Family, William G.
Surnames: LINDOW DRESCHER
----Source: Town of Fremont History - 1973
Lindow Family, William G.
William G. Lindow was born Jan. 7, 1893, the youngest child of Gustav and Rosina Lindow, whose history is on P. 326 of the Clark County History of 1918 (also covered in another biography on this website). He still resides on the farm purchased by his parents as virgin land from a lumbering company, and in the house built by his parents in 1899.
William received his eight grade diploma from Pine Circle School, which first stood one-half mile north of Highway 10 on county Trunk Y. It was moved to its present location in 1906 by men using rollers, plank, block and line, a stump puller, and one horse.
In 1912 a tornado destroyed the farm's 36' x 92' log barn. From the logs and lumber the Lindows added a 36' addition to their frame barn. In 1916 they built an 18' x 30' granary.
On June 5, 1918 William married Mary Anna Drescher, daughter of Bernhard and Emma Drescher, Town of Lynn, Clark County. The Dreschers lived in Chili prior to his death in 1936 and hers in 1939. It was in 1918 also that William bought his first deer hunting license. He hasn't missed a season since, also enjoys game fishing.
1919 - Changed from kerosene light to electric and from horse power to tractor.
1920 - William bought the farm from his father on land contract. On March 23 of that year a son, Franklin W. was born, who died in infancy.
1921 - On April 15 a son, Marlyn S. Lindow, was born. He now resides with his family in the former Pine Circle school house, which he and his father remodeled in 1960.
1922 - William was elected secretary-treasurer of the Chili Co-op Dairy Co. He held this job for 14 years at the modest salary of $15 a month.
1924 - The Lindows received a wonderful Christmas present -- a daughter, Elvira M., was born Dec. 25.
1925 - Immanuel Evangelical (now United Methodist) Church of Chili was dedicated. The Lindows are glad to have had a part in this happy event. In 1928 when the trustees of the congregation had an auction to sell their old building one-fourth mile west of Lindow's farm, William bought it. He took it apart and re-assembled it on his farm where it has served as shelter for tractor, car and school bus, and as a workshop. It is the last main building added to the farm. William's parents moved to Chili in 1928, having lived on the farm for 48 years, Gustav passed away in 1931.
1934 - A hard dry year, wells went dry, nothing could grow. Milk cows hauled 100 mile norht where pasture land was rented.
1936 - Running water was installed in the house.
1937 - William bought and drove the first school bus from Chili area to Marshfield. This was an experiment that lasted for 27 years.
1938 - First furnace (coal and wood) installed.
1942 - Son Marlyn entered the armed services to serve his county in World War II. At this time William sold his dairy herd. Marlyn returned from service, having served in the Pacific, on Dec. 24, 1945.
1946 - Daughter Elvira married Rudy Horn; they now reside in Stevens Point. In the fall of 1946 Mr. Gustav Lindow died.
1947 - The Lindow's first grandchild, Gregory C. Horn, was born on Nov. 24.
1948 - Son Marlyn married Mary L. Hutchins, Edgar, Wis. Their first child was born Aug. 6, 1949, named Sandra.
1949 - William bought five Hereford heifers for a start in raising beef cattle. In '51 and again in '52 these five each had five heifer calves, so a new business had begun. He presently has a herd of 19.
1951 - Second grandson, Jeffrey W. Lindow, born to the Marlyn Lindows.
1957 - Four neighbors, Edward Ott, David Gallagher, Harry Portz and W. G. Lindow, formed a company and bought a self-propelled combine. After 16 years of harvesting grain for the owners and others, it can be termed a successful venture.
1958 - Second granddaughter born, Susan M. Lindow.
1962 - William had the only serious illness of his adult life; spent 12 days in hospital, much of summer in a lawn chair.
1964 - William retired from school bus driving. In the same year an oil pipeline was put across the farm.
Finding the raising of Herefords less confining than dairying, the Lindows have enjoyed several lengthy trips since 1952 -- to Niagara Falls, To Calgary, Ontario and Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Black Hills, New Orleans, and again west to Washington and Oregon. More recently they attended their grandson Greg's wedding to Ann Heinze, Fort Thomas, Kentucky, on Jan. 29, 1972.
1968 - William G. and Mary celebrated their golden wedding. They did some remodeling of the farm house adding a fireplace and a new picture window to the dining area of the enlarged kitchen.
1973 - This is the 93rd years that the farm has been in the Lindow family. The Lindows continue to live on and enjoy their land, active in their church and community.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs