In 1841 Lieutenant Charles Wilkes of the United States Navy named a piece
of land overlooking part of western Puget Sound, Point Turner. Point Turner
was on Sinclair Inlet, a calm, sheltered arm of Puget Sound. In 1889, fifty-eight
years later, a commission sent by the United States Navy selected Point
Turner as the best site on the Sound for a Navy base.
Most of Point Turner was already owned by William Bremer, a German immigrant.
In 1891 Bremer sold 190 acres of land to Lieutenant Wyckoff of the United
States Navy for $50 an acre. Lieutenant Wyckoff became the first commandant
of the Puget Sound Naval Station on Point Turner. The base was to be used
as a repair station for Navy ships.
William Bremer still owned land outside the shipyard and began a town nearby.
The city of Bremerton was incorporated in 1901. Bremer encouraged settlers
to locate in Bremerton. Early Bremerton had a school, a volunteer fire
department, and electricity for shops and homes. Telephones and piped-in
water were brought to town in 1902.
The Bremerton area was originally covered by tall trees. Through the years
the trees were logged off for development of the town and shipyard. Bremerton
has been a Navy town since the 1890's. The shipyard was the largest employer
in the area.
By 1911 the population of Bremerton had grown to 3,000 people. In 1927
Bremerton and the nearby town of Charleston were joined into one town under
the name of Bremerton. In 1961 the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard officially
became part of the city of Bremerton.
County Main Page|ALHN
- Washington Main Page|