Obit: Green, George (1844 - 1926)

Contact: Stan

Surnames: GREEN TAYLOR SCHWEIGER GARVIN RANDALES DIEKOW

----Source: LOYAL TRIBUNE (Loyal, Clark County, Wis.) 03/25/1926

Green, George (20 JAN 1844 - 11 MAR 1926)

George Green, an esteemed resident of the village of Loyal, Clark County, Wis., who has passed about sixty years of his life in this locality, was born in Hampshire, England, Jan. 20, 1844.

His parents, James and Martha Green were dairy farmers who died in their native land, and who had 4 children: Ellen, George, Anna and Elizabeth. George was the only member of the family to come to the U. S.

In 1862 he landed in Canada, where he worked on a farm and remained until 1865, when he came to Wisconsin, locating at Iron Ridge, Dodge Co. There he found employment in a sawmill, but came the following spring to Clark County, Wis. and settled in Loyal, which however, at that time contained only one log house, owned by A. A. Graves. Mr. Green went to work at once chopping timber and clearing land and that fall go a tract of 160 acres of his own, all wild land, located in Section 34, two and a half miles south of Loyal. On this he built a log house, 14 by 20 feet, containing one room, in which he lived a bachelor's existence. He had practically nothing but his hands with which to begin the work of improving his farm, and was obliged to walk to Neillsville and back for supplies, carrying flour home on his back, an experience common to many of the pioneer farmers in this region. It was not until 1870 that he got his first team, previous to that exchanging work with his neighbors, another early custom

On March 19, 1871, he was united in marriage with Mary E. Taylor, and they began housekeeping in the log dwelling.

After clearing up part of his farm, Mr. Green sold it and went West, remaining several summers. He then resumed his residence in Loyal, finding employment in Grave's sawmill and also clerking for awhile.

He served as post master of the village during President Harrison's administration, which office he retained until Dec. 1913. He then became Assistant Post Master, which position he held at the time of his death, which occurred at the Marshfield Hospital on March 11, 1926.

His son, James, and daughter, Ettie Schweiger of Loyal, preceded him in death.

He leaves to mourn his loss, his wife and three daughters: Mrs. S. H. Garvin of Edgemere, Idaho, Mrs. L. J. Randles of Marshfield and Mrs. Richard C. Diekow of Beloit, Wis.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church on Monday, March 15 with Rev. Wilson Mallory of Granton officiating. Interment was made in the Loyal Cemetery.

The Tribune joins with his many friends in extending their sympathy.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE