Obit: Russell, Mark H. Jr. (1924 - 1955)
Contact: Debra Foreman
Surnames: RUSSELL DOTY
----Source: Wis. Department Natural Resources Internet Site
Russell, Mark H. Jr. (15 NOV 1924 - 21 MAY 1955)
Mark H. Russell, Jr., a conservation warden, drowned in a boating accident at age 30 while checking fishermen for licenses in Pike Lake, Chippewa Co., near Cadott. The incident occurred on May 21, 1955 when Russell, conservation warden at Neillsville, Clark County, Wis., and Warden James Boruski of Stanley, started their boat's motor to move from one group of fishermen to another. The motor started with a jot and lurched at an angle, throwing both wardens from the boat. Nearby fishermen pulled Boruski from the water, but Russell quickly sank and was in the water several hours before adequate equipment was found to retrieve the body. Examination of his body revealed that the impact had been severe enough to dislocate his right arm from the shoulder joint, and perhaps also stunned him, explaining why he was unable to save himself.
Russell was born on Nov 15, 1924 at Humbird, Clark County, Wis. While a young boy, his family moved to Chippewa Falls, where he graduated from high school. He worked on the family farm for a few years, married Doris Doty in 1946, and became a conservation warden in 1950. He served at Black River Falls before transferring to Neillsville later in 1950. His funeral was held at Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church, Neillsville, with burial in Forest Hill Cemetery at Chippewa Falls. He was survived by his wife, his mother and a sister.
Later in 1955, Clark County and Jackson County established a joint Russell Memorial Park on Lake Arbutus. On the grounds is a stone marker with a plaque in his honor. His name is engraved on the Wis. Law Enforcement Memorial on the State Capitol grounds in Madison.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs