By Holice, Pam, and Deb
Extra special thanks to Holice B. Young for transcribing this book. The excellent work she does continues to help many researchers! Thanks also, to Pam Rietsch, for sharing her books with genealogists!
THE STEWART & HOLMES DRUG COMPANY.
Two bright young men a few years ago came from the province of Ontario, Canada, to establish on Puget Sound a first class drug-store. They opened an establishment in Seattle, which speedily became the leading pharmacy of that city, and afterward opened a branch store in the rising city of Tacoma. This branch store was established several years ago, and the business has continued to grow in proportion with the growth of Tacoma, and what was once the branch store in Tacoma, is now the headquarters of the company which had been formed with the addition of the large business of Mr. H. E. Holmes, a prominent druggist of Walla Walla, a growing city in Eastern Washington. These two young men were brothers, A. B. and A. M. Stewart, both graduates of the best pharmaceutical colleges on the Continent. The store of the company at 910 Pacific Avenue, is very handsomely and tastefully fitted up. The company has opened accounts only with those houses that supply the purest and best drugs and chemicals. Those at the head of the company are men of more than ordinary ability as practical chemists, and they have special medicines prepared by themselves that received the endorsement of the best physicians in the State of Washington. When the company was organized, there was a demand for a wholesale drug house in the Territory. The company has filled this want, and now has three jobbing houses, one in Seattle, one in Walla Walla, and the third in Tacoma, and are constantly extending their business. The outlook for conducting the most extensive drug business in the State is very hopeful. The officers of the company are A. B. Stewart, president; A. M. Stewart, secretary, and H. e. Holmes, treasurer, all most energetic and capable men.
E. W. TAYLOR.
Has his office on the corner of Pacific Avenue and Thirteenth Street. Mr. Taylor is a scholarly-looking man with lines of determination and energy on his face. He is a native of Ottawa, but came to the Pacific Coast when a child. He graduated at the Santa Rosa College in California before he reached his majority, and then he managed a large farm in that State. After this he taught school, became interested in mining, and finally studied law. He was admitted to the bar in Nevada, and it is characteristic of Mr. Taylor that there were five applicants for admission at the time, and he was the only one who successfully passed. He was afterward County Attorney for Esmeralda County, Nevada. He finally came to Washington, settling in Tacoma.
THE TACOMA PASSENGER AND BAGGAGE TRANSFER COMPANY.
Since the old stage coach was abolished and fast through trains have been made to carry passengers from one side of the continent to the other, travel has increased to an enormous extent, and the general public have demanded better facilities for reaching the hotels from the depots, and for the care of the baggage and movable property. These facilities are supplied by the transfer companies in the various cities, and no city in the United States has a more complete system than that supplied by the Tacoma Passenger and Baggage Transfer Company, under the management of Mr. J. R. Patton.
The company has recently completed one of the finest carriage houses with barns and stables for horses, to be found anywhere. The methods of handling baggage have been reduced by Mr. Patton to perfection. Baggage is checked at the house of the owner, the checks handled over to him and his railway ticket is furnished him by the company without the necessity of his doing more than call up the transfer office by telephone; all the trouble incident to travel is thus removed from his shoulders by the system now in vogue, and his journey is rendered more pleasant because he is relieved of all worry. The company furnishes all of the buses for the leading hotels, and has a large number of handsome carriages and hacks.
G. L. HOLMES & BULL.
The above concern at this time of writing are located at 716 and 720 Pacific Avenue, but expect to be able to occupy their new and spacious building, now in the process of erection on the east side of C Street, between Ninth and Tenth streets before the new year comes in. The business is only a year old, but it has grown and flourished and increased with that amazing rapidity which seems to be characteristic of the City of Destiny. Messrs. Holmes & Bull claim--and with acknowledged justice--to carry a larger line of fine furniture than any firm doing business on the coast north of San Francisco. They also do a large jobbing trade in cheap furniture as well as a wholesale and retail trade in upholstering and carpets.
Mr. G. L. Holmes has been engaged in the manufacture of furniture all his life, and his knowledge of the business includes the smallest detail. A. E. Bull, the second partner, is a Bostonian, who was so impressed with the advantages possessed by this coast from a business point of view, that he has come to permanently cast his lot among us. His energy and shrewdness have had much to do with building up the business to its present proportions.
PUGET SOUND PRINTING COMPANY.
Among the many remarkably thriving institutions of this wonderfully progressive city, is the Puget Sound Printing Company, the interior of whose office is made the subject of one of our illustrations. This company was organized about a year and a half ago, and was formed by the consolidation of two small job offices, having nothing larger than a quarter medium press, and with a capital stock of $10,000. The company at once purchased the Ledger job office, leased the rooms in the Ledger building for one year, and took hold of the new business with a determination to build up a job-printing business that should keep pace with the growth of the city, and with an energy that meant success. Before the end of the year the business of the company had so much increased that it was compelled to remove to more commodious quarters. The capital stock of the company was also increased to $25,000, and a purchase was made of the plant of the Tacoma World, including an engine as well as three presses, and the company secured one-half of the upper floor of the David Block, where it has now the largest and best equipped book and job printing establishment in the State of Washington, and is doing a very extensive business. Thus the power of the press asserts itself in new countries at the very start, nor wait for their growth. The present board of directors of the company are: F. F. Hopkins, president and manager; E. L. Jones, secretary; Geo. A. Tuesley, treasurer; Geo. F. Orchard and Geo. P. Eaton. In addition to their general job printing business, which extends to all parts of the State, it publishes a full line of real estate and legal blanks, a line which, with the growing transactions in real estate and kindred business, will call for a large supply, and which can be found at their establishment, as they have secured a large wholesale trade, which hey are amply able to make a permanent and profitable one.
EFFINGER & ABBOTT.
This firm on Pacific Avenue, opposite Tenth, may be described as belonging o the class of men we would wish to be thoroughly representative of Tacoma. Mr. Effinger was born and brought up in the state of Virginia, and is a warmhearted, chivalrous, impulsive southerner. His forte is criminal and admiralty law, and in that line he is reputed to be exceptionally brilliant and signally successful. Mr. T. O. Abbott is a considerably younger man than his partner, with whom he, in fact, studied. He was born in Illinois, but his father came across the "great divide" with a wagon train when our subject was only three years of age, and settled in Portland, Oregon. Here Mr. Abbott grew to manhood. His father being extensively engaged as a publisher, the son naturally embraced newspaper work as a profession, and when he reached his majority he was already the proprietor as well as editor of the most flourishing journal at Dayton, W. T.
About this period he began to study law, and was finally admitted to the bar in Salem. He is thoroughly posted on realty law, and attends to that portion of the firm's large and rapidly increasing business with earnestness and ability.
Tacoma is rapidly taking rank among the well built cities of the new northwest. Her public edifices are substantial and handsome. One of the finest brick blocks in the city has recently been erected by Mr. Abbott on c. Street, and the postal department at Washington has seen fit to locate the postoffice in the building. The block was erected at the cost of many thousand of dollars, and the owner can congratulate himself that there is not another building in the city that is more substantial, or of more elegant finish. A cut of this edifice is given in this book among the public buildings of Tacoma, with which our work is so profusely ornamented, and affords still another undeniable proof of the excellent taste, and liberality of spirit which so strongly characterized Tacoma's founders, and which to-day stands as a monument to its future greatness.
SMITH , ROOT & JORDAN.
One of the most successful real estate firms in Tacoma is that composed of Col. J. D. Smith, L. T. Root and T. R. Jordan. Their partnership has been in existence a comparatively short time, but it has proved very lucrative. Messrs. Smith & Root were first associated together, Mr. Jordan becoming a member at a later date. Besides being owners of and agents for large properties in the most eligible locations of Tacoma, they are building fine residences here and there, and thus beautifying and improving their property.
They are associated with Messrs. Ross & Naubert and others in the Lake City Land and Railway and Navigation Companies, and these assuredly successful ventures will no doubt bring them handsome and substantial returns for the capital which they have invested so wisely.
The publishers of this work are indebted to the gentlemen of this concern for such courtesies as can hardly be repaid, and desire herewith to express their thanks. While all three members of the firm kindly placed their office at the disposal of the publishers, Col. Smith extended many social kindnesses which will always be fondly cherished. Col. Smith is a Southern gentleman, and is in every way a typical Mississippian, being whole-souled and generous to very near a fault; he spent much of his valuable time in showing to the compiler of this book the principal features of Tacoma, and which are destined to make it a great city.
Col. Smith owns a fine residence in the city and proposes next year building a fine Southern home on the Tacoma Land Co.'s site.
EMERSON & WOOD.
This firm of well known commission merchants, situated at 836 C. Street started in business here in August, 1889, in a new handsome brick block just competed.
Mr. S. H. Emerson is lately from St. Paul, Minn., where he well known and bears a most favorable reputation as a careful financier and business manager. He was quite recently with Mr. Morgan in the commission business in Tacoma. Mr. W. H. Wood, the second member of the firm, hails from San Jose, Cal., in which place he was connected in a responsible capacity with the First National Bank. He is now largely interested in the Washington National Bank of Tacoma.
Emerson & Wood handle a full line of fruits, vegetables, farm produce, etc. Butter and eggs they make a specialty. They are working up a fine country trade, and buy goods from Oregon, Washington, Minnesota and California. Having ample capital to work with, they intend doing a large business, such as will be a credit to the City of Destiny.
ISAAC W. ANDERSON.
It is with regret that the absence of Mr. Anderson has prevented us from obtaining his photograph for insertion among the representative men of the city of Tacoma. Mr. Anderson is the general manager of the Tacoma Land Co., and his affable manner as well as honorable dealings, alike with rich and poor, have not only done much for the upbuilding of the city's manufacturing interests, by the Land Company, but have gained for him the confidence, regard and respect of all classes.
E. C. VAUGHAN & CO.
This firm is an old established one in Tacoma. It is six years since Mr. Vaughan and his associates first opened their present business in Tacoma. To residents in the East, six years is not considered a very long period, but of those who have spent that time in Tacoma, there re hundreds who have made handsome fortunes. During this time Messrs. Vaughan & Co.'s business has grown with the City of Destiny until it equals any of the prominent business houses in the city. This firm is the exclusive agents for United States coast survey charts, for Andrews' school and office supplies, and the Globe filing company. Attention is especially drawn to this firm's assortment of draughtmen's and architects' supplies, which is complete and unrivaled by any other firm in the city. The firm consists of Messrs. E. C. Vaughan, C. W. Morrell, and T. J. Thompson; these gentlemen also own a half interest in the Tacoma Picture Frame company, which establishment is located in the rear end of the store.
CONRAD L. HOSKA.
This well-known undertaker has his office on the corner of Pacific Avenue and Thirteenth Street. he is well known as the leading men in his line in Tacoma, and is probably the best funeral conductor north of San Francisco. He always keeps on hand a full line of burial goods of every description and variety, and is ready to meet any demand that may be made on him in his business with promptness and dispatch. He is still a young man, and possessed of much shrewdness and business energy which enables him to distance all competitors. He is also a public spirited citizen, and largely concerned in many of he important enterprises that have tended to make Tacoma the City of Destiny.
WALKER H. TISDALE.
This gentleman has been identified with the fortunes of Tacoma fro the last seven years. At that time he came here from Detroit, Michigan, and recognizing the immense future possibilities of the City of Destiny, threw himself into the field, and bought property wherever he thought he was justified in the purchase. As a consequence he is now the possessor of some of the choicest business and residence sites in the city, which are rapidly becoming very valuable. Mr. Tisdale is one of the most undaunted believers in the future of Tacoma, and if the city, as we all hope, ever becomes he New York of the Pacific coast, will reap the harvest of his faith by being one of the richest and most popular men upon this coast.
SAUL & AVERY.
These prominent and well-known merchants have three stores for the sale of groceries and food products in Tacoma. The head and principal is in their commodious building on the corner of Ninth and E streets, while the others are located respectively at 1916 Jefferson, and 1919 D. Streets. Their telephone call is No. 519.
Both partners are thorough grocers, and they do business ina business-like manner. Their stock is well selected and complete, and the system and order, and attention to detail, with which they conduct their business is simply unrivaled. Their knowledge and judgment as to quality of goods, gives them a decided advantage over their competitors, and thus enables them to assert with truth that they carry the very best stock of staple and fancy groceries on Puget Sound. The fact that they do such a large trade, gives them another decided advantage over business rivals, as it enables them to buy in large quantities--purchasing proportionately cheaper--and consequently able to undersell others in their line, and give their patrons the benefit of the transaction in superior quality at the same price. Messrs. Saul & Avery are agents for the following line of goods, to which they would call especial attention, as being of the very finest quality:
Silver Spray Flour.
DR. WILLIS E. EVERETTE.
This gentleman, to whom we are indebted for valuable information in our article on minerals, is one of the best known mining geologists and experts on the Pacific slope; he has made the minerals of Washington, Idaho, British Columbia and Alaska, a study for years, and there are few other men so competent as he to give information on this particular subject. Dr. Everette has made tests of every conceivable description, and the results of these tests will certainly be of great value tot he industries relating to their subjects; he has on exhibition at his mining office, No. 1318 E Street, Tacoma, some four thousand samples of ores, minerals, coals, clays, etc., he has expressed his willingness to show them to any accredited persons and give honest and trustworthy information relative thereto; he will also send, on application, a price list for all kinds of mining, engineering, assay and analysis work. In connection with his office, Dr. Everette has a fine chemical laboratory where most of his tests are made.
Those who wish information relative to the keramic industries and possibilities of the Puget Sound basin, would do well to confer with him as he has lately made a collection of the many various kinds of clay found here, and is now subjecting them to a practical test. Already he has secured kaolin clays which will make beautiful porcelain ware, fire clays which have stood over 3300 degrees Fahrenheit, and tile and brick clay which will make a beautiful yellow red tile or bright red pressed brick.
These heats may be relied upon, as Dr. Everette uses the best imported "Pyrometers" direct from the Prussian government factory of the Royal Porcelain Works at Charlottensburg, Prussia.
To those, therefore, who take an interest in the mineral properties of Washington, a visit to Dr. Everette's office will be a great treat, an will give them thoughts on these subjects which will not only afford great enlightenment, but would be difficult and on some points actually impossible to obtain elsewhere.
F. S. HARMON & CO.
This furniture house has its headquarters at 916 Pacific Avenue, and is the oldest established house in Tacoma in this line; the firm probably do the most extensive business of any furniture house on Puget Sound. They handle everything in the way of furniture, and it is so arranged on their different floors as to present as handsome showrooms as can be found in the city. They have also a large warehouse situated close to the tracks of the Northern Pacific railroad, making is accessible.
Mr. F. s. Harmon is a young man and has met with great success in the City of Destiny. Some years ago he came to Tacoma, in company with John MacCready, the hardware merchant, and the success of both has been phenomenal. Mr. Harmon, soon after establishing his business, took up a claim of government land adjoining the city, and retains this property to the present day; its value can hardly be estimated, as it is now eligible for residence sites, and from that holding alone, Mr. Harmon could realize a handsome fortune. But his business in itself has yielded immense profits, and it is due to him to say that it was built up by his energy alone; he has a shrewd intellect and keen perceptions, courteous demeanor, and great determination, and is also a prominent man in public affairs.
WILLIAM S. TAYLOR.
William S. Taylor was born in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, Oct. 5, 1840. His father, Col. Joseph W. Taylor, with his family, moved to Iowa in 1845, and the subject of this sketch was raised in Iowa, near Keokuk; but in 1861 returned to Pennsylvania, remaining there until 1868, when he was ordained to the ministry in the Free Will Baptist Church. As a pulpit orator he has few equals. He believes a business man should be a Christian, and while one of the most successful real estate brokers, he preaches and lectures constantly. He is a very kind and generous man, and has been honored in many ways by his fellow men. He represented the Nez Perces District in the Idaho Senate with ability and distinction in the session of 1883-84. He and his estimable wife and son, Orrin DeW. Taylor,
and his beloved mother, reside at Orting, in one of the loveliest spots on Puget Sound (Rivulet Park), Orting, W. T., and his gardens are the very finest in the Puyallup Valley.
A HOME ON PUGET SOUND.
No real estate broker on the Sound can offer better bargains than Mr. Taylor, owning as he does a large amount of property in all parts of Orting and Tacoma, and throughout Pierce County, and no one who has ever failed so far to realize on it handsomely. He has the finest property in Orting and "Lake View," and offers great inducements to those seeking nice homes in these lovely villages, or in Tacoma, or in small farms on the Sound and wheat farms in Eastern Washington. He particularly recommends his five and ten acre tracts near the great City of Destiny. All inquiries made of him are promptly and reliably answered from his Orting office.
This gentleman's offices are situated at 909 Pacific Avenue. He does a large business in real estate, loans and mortgages, and is one of the busiest men in this desirous of investing in some of the numerous real estate properties which he controls.
He started business in this city in 1886, and his resistless energies have done as much toward forwarding Tacoma's interests, and advertising its merits to the world, as that of any other one man. He also stands sponsor for the well known "Sweet's Addition," and handles besides, carious other very choice acreage and addition property.
Mr. Steinbach has had a most valuable experience in his own line of business, and combines his natural bent for the business with strict integrity in all his transactions, thus building up a reputation for probity which will last as long as Tacoma does.
C. A. SNOWDEN & CO.
This firm has its offices at 918 a Street, opposite the Tacoma, and, though one of the youngest, is one of the most active and enterprising in the city. Before coming to this Coast, Mr. Snowden was engaged in the newspaper business, to which he was educated by the late Wilbur F. Storey, the founder and famous editor of the Chicago Times. He began work as night reporter on that paper, after leaving college in 1872, and in less than three years was made city editor, a place which he held until 1880, when he was made managing editor, with full authority. Under his management the paper undertook and carried successfully some of the best known enterprises which made it famous, and gave it the largest circulation of any newspaper in the west. Among these was the publication of the revised edition of the New Testament entire, in its Sunday morning edition. Previous to this publication of the Testament, the times had secured, through its special correspondent in London, extracts amounting to four thousand words, which were cabled over and published nearly a month in advance of any publication elsewhere. This was probably the longest cable message ever sent to any
single newspaper up to that time. When Mr. Storey began to be incapacitated for business in 1882, Mr. Snowden went to Washington and became manager of The Natural Republican, which he conducted successfully up to the end of President Arthur's administration. In the spring of 1885 he made his first visit to the Coast, and after about a month spent in California returned East with the firm determination to come back at some future time and remain here permanently. This determination he did not immediately carry out, however. Finding what he thought a promising opening in his old business he formed a company and purchased the Chicago Mail in June, 1885, and in three years built it up from a very unpromising beginning to be one of the most attractive evening papers in Chicago. In 1187 he got together the combination which ended the litigation over the Storey estate, by buying up the claims of all the heirs, not only to The Times but to all the rest of the property which the deceased editor had possessed. The negotiations which led up to the successful conclusion of this deal, involving over $600,000, were made possible by Mr. Snowden's former connection with the paper and his acquaintance with the parties, and they were carried out largely through his efforts. By this success he became the owner of a considerable block of The Times stock, and was made editor of the sheet, which position he filled until December, 1999, during which time the paper, which had suffered considerably during the long period of litigation following the death of Mr. Storey, was restored to its old time prosperity, its circulation increasing by 7,000 copies per day more than it ever had in its most successful days under its former proprietor
During his management of The Mail Mr. Snowden organized and was prominent in the conduct of the "boodie" investigation in Cook County which resulted in sending five of the conspirators to the penitentiary for three years each, the sentence of two others to similar terms, which they escaped by a reversal of their case in the Supreme Court, and the conviction of three others, who paid fines.
Leaving the newspaper business in 1888, through a disagreement with the other stockholders, none of whom had ever had any previous experience in newspaper management, Mr. Snowden again came West and began at once to apply himself to this new business. He has been abundantly successful. He has made a careful study not only of the city but the resources of the State, particularly of its timber, about which he can perhaps furnish as much reliable information as even the oldest resident. While in control of The Times in 1881, he sent John F. Finerty, the famous war correspondent and explorer of that paper, over the line of the Northern Pacific railroad, then completed to Missoula. The series of letters furnished by the brilliant correspondent, and printed at the time, were widely read and commented on, and no doubt did much to swell the tide of immigrations which has since set strongly toward the Puget Sound country. He now regards this enterprise as one of his principal journalistic success. Mr. Snowden is an enthusiastic believer in Tacoma, and the new State of Washington.
C. E. CASE, M. D.
Dr. Case, a prominent and well-known physician, is one of the representative men of Tacoma, and there are few citizens to whom we may point with more pride than we do to him. Dr. Case is not only representative, but he is the ideal type of Westerner who has made the Pacific Coast the wonder of latter-day civilization by the audacity and immensity of her enterprises and the vigor and determination with which they are carried to a successful conclusion. Dr. Case is a large man physically as well as intellectually, and his magnificent growth of black beard renders his individuality still more striking. He was born in California, but studied medicine in St. Louis during his earlier manhood. He practiced medicine in that city during the years 1876, 1877, and 1878. Then he returned to San Francisco and took a course of study in the Medical College of the Pacific, which is now known as the Cooper College. He afterward attended the California Medical College, from which he graduated in 1880. He was then offered and accepted the chair of Professor of Surgical Anatomy in that institution. He filled it with great credit to himself and satisfaction to the faculty during the course of 1881 and 1882. Shortly afterward he came to Tacoma and soon built up a large and flourishing practice in this city. Besides possessing the credentials to the confidence of the community already enumerated, the Doctor graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago in 1886, from the New York Post Graduate Medical School and New York Polyclinic in 1888, and has certificates of private instruction from Prof. A. Reeves Jackson of Chicago, on surgical diseases of women; of John E. Harper, A. M., M. D., of Chicago, on the eye and ear and the use of the opthalmoscope and otoscope, and correction of the errors of refraction. He has also a certificate from the New York Polyclinic for the satisfactory performance of operations in the Surgery Sessions of 1888 and 1889.
Since Dr. Case has been located in Tacoma, he has performed many remarkable and interesting operations. Among them, indeed, were some that have made his reputation almost world wide. Notably the case of Alfred Huntington,
the son of John Huntington of the firm of Huntington & Little, was the eighth instances of successful abdominal operation for gunshot wound of the liver on record throughout the world. The boy was shot through the body by a 32-caliber pistol, the ball passing through the boy's liver. The abdominal cavity was opened its whole length, and the injured structures properly cared for. A great deal of blood was found in the abdominal cavity, which was thoroughly cleansed and all bleeding vessels secured preparatory to closing the abdominal walls by silver wire and catgut sutures. Since the operation the abdominal cavity has been washed out as often as the temperature indicated any danger of blood poisoning, a glass drainage tube being left in the abdominal cavity for that purpose. The strictest antiseptic precautions have been observed throughout the operation, and the subsequent treatment, and the boy may now with certainty be pronounced as out of danger.
An almost equally interesting case was that of Jesse Steele, a fifteen year old boy, who lately shot himself in the forearm in this city. Owing to the retraction the skin on the arm could not be brought together and then caught up by sutures, so Dr. Case grafted skin from the upper forearm onto the naked place, and the boy is now almost well. He has also performed several very difficult surgical operations within the past sixty days.
Dr. Case is as much in love with Tacoma as if it were his birthplace, and extols its virtues and advantages to every visitor he meets. He takes an active part in the welfare of the city, and there is seldom a movement on foot for the city's benefit which does not surely find him in some way identified with its promotion.
You are the 4168th Visitor to this USGenNet Website Since September 6, 2004
Html by Debbie Axtman
[Index][WA AHGP][Mardos Memorial Library]