Tacoma Illustrated

Tacoma Illustrated
Her History, Growth & Resources
A Comprehensive Review of the 
City of Destiny
Chapter 2


By Holice, Pam, and Deb

Extra special thanks to Holice B. Young for transcribing this book.  The excellent work she does continues to help many researchers!  Thanks also, to Pam Rietsch, for sharing her books with genealogists!


Page 9



Tacoma Illustrated, as the title of this work implies, is published to illustrate or set forth as clearly as possible, the innumerable advantages that the "City of Destiny" possesses. Its rapid growth in the past few years from an insignificant hamlet of a few hundred people to a bustling metropolitan city of over 30,000 inhabitants; its unequaled transportation facilities as the western terminus of the great Northern Pacific Railroad, which joins the Puget Sound country with the Eastern States; its railroad facilities to the southward, and its point of vantage at the head of navigation of one of the grandest inlets of the sea in the world; its wealth, as the center of vast and magnificent forests, mines of precious and baser minerals, and its fisheries; it sever-increasing commerce, that is reaching out to all parts of the habitable globe; and finally, its climate, which by reason of the slight changes during the different seasons of the year, makes Tacoma one of the most desirable places to reside in on the face of the earth.

Thus, the compilers of this work wish to give as clear and comprehensive an idea of Tacoma as possible. It will be advisable for us to go back to the year 1873, just before the directors of the Northern Pacific Railroad unanimously decided that the most advantageous point on the North Pacific Coast for the terminus of the road they were then constructing across the northern part of the Untied States, was the western shore of Commencement Bay, an inlet at the head of Puget Sound, a location admirably adapted for the building of an immense city, with unequaled harbor facilities. What a difference between Tacoma then and now!. That part of the city now known as the First Ward, is the site of old Tacoma, which in 1873 consisted of a straggling village of about 300 souls, and its buildings of no greater extent than a sawmill and a few houses, homes of the men employed in the mill, while the present portion of the city was a mass of stumps and underbrush.

We produce herewith a sketch of the only house now standing which was on the present site of New Tacoma when the Northern pacific terminus was located.

Having determined upon this site, the railroad company purchased 3,000 acres, and 13,000 acres of additional and neighboring lands.

The Tacoma Land Company, on the other hand, laid out the city directly south of the old town site, toward the head of the bay, and shortly afterward commenced the erection of the finest hotel on the coast north of San Francisco, and the president of the company, Charles B. Wright, of Philadelphia, built a beautiful church structure, and liberally endowed the Annie Wright Seminary, for girls, and the Washington College, for boys. These substantial and imposing looking buildings at once give Tacoma a foundation showing permanency and future greatness. It was then that investors and home seekers turned their faces in the direction of Tacoma, and there has since been a continual stream of them, ever increasing in volume.

The publication of the resolution of the railroad company to make Tacoma the western terminus, through the newspapers, gave notice to the world that a new and great city was to be built in the West. Many intelligent people, being aware of the opportunities such a project involved, made preparations to come here. They knew that at the terminus of a great trunk line stretching across the continent, especially if that terminus was a seaport where ship and rail would meet for the transfer of cargoes, there must come shippers and money changers, and that the business incident to such a place would be sufficient in itself to insure the building of a city. They had seen Chicago grow, and were anxious to be in at such another birth. But at that time the end of the railroad tract has only reached Bismarck, Dak., 1,400 miles distant from the site of the proposed city. The rails were being laid at the rate of 250 miles per year across the plains, and in the path toward Puget Sound lay two high mountain ranges--the Rockies, in Montana, and the Cascades, in Washington. The Rockies, when reached long afterward, were readily overcome with a 3,600 foot tunnel, but to overcome the Cascades was a more difficult undertaking. The Stampede Pass presented the least difficulties of several passes that were discovered, and yet it required nearly three miles of tunneling, including a tunnel under the summit of nearly two miles in length. The road through these mountains to Tacoma would cost eight millions of dollars.

The construction of a hundred miles of railroad from Tacoma to the Columbia River, was the quickest and least expensive way of reaching Puget Sound from the east and south. The Northern Pacific directors therefore decided to connect with the Sound, first, by the Columbia River route, Accordingly they located what is now known as

Page 10

the Pacific Division and secured control of the navigation of the Columbia from Kalama to Portland, and Walla Walla. For several years this was the only route between the eastern and western parts of Washington. The original plan for a direct line to Puget Sound, though held temporarily in check, and still further retarded by the financial crisis of 1872 and '73, was never abandoned. The terminus of the main line had been definitely established at Tacoma where the lines of traffic from the south and east converge, and the ground was laid out for a large city. the causes which delayed the completion of the railroad hindered the settlement and development of the entire western part of the Territory, and of course prevented the city of Tacoma from realizing at once the hopes of its founders. But notwithstanding these adverse circumstances, its growth for the first few years was relatively greater than that of rival towns. But as soon as direct communication was made across the Cascade Mountains, the growth of Tacoma was phenomenal.


The peninsular promontory upon which Tacoma is built, runs out to a point forming a triangle. Taking Twenty-first Street at the head of Commencement Bay, and traveling in its direction west for five miles, we come to the waters of Puget Sound again at the Narrows. From Twenty-first Street to Point Defiance northward, is a distance of five miles. To the line of the Puyallup Indian reservation is four miles. The highest point of the promontory is in its center, a moderately high ridge extending its whole length until at its extreme northern point it ends in an abrupt bold precipice, presenting that appearance, as approached from the north by the Sound, which suggested the name of Defiance." The main land at the head of the bay, slopes gradually down to the water from the south, and an area of three and a half square miles lies so low that the high tides cover a large portion of it. This track is known as the "tide flats." Those when dyked will afford the very best location for mills and factories which have business equally with ships and cars.

Already a mammoth sawmill as well as an equally large sash and door factory are in operation on the flats, but these can hardly be mentioned with the improvements that will be made in the next twelve months. Docks extending a mile and a quarter, are now being constructed for ocean going vessels. A large freight and warehouse is also being built upon the wharf. Another proposed improvement is the building of an immense suspension bridge across the broad arm of Puyallup River, from with Ninth of Tenth streets to the flats. The importance as well as the expenditure of such an undertaking as this can only be appreciated by one familiar with the site.

From here the land rises gradually in natural terraces back from the water, as well as long its front. No more perfect natural location for a great city could be conceived. When the railroad company determined upon this as a terminal point, it instructed its engineers to lay this land out for the building of a city; to forget the wilderness that crowded it; to forget that it was on the extreme frontier; to bear in mind only its future greatness, and to have a care that its streets and avenues should have noble proportions in keeping with that idea, that when they should be lined with stately buildings there should be nothing to regret. They entered into the full spirit of their work, and to-day,

Page 11

friends, jealous rivals and indifferent strangers alike agree that no city on the continent is so splendidly planned. The engineer declared when he entered upon the work that the streets should have such easy grades that a horse with buggy and driver might go from any one point to another in a lively trot, and he carried his point. The east and west streets climb the hills at gentle grades, and east stages, the main avenue (north and south) stretch along natural benches of the side hills, forming the most magnificent of drives. The streets are all eighty feet wide, the venues one hundred, and the alleys forty feet. The top of the hill is reached at a half a mile back from the water and the land, thence spreads away on a level plateau until within a short distance of the Narrows, when it again slopes in the same way to the water.


Previous to November, 1880, the little town of Steilacoom was the county seat of Pierce County, but as Tacoma grew and the principal interests of the county became centered here, it was decided that at the general elections held in November, the question of the permanent location of the headquarters of the county offices should be left to the vote of the people, and on the tenth day of November, 1880, the county commissioners formally declared Tacoma the choice of the public by an overwhelming vote. At the opening of the year 1887, the most enthusiastic champions of Tacoma did not estimate its population above 9,000, and this had been the result of a gradual, steady growth since the little sawmill settlement was electrified by the news that it had been chosen as the site for the terminus of the railroad. While the most enthusiastic citizen of 1887 did not rate the population above 9,000, the most conservative citizen of 1889 does not place it under 30,000. The city has spread over miles of additional territory, and what was a suburb a few years ago, is now comparatively the center of the city. the hilly situation of the city and the numerous stumps made the grading of streets an expensive undertaking, but notwithstanding this, Tacoma now has fifty-two miles of admirably graded streets, and ninety-eight miles of sidewalks. Since May 1, 1889, over eighteen miles of streets and twenty-six miles of sidewalks have been graded, and it is the intention of the city surveyor to grade twenty-two miles more of streets, and put down thirty miles more of sidewalks before the beginning of the year. With regard to the sewerage system of Tacoma the same energy has been displayed by the city government. The city now possesses a system that is second to none on the Pacific Coast. Since last May fifteen miles more will be finished. The expenses of the city for street improvements for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1889, are as follows: For grading and sidewalks, $150,564.78; for sewers, $79,609.66; for condemnation of property for streets, $10,127.75; for repairing of sidewalks, streets, sewers and wharves, this together with the general expenses, including salaries and light and water bills, etc. makes the total expenses $353,718.96. The question of paving the streets with some suitable material that will facilitate traffic and enable the cleansing of the streets, has been discussed by the city council and as the winter season prevents the introduction of a permanent pavement, the principal streets and avenues are being planked. It is also proposed next year to put down cedar blocks or asphalt.


The business portion of the city extends principally from the head of the bay along the water front for the distance of several miles. On the even, low lying ground at the head of the bay are grouped mills, factories, machine shops and foundries. The railroad coming west down the valley of the Puyallup river sweeps round in this direction (with convenient sidetracks), and extends along the water front to the Point Defiance Park. The ocean freight wharf and shipping docks are at a point about one-fourth of this

Page 12

distance north., where the tide flats end and the deep water begins. Here commences a series of coal bunkers and wheat warehouses, and further along, the great Tacoma mill, fish cannery, the Pacific mill and the smelting and reduction works, with small industries interspersed. From the ocean freight docks a street (now being remodeled at great cost into a splendid thoroughfare) has been cut out of the side hill extending at a grade sufficiently easy to accommodate the heaviest traffic, up to the top of the first bench, where it leads ina straight line and on a natural grade, down to the passenger depot and manufacturing and wholesale section at the head of the bay again, and on for a mile beyond. This is Pacific Avenue, the main business thoroughfare, at the highest point of which, as it rises from the wharf and docks and commanding a perfect view of the shipping and railroad yards, stand the new Western office building of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company. From this point to the passenger station at Seventeenth Street, this thoroughfare is built up with costly brick blocks from three to seven stories high. At the foot of Fifteenth Street, the city is now constructing expensive and commodious docks for the numerous Sound steamers that make Tacoma their headquarters to receive and discharge freight.


The resident portion of Tacoma is situated upon the higher ground, and is thus lifted above the stir and noise of the business portion; the citizens continually enjoys the purest of air, the best of drainage, and the most delightful of views. Such is the gradual slope of the hillside that, like raised chairs ina theater, the windows of nearly every house upon it command the incomparable view spread before it.

The bay, with its quiet waters and green islands, is given a spirit o life by a multitude of water craft, from the tiny canoe, pleasure boat and noisy tug, to the dignified ocean steamer and full-rigged ship, moving hither and thither, or lying quietly at anchor in the bay or moored to the docks. Across the bay the eye follows the meandering of the Puyallup river--a thread of silver winding through the meadows of the alley, fringed with changing verdure, on through the Indian Reservation, past the church, and school and little settlement, on until it is lost in the dark pine woods of the foothills. Then, above the dark green girdle the imposing majesty of great Tacoma lists its mighty head far into the clouds. Be the soul of the observer ever so unimpressible it must be stirred with sudden wonder and awe. From the quiet pastoral beauty of the valley of the Puyallup to this great white robed monarch of all the mountains is a contrast that, travelers tell us, has no parallel in the world's panorama. There are higher mountains than Tacoma, but not one other known peak that rises so grandly alone form the level of the sea to such a height. It is covered with a complete robe of snow from the line of green foothills in which its base is lost tot eh distant observer, to the top where the steam of a slumbering volcano hovers over its crown forming what is called the "liberty cap."

Looking to the west from these same windows there are the jagged peaks and white snow caps of the Olympic or Coast Range, forming another beautiful and distant horizon. Look at this picture as often as you will, it is ever the same. The play of light and shade and changing cloud effects, the sunrise and sunset, the rising moon and every breeze touch it with an artistic hand to add new beauties. This view--"a view of the mountain"-- is the first consideration.

Page 13

with the purchaser of residence property in the city and whether it is good or imperfect has a very great influence on the price which he is asked.


Tacoma is rapidly taking position as a great manufacturing center. Heretofore it has imported the bulk of the products consumed by its people. While it bought of distant cities flour and feed, furniture, boots and shoes and other articles of daily use, it shipped away lumber, coal, wheat, and hides of which these things are made. But the course of trade has already ina great measure changed, and is still changing. With abundant coal and coke, several varieties of iron ore and limestone for flux necessary to the making of iron and steel, abundant wood and water, unequaled transportation facilities and a great market, at hand. Tacoma must necessarily come to the front of all rival towns on the Pacific Coast as a great manufacturing center. The railroad company established machine sops here as early as 1877, and other works followed until the list of paid operatives and the amount of money paid workmen here is greater then any place north of Portland, Oregon. There are now numerous iron and brass foundries, stove works, machine shops, car and locomotive shops, flour mills, furniture factories, sewer pipe, tile and potters' works, brickyards, a number of shingle mills, sash and door factories, in fact, every industry of importance is represented in the City of Destiny. As to the sawmills, the aggregate daily output is 1,500,000 feet per day. Tacoma is the lumber center of the North Pacific Coast. The Ryan Smelter and Reduction works with a capacity of 15,000 tons of ore, will be in full operation by June 1, 1889. It would not be doing the City of Destiny justice to attempt to show forth the industries that are within her gates, in a general article on the city, and in order to expatiate upon them, the compilers of this work have decided to take up each branch ina systematic manner.


The City Council have taken steps to secure for the city the grandest system of public parks of any city in the country. As is well known, the United States Government reserved from the public lands thrown open to settlement Sections 16 and 36 in every township. A section of land is a square mile, and these, as surveyed in tracts of 36 square miles and numbered 1 to 36, form a township. All the rest, except the even hundred sections for fifty miles along the railroad, which form the land grant to the company, are open to settlement, as is well known. The sections 16 and 36 are reserved, to be sold when the Territory shall become a State, the proceeds to forma public school fund. Under a recent act of Congress, the county commissioners are authorized to lease these lands in order that they shall draw a revenue pending this time. The City Council of Tacoma at once negotiated the lease of one-half of 16 and all of 36 from the county commissioners. Section 16 of township 21, in which Tacoma is located, adjoins the present city limits on the south, and section 36 adjoins it on the northwest. It is contemplated that the city will purchase the lands as soon as statehood makes that possible. In the heart of the present city a reservation of thirty acres was left by the Land Company for park purposes, and this has already been improved by the city. The National Congress at its last session passed an act dedicating the United States military reserve, comprising over 600 acres at Point Defiance, for the use of the city of Tacoma as a public park. These, with several smaller tracts in different sections of the city, connected by broad and beautiful drives, complete a system of parks that will forever be a public pride. Indeed, the country for a distance of twenty miles south of Tacoma, and including Section 16, is a perfect natural park, as level in many places as a floor, free of underbrush, but rendered beautiful by groves of fir, evergreen and small oak, and here and there a lake bordered with pine and hazel brush. Around and through this one may drive winter and summer in any direction. It is covered with a thin grass, and nearly summer with myriads of beautiful flowers. In the most northerly portion of this natural park is located the only race track near Tacoma. The land was recently purchased for this use by a company organized in Tacoma, and here it is intended to hold races and fairs. At a distance of about twelve miles and in the open prairie are found what are known as Gravelly and American Lakes, a region of great beauty, adding much tot he attractiveness of the country which immediately surrounds this beautiful "City of Destiny."

Page 14


The port of Port Townsend, through which all vessels coming into or going out from Puget South, pass, has become the fifth port in importance in the United States. The value of incoming and outgoing cargoes at four ports in the country, only, exceed the value of these passing through Port Townsend, and more cargoes go out from or are bound to Tacoma, than any other city on Puget sound. Tacoma has one of the finest harbors in the world. It is several miles in length, and the water is from 40 to 75 fathoms deep. The distance to Port Townsend is about 75 miles, and the cost of towing vessels in from the sea and back again is very small comparatively.

For the year 1999, the total lumber exports of Tacoma amounted to $873,707.75, or 73,454,905 feet of lumber, valued at #760,453.70 for the year 1887. The lumber exports for the year 1889 will be still larger. There are several large mills now in operation that were not yet completed last year. The lumber is shipped to San Francisco and other coast cities, and to Europe, South America and ports on the Atlantic Coast. Large quantities of lath, spars, and pickets are also exported from Tacoma. It is likely that the value of lumber exports from Tacoma for the year 1889 will exceed $1,000,000. The coal shipped from Tacoma during 1888 aggregated 111 cargoes; amounting to 272,529 tons, valued at $1,46,912.25. The amount of coal shipped from this port during 1889 will be considerably greater then that shipped in 1888. Less than half of he coal taken out of the mines tributary to Tacoma is shipped. Some of the largest mines are owned b the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, and is used by the railroad itself. The exportation of wheat from Tacoma has also been touched upon at length in another article.

Tacoma is connected with San Francisco by a line of steamers, one of which arrives and departs from Tacoma every five days. These returning steamers transport to San Francisco from Tacoma large quantities of flaxseed, hides, and other commodities. These steamers bring up from San Francisco large quantities of manufactured goods, besides fruit and vegetables during the summer season, before those grown around Tacoma are fully matured.

Tacoma is also becoming a great importing city. She imports tea by the shipload from Japan and China, and many cargoes yearly of different commodities from Great Britain.

During the year 1888 the value of the tea imported to Tacoma was $438,089, on which duties amounting to $23,280.15 were paid. Most of the tea thus imported consisted of five cargoes brought over in the ship by W. J. Rotch, ST. Francis, Republic, and the barks George S. Homer and Spartan. Two cargoes of tea were imported to Tacoma in 1887, and three during 1889. The three cargoes imported this year were brought over from Japan by the ships Lucy A. Nickels, Frank Pendleton, and Wildwood. In all about 25,000,000 pounds of tea have been imported to Tacoma. The tea was shipped east over the Northern Pacific Railroad and was destined to Eastern cities and London.

A number of British iron ships arrive in Tacoma each year with general cargoes from Great Britain. Already this year, nine British vessels have arrived in Tacoma. These were the Lady Cairns, Francis Thorpe, Nith, Keir, La Escocesa, Edinburshire, Madeira, Dumbartonshire and Ullock. These vessels were loaded with cement, fire brick, steel nails, and other English products. There are now four other vessels on the way to Tacoma from England, and several others have been chartered. The vessels coming from England load wheat or lumber for export. This is one reason why vessel owners like to send their ships to Tacoma; they are always sue of securing a charter for their vessel to load wheat or lumber at this port.


Tacoma is a city built upon a hill, and does not seek to hide her light under a bushel. The fact however, that she has steep grades makes the subject of his article, street railway facilities, an all important one, both for present and future consideration. The astonishing growth of Tacoma, and the rapid sale and settling of suburban property are forcing the subject imperatively upon the consideration of her inhabitants as one that must be promptly dealt with.

With their usual energy the capitalists of Tacoma have grappled with this problem; accordingly a number of lines have been projected, and a list of franchises applied for that will gridiron the city with tracks, bringing the outskirts of the town into closer connection with the business portions and increasing the value of every foot of property past which they are paid.

It is impossible to give in the allotted space, a complete enumeration of every already constructed or projected street railway. Among the principal ones which may be mentioned, is the Tacoma Railway & Motor Company, whose franchise, as ascertained, cover about all of the principal streets in the business and residence portions of the city.

The Tacoma Central Railway is controlled by Messrs. Manning, Bogle and Hays. It will extend south on Sixth Street, to Division Avenue, Prescott Avenue, Pine Street, and tot he city limits. Another franchise covers Eleventh Street from pacific Avenue to K and from there to Thirteenth and along thirteenth to Pacific Avenue again. R. F. Radebaugh owns a franchise to run along Delin Street from Pacific to Wright Avenue, tot he southerly limits of the city on G. Street and on south Twenty-ninth from Pacific Avenue to Delin Street. The North End road, mainly controlled by Allen C. mason, will, as its name indicates, pass through the north suburbs, and have a branch which will reach to the smelter. The westerly limits of the city will be reached by a line running along Eleventh Street from K to the limits.

At the time of writing miles of street railway tracks are being graded and laid in various portions of the city, and there is not question that shortly the whole town will be furnished with a thoroughly equipped street car system, the peer of any similar system in the Untied States.


There are more newspapers published in Tacoma than in any other city in Washington. Besides three dailies publishing full telegraphic reports and employing a large force of editors, reporters and special writers, there are nine weeklies published in various languages, and devoted to various interests.

The Morning Globe and Daily Ledger are issued every morning, and the Evening News, as its name implies, dishes up every evening in an entertaining manner, all events of interest that occur during the day. The weeklies are, the Sunday Times, a bright and entertaining society paper, the West Coast Trade, devoted to the wholesale and jobbing interests; Every Sunday, giving a resume of occurrences at the end of each week; the Globe, Ledger and News, weekly editions; the Real Estate Journal, devoted to real estate; the Northwest Horticultural and Stock Journal, the Baptist and the Watch am Sunde, a German paper. The Real Estate and Industrial Journal and the Bulletin (the latter published by the Y. M. C. A.) are monthlies.


The Tacoma Ledger is the oldest established paper in Tacoma, and Pierce County. It was established as a weekly eight column four page folio paper, by R. F. Radebaugh of San Francisco, and H. C,. Patrick of the Santa Cruz (Cal.) Courier, making its first appearance on Wednesday, April 21, 1880, and thereafter every Friday. At the head of the columns on the fist page, under its title, there appeared, and still appears in the weekly, the following terse declaration outlining its policy: "An independent journal, devoted to the development of the resources of Washington Territory." This policy has been adhered to. Its political leanings have been toward Republicanism. It was uphill work publishing a paper in the early days of new Tacoma, with its population of less than 800, but as the town prospered the Ledger prospered with it. In May, 1882, R. F. Radebaugh became the sole proprietor of the Ledger, and still retains ownership. On Saturday, April 7, 1883, the first issue of the Daily Ledger was published, in six column four page folio form, carrying the dispatches of the Western Associated Press. It is still the only paper in Tacoma that receives them. Increasing business necessitated an enlargement of the Ledger, a few months later, to an eight column paper. On March 1, 1885, it was enlarged to a six column eight page paper, which form it retained until April 20, 1888, when it was enlarged to a seven column paper, its present size.

Up to Monday, February 25, 1889, the Daily Ledger was issued only six days a week, from Tuesday to Sunday inclusive, but on the above date the Monday paper was first issued, and a seven day journal established, the Sunday paper appearing as the Sunday Ledger. While advocating the interests of Tacoma, the Ledger never lost sight of the Territory, and there is not a paper in Washington which has done more to attract immigration and capital by hard missionary work in repeatedly calling the attention of the world to the boundless resources of this great commonwealth.


The Tacoma Morning Globe was started in October, 1888, by the Globe Publishing Company, and has made a record unparalleled in the history of newspapers. From the first it has been a live local paper, largely due to Chas. F. Race, who had charge of the local department for the first six months, and with Frank J. Millard, business manger, did all the editorial work, including the telegraph and proofreading. January 1 it was enlarged to its present size. In February Col. Will L. Visscher became editor in chief, and the paper soon took its place as one of the leading dailies of the metropolis of Washington. Upon the retirement of Mr. Race, the local department fell to Chas. Woodworth who had been on the staff for some time. The telegraph service of the paper is unsurpassed by any in the State, and is under the supervision of C. E. Crittendon. A perfecting press has been ordered, and is now on the way from Chicago, and the Globe, in one year, from a small folio, is now a handsome newspaper, known and read in every hamlet in the State.


This sheet was first published as the Pierce County News, whose first number appeared in the then small village of Tacoma, Aug. 10, 1881. George W. Mattice was its publisher. The Pierce County News was enlarged Oct. 26, 1881, and again on Jan. 25, 1882. H. C. Patrick, now a Justice of the Peace in Tacoma, made a daily newspaper of it Sept. 25, 1883, and called it The Tacoma News. He sold his interest to George R. Epperron & Co. (silent interest being held by Allen C. Mason, W. A. Berry, James Wickersham and William McIntyre). The News Publishing Company was organized March 1, 1886, with Richard Roediger, William McIntyre, Allen C. Mason, W. A. Berry and James Wickersham, as incorporators. The latter three subsequently retired, and the property was then owned by Messrs. Roediger and McIntyre. Thomas E. Scantlin bought an interest in the establishment in the fall of 1888, and the owners and officers of the paper now are: President, William McIntyre; vice-president, T. E. Scantlin; secretary, Richard Roediger. The Evening News has since been enlarged to an eight column folio, is a prosperous and enterprising Democratic journal, and the only evening paper in Tacoma. Mr. Scantlin is the editor-in-chief; city editor, H. Hal Hoffman; telegraph editor, George P. Jacobs; assistant city editor, Edward H. Miller.

The company also operated a large job printing department. The excavations for a new four story brick and stone building, which The Evening News will erect between Railroad and C Streets., south of Eleventh Street, are now under way, and a new Perfection press for the daily is now on the way.

Page 16


This excellent paper is published and edited by Mr. Orno Strong, late of Michigan.

The Trade is an independent journal, devoted to the mercantile interests of the North Pacific country. It contains quotations on the leading articles of merchandise, a weekly review of the markets in general, a record of the events of trade and business, editorial essays and notes, industrial, financial, manufacturing and shipping news.

The aim of the Trade is to represent, fully and fairly, Washington's mercantile interests, and to prove a careful, faithful friend to the retail merchant--in brief, to serve those engaged in the business of buying and selling.

To Mr. Strong the compilers of "Tacoma Illustrated" are indebted for valuable information concerning Tacoma's rapidly increasing jobbing trade.


The Journal was first established as a real estate journal in Tacoma by Mr. A. W. Berry as publisher, and Col. C. W. Hobart, an able and prominent newspaper man formerly connected with the principal newspapers of Chicago, as editor and manager. May 1, 1888, it was just a four column quarto, devoted exclusively to the real estate of Tacoma, and issued weekly. It met with favor and financial success from the first month, and 5,000 copies were issued each week, and largely circulated throughout the Eastern States.

At the end of the first year and volume, its name was changed to "The Journal, devoted to the Real Estate and Industrial Interests of Washington," and its form changed to a six column folio, in which shape it is now published.

In August, 1889, Boothroyd & Co., succeeded A. W. Berry as publisher, the editorial management still remaining in the hands of Col. C. W. Hobart. The change in name and scope extended its field to the entire Territory, in which its meets with success as a worker in the upbuilding of the grant future State of Washington.


Mr. Edward N. Fuller arrived in Tacoma on the 26th of July, 1882, and at once enlisted as editor of the Weekly News, which was purchased by Mr. H. C. Patrick a few weeks previous. He continued to edit that paper until September, 1883, when the daily edition was commenced. Early in the year 1883, he resigned the editorship of the News to become secretary of the Tacoma Chamber of Commerce, which position he held for two years, in the meantime, (May, 1886) starting a weekly paper called Commerce. In May, 1887, he removed this paper to Puyallup, W. T., it being the first newspaper ever printed in the great scope of country between the cities of Tacoma and Seattle. In August, 1888, Mr. Fuller sold the Commerce to Col. J. W. Redington, and made an engagement as editorial writer on the staff of the Tacoma Daily Ledger, which terminated on the 1st of January, 1889. On March 3, 1889, he started Every Sunday, in the first ward of Tacoma, known as "Old Tacoma," which paper has made good progress, and promises to become a successful journal. Mr. Fuller began his newspaper career in February, 1842, in a Dover (N. H.) printing office, and proposes to celebrate his fiftieth anniversary in 1892. His son Robert, and daughter Fay Ed. Fuller, are associated with him in the conduct of Every Sunday.


Tacoma harbor may be divided into three sections: the old ocean docks, extending from the railroad wharf down the west shore tot he smelter; the head of the bay, extending from the ocean wharf one mile south of Twenty-third Street; and the new and proposed ocean docks on the tide flats.

The commencement Bay Co. is now building a wharf one mile long in the latter section, at the cost of $100,000. The Hart Mill now under contract and the St. Paul Mill built last spring, and the Wheeler Sash and Door Factory recently completed, are also in this section. A bridge costing $100,000 will be built over the channel to this section this year.

Along the west side of the channel to the head of the bay from Fifteenth to Twenty-third Streets has been built nearly half a mile of wharves, warehouses and factories.

The balance of the improvements have been made by and N. P. R. R. Co. which appropriated for this year's improvements $1,000,000; $750,000 will be spent this year. An appropriation of $500,000 will be made next year to build machine and car shops.

Last year 11 miles of track were laid in the yard, extending from the smelter to the Reservation. This year 10 miles will be laid, 4 in the half moon, 4 at the head of the Bay, and 2 miles private sidings. The bluff along Pacific Avenue leading to the old docks has been cut down, and the dirt filled in the half moon by hydraulic works, making about 8 acres additional yard room, and 3,000 feet of dock front. The work on the Avenue will make a 100 foot street of a 20 foot road. Beyond the ocean dock the new coal bunkers, with room for two ships to load, were built this season, and further down the N. P. elevator, the Kershaw wheat house, the mill of the Puget Mill co., and the end of the track the Ryan smelter.

At the head of the bay the greater work has been done; 120 acres of tide flats have been filled in by the great rotary dredger, from earth taken from the channel to the head of the bay, making a channel 35 feet deep and 600 feet wide. A hill of about 40 acres in extent, averaging 20 or 30 feet high, has been dug away, and the earth used in filling the flats, by two steam shovels, the factories, stores, and dwellings located on the tract being moved out upon skidways and then lowered to the new level.

This tract will be the main yard of the N. P. R. R.; five miles of track have already been laid and a freight house built, costing $22,000; and next year the engine and car shops will be built, costing $500,000.




You are the 5005th Visitor to this USGenNet Website Since September 6, 2004

Html by Debbie Axtman

[Index][WA AHGP][Mardos Memorial Library]