his father, Sidney Stevens, who purchased land from Robert Campbell in 1886. A post office was established on November 3, 1886, and the name of the town was changed to Port Orchard in 1903 and is now the county seat. (Kitsap, V, 20). (Kitsap Co).
 
Silver Creek
Charles R. and Jessie Silver homesteaded on one hundred sixty acres on the eastern shoreline of the county in the fall of 1891. A creek named Silver Creek flowed through the property. (Kitsap Co).

When a post office was established the post mistress, Marie Halvorsen, suggested that the name be Silver Creek, but the post office deparmtnet rejected her request and the name Eglon was given to the place. (Kitsap, II, 88).
 
Silverdale
The city on the north end of Dyes Inlet was platted in the 1880s. When looking for a name for the town it was decided that Goldendale would be appropriate. Since there was already a Goldendale in the state the name was changed to Silverdale on the advise of Christian Henry Bradendlein, who arrived there in September of 1888. A post office was established on February 15, 1890. (Kitsap, Appendix, p.8). (Kitsap Co).
 
Silverdale County Park
Silverdale County Park is on the northwest shore of Dyes Inlet and consists of four acres and six hundred feet of shoreline. (Scott p. 191). See: Silverdale. (Kitsap Co).
 
Silverstrand
Ole Hanson who was once mayor of the city of Seattle developed the area around Old Man House into a community.  Since the name Old Man House seemed inappropriate for a planned community, Mr. Hanson chose the name Silverstrand for the beautiful nearby beaches. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 8). (Kitsap Co).
 
Sinclair Inlet
The southwestern arm of Port Orchard Bay was named by the Wilkes Expedition to honor George T. Sinclair, one of the acting masters on one of the crews in the Expedition. (Meany, p. 272). Sinclair was dismissed from the United States Navy as a Lieutenant on April 16, 1861. (Callahan, p. 499). (Kitsap Co).
 
Skiff Point
On the north cape of Rolling Bay, this point was named for the shape of the land. A signal was built on the point as early as 1856. (Kitsap, Appendix, p.  8).  Meany reports that the name could have been from the many small boats or skiffs that were found stranded on the shallow bar. (Meany, p. 275). (Kitsap Co).
 
Smith Cove
Smith Cove is on Port Washington Narrows in northern Bremerton. It was named for Warren Smith who lived there.  In 1896 L.A. Bender moved his sawmill from Manette(then known as Decatur) to Smith Cove beginning its use as an industrial site. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 8). (Kitsap Co).
 
South Beach
South Beach is on the southern end of Bainbridge Island. Coe G. Bradner and his wife, Lucy, arrived in the late 1890s and settled on a plot of ground, part of which became Fort Ward. There was a dock and a group of summer homes on the beach for a number of years. (Kitsap, VI, 94). (Kitsap Co).
 
South Colby
A post office was established at South Colby on August 27, 1913. See: Colby. (Kitsap Co).
 
Southside
Southside is a former name for Eagledale on Bainbridge Island. It was named Southside because it was on the south side of Eagle Harbor. (Kitsap Co).
 
Southworth
George and Betsey Schultz homesteaded near Point Southworth in 1888. Th community that grew up around the point was known as Southworth. A post office was established September 6, 1913. Edward Southworth was a member of the 1841 Wilkes Expedition. (Kitsap Co).
 
Squiab Bay
Squaib is a Suquamish Indian word for "... a succulent rooted fern that grew there..."  (Carson, p. 30).  The bay is west of Suquamish and a creek system north of the Bay carries the name.  "...A man by the name of Miller logged much of the area around the water." (Carson p. 30). (Kitsap Co).
 
Square Creek
Square Creek rises in Square Lake and flows  northeast eventually joining Blackjack Creek to flow into Sinclair Inlet. See: Square Lake. (Kitsap Co).
 
Square Lake
Square Lake is in the southern part of the county three and one half miles southwest of Port Orchard. Harry Radey said it was named by a hunter who thought that it looked square. Square Creek flows into the lake from the northeast and out again. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 12). (Kitsap Co).
 
Steves Point
This name for Erland Point was for Steve Wilson, a prominent local Indian. One of the major events of his life was the work that he performed in getting a Roman Catholic Church built near the point. (Kitsap, IV, 29). See: Erlands Point. (Kitsap Co).
 
Striebels Corner
Striebels Corner is three and one half miles south of Port Gamble on the road to Kingston. The Kingston-Poulsbo road joins the Port Gamble-Kingston road at this point. In 1955 Leopold Striebel owned land there.  (Kitsap Co).
 
Suquamish
Suquamish is the name of a town, an Indian tribe, and an Indian reservation.  (Howell, p. 38). The writers of Kitsap County History claim that Suquamish was the name of an Indian chief. At one time the town was named Bartow to honor A. A. Bartow, an Indian agent. The post office was established as Bartow on December 3, 1900, and was changed to Suquamish on February 11, 1908. (Kitsap Co).
 
Sylvan Grove
Sylvan Grove was one of the many beach side communities promoted by real estate agentss, mostly from Seattle. This development is now known as Pleasant Beach and was first settled by Asa Fowler in 1864 (Marriott, p. 99). (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Tahuya Lake
This 17.9 acre lake is nine miles west of Charleston.  The word is Twana in origin  ""Ta "ho-i"  meaning "...that done..." in reference to something that took place on the site in the "...early days."  (Hitchman, p. 297). (Kitsap Co).
 
Tatugh
The eastern point of Blake Island was named Tatugh because it was "...low and pebbly."   (Howell, p. 40). (Kitsap Co).
 
Teekalet Bluff
Teekalet is the Indian name for the bluff west of Port Gamble on Hood Canal.  The name means "...brightness of the noon-day sun..."
The place became a post office under the name "Teekalet, " on December 2, 1857, and the community retained the name until January 17,1872,  when the post office name was changed to Port Gamble. (Meany, p. 226). (Kitsap Co).
 
Tekiu Point
This point on Hood Canal is near Seabeck in Section Eight of T 24 N 2 W WM.   The name "Tekiu" is Indian in origin and means elk. It was first logged by the Washington Mill Company at Seabeck. (Kitsap, IV, 64). (Kitsap Co).
 
Three Spits
Three Spits was an early name for Bangor.  Three sandspits jut out into Hood Canal at that point. (Kitsap Co).
 
Tiger Lake
Tiger Lake is one hundred nine acres in size and is nine and a half miles southwest of Bremerton on the Kitsap-Mason County line. The place was named tiger to match Panther Lake, directly to the west. (Hitchman, p. 304). (Kitsap Co).
 
Tin Mine Creek
Tin Mine Creek flows into Lake Tahuyeh from Section 9 of Township 24 North, Range l West W M. For much of its course the creek flows through land owned by the State Forest Board or the City of Bremerton. See: Tin Mine Lake. (Kitsap Co).
 
Tin Mine Lake
Located in the eastern portion of Section 9 of Township 24 North Range 1 West W M on the Holly to Bremerton road this lake was named for a tine mine that was begun in the vicinity in 1891. There were at least two shafts dug. In 1905 it was reported that Frank Simmons of Seattle worked a tin mine there as well. (Kitsap, IV, 21). (Kitsap Co).
 
Tolo
On the west side of Banbridge Island north of Fletcher Bay is a small community which was named for the steam ship that ran from Seattle to the island. (Kitsap, VI, 105).  The work is Chinook Jargon and means "to earn" or "to gain." (Marriott, p. 105). (Kitsap Co).
 
Tracyton
Tracyton is on Dyes Inlet in Puget Sound. It was named for Benjamin F. Tracy, Secretary of the Navy during the administration of Benjamin Harrison from 1889 to 1893 (Meany, p. 305-16). The place started as the Sackman post office in 1884 with Mr. Dora Abrahamson as the post master. (Kitsap Co).

Trimble Island
William Pitt and Cassandra Trimble purchased Blake Island for an estate and for a period of time Blake Island was called Trimble Island for them.  A bird and wildlife sanctuary was established by Mrs. Trimble on the island. Cassandra Trimble was drowned in an accident off an Elliott Bay pier on December 7, 1929, and Mr. Trimble never returned to the island. (Kitsap, V, 115). A post office was established on the island on August 1, 1918 and closed December 30, 1933. (Kitsap, VI, 115). (Kitsap Co).
 
Tyee Shoal
In Puget Sound south of Creosote on Bainbridge Island this shoal is named for the Chinook Jargon word for anything "superior" or "better" or "outstanding." (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
United States Naval Fuel Dept., Puget Sound, Washington
This name was given to the fuel depot located at Manchester on November 18, 1942. It became U.S. Naval Station, Middle and Orchard Points, Manchester, Washington on December 1, 1942, and operated with changing designations until July 1, 1946, when it became the Manchester Annex, United States Navy Supply Depot. (Hillstrom, II, 5). (Kitsap Co).
 
United States Naval Hospital Station, Puget Sound
This naval hospital operated between 1925 and 1946 under this designation. (Kitsap Co).
 
United States Naval Undersea Warfare Engineering Station
This naval station is popularly known as Keyport for its location at the northern end of Port Orchard. (Kitsap Co).
 
United States Pacific Coast Torpedo Station, Keyport Branch
A post office operated under this name from 1923 to 1931. (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Venice
Venice is a community on Bainbridge Island south of Arrow Point on Port Orchard Bay.  When the wharf was built in 1908 it was called Venice Landing after the city of Venice, California. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 9).  The wharf was seven hundred eight feet long and was the longest on Puget Sound at that time. (Kitsap Co).
 
View Park
View Park is the name given to the region on the west side of Colvos  Passage three miles south of Southworth. It is a waterfront community and has views of Colvos Passage and Vashon Island. It had a post office for a few years beginning October 5, 1922. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 9). (Kitsap Co).
 
Vinland
Vinland is a community at the northeast end of Bangor Naval Submarine Base. Its name reflects the concentration of Scandinavians in the region. Vinland is the name given to the region of North America discovered by the Viking seafarers long before other Europeans approached the eastern shores of North America. It had a post office 1892 to 1900 and 1902 to 1906. (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Walville
Walville was on the south side of Blakely Harbor in Puget Sound. The Walworth and Neville Company had a sawmill there to make telephone and telegraph pole cross arms. A lumber mill was later built on the site. (Marriott, p. 89). (Kitsap Co).
 
Waterman
Waterman is a community on the south shore of Sinclair Inlet. It was settled in 1890 and was named for Delos Waterman who purchased three hundred acres of land there in 1882.  It had a post office from 1904 to 1935 and was later platted by William Bremer, the founder of Bremerton. (Kitsap, VI, 87). (Kitsap Co).
 
West Blakely
West Blakely is one mile west of Port Blakely and was platted as a townsite in the 1890s by Andy P. Anderson. It was settled mostly by Scandinavians. (See: Port Blakely.).(Kitsap, VI, 91). (Kitsap Co).
 
West Bremerton
West Bremerton was a town across Sinclair Inlet from Bremerton. In 1890 it was platted by S.H. Barbee as Port Orchard for Port Orchard Bay.  The next year the Port Orchard Investment Company platted an adjoining tract of land as Charleston, for the U.S.S. Charleston, an armored cruiser at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

The first post office was named Charleston. In 1893 the two towns merged as Port Orchard. In 1903 the State Legislature changed the name of the combined town to Charleston.   It is now called West Bremerton. (Hitchman p. 327). (Kitsap Co.).
 
West Passage
Puget Sound is divided into two passages by Vashon Island. The West Passage which is the eastern boundary of the county is also called Colvos Passage. (Kitsap Co).
 
Westwood
Westwood is on the west shore of Bainbridge Island between Crystal Springs and Fletchers Bay. In 1908 a group of people under the name Westwood Shore Development group bought land and started a community. A dock was built but the project did not prosper. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 10 ). (Kitsap Co).
 
Wildcat Creek
Wildcat Creek flows west and northwest into property owned by the Mountaineers. (Kitsap Co).
 
Wildwood
Wildwood is a district north of Glenwood in the southern part of the county. John Doyle was the first settler in the area.  He arrived in the late 1880s when the region was still covered with a dense forest and was "wild."  (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 10). (Kitsap Co).
 
Winslow
Winslow is the center of ferry traffic to Bainbridge Island from Seattle. It was once called Madrone but was named for Winslow Hall by his brother, H.K. Hall of a local ship building family. There was a post office from 1903 to 1958 and again in 1958. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 10). (Kitsap Co).
 
Wyatt Bay
Robert Wyatt founded the town of Holly on Hood Canal.  This inlet in the canal was named for him. (Kitsap, Appendix, p. 10). (Kitsap Co).
 
Wye Lake
Wye Lake is in Sections 1 and 2 of Township 22 North Range 1 West W.M. one and one half miles north of the Pierce County line near Carney Lake. It is an upside down "Y" and is drained by Rock Creek which then flows into Fern Lake. (Kitsap Co).
 
 
 
Yukon Harbor
This harbor was mapped in 1841 by the Wilkes Expedition and given the name Barrons Bay for Commodore Samuel Barron of the United States Navy. (Callahan, p. 43). It has been named Yukon Harbor since the Gold Rush days in Alaska and Yukon Territory. (Meany, p. 356).  The United States Coastal Survey had a vessel named the Yukon  which was used by the Survey in the late 1870s. (Kitsap Co).
 
Kitsap County Names Bibliography
American Naval Fighting Ships.

Beach, Allen. Bainbridge Landings. Bainbridge Island: Driftood Press, 1960.

Buchanan, Iva Luella. Economic History of Kitsap County Washington to 1889....a thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosphy, University of Washington,  1930.

Callahan, Edward W. List of Officers of the Navy of the United States and of the Marine Corps from 1775 to 1900...Compiled from official records of the Navy Department. New York: L.R. Hamersly and Company, 190l.

Carson, Joan. Tall Timber and the Tide. Poulsbo: Kitsap Weeklies, 1971

Colvocoresses, Harold. "Captain George M. Colvocoresses, United States Navy," Washington Historical Quarterly, XXV(July, 1934), 163-170.

Fraser, Robert W. Forts of the West. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1972.

Hillstrom, Edith Jones. Manchester Memories, Volume 1, 1971, Volume 2, 1973.

Hitchman, Robert. Place Names of Washington. Tacoma: Washington State Historical Society, 1985.

Howell, Phillip Hugh. Dictionary of Indian Geographical Names. Seattle: American Indian Historical Society, 1949.

Kitsap County Historical Society. Kitsap County History. Silverdale: Kitsap County Historical Society, 1977.

Marriott, Elsei F. Bainbridge Through Bifocals. Seattle: Gateway Press, 1941.

Menzies, Archibald. Menzies Journal of Vancouver's Voyage, April to October, 1792....Victoria: Kings Printer, 1923.

Metsker Map Company. Metsker's Atlas of Kitsap County, Washington, 1986.

Meany, Edmond S. Origin of Washington Geographic Names. Seattle, 1923.

Middleton, Lynn. Place Names of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle, Superior, 1971.

Perry, Freidi. Port Madison, Washington Territory, 1854-1889. Bremerton: Perry Publishing 1989.

Phillips, James W. Washington State Place Names. Seattle: University of Washington, 1971.

Shaw, George. The Chinook Jargon. Seattle: Rainier Printing Company, 1909.

Sketches of Washingtonians. Seattle: W. C. Wolfe, 1906.

Tyler, David B. The Wilkes Expedition, 1838-1841. Philadelphia:The American Philosophical Society, 1968.

U.S. Board of Geographic Names. Decisions of the Board.

Wilkes, Charles. Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition during the years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842.



|Kitsap County Main Page|ALHN - Washington Main Page|