Bio: Jahr Family,
Surnames: JAHR WILKE SILVERNAIL
----Source: Town of Fremont History - 1973
Jahr Family, Marvin
Frank Jahr purchased his farm from the Davis and Starr Lumber co. on Feb. 17, 1900 (recorded April 11, 1900).
Frank Jahr, at the age of 22, started out with an axe as his only implement. He left the railroad stop and walked to his newly purchased land. The first home he built upon his arrival was a hole filled with pine branches and covered tent fashion with more branches. Next he started digging a well. In the meantime, he was drinking water from a creek that runs through the farm. He contracted typhoid fever and lay near death when his brother Oscar came to see him. He spent the next year helping his brother Oscar settle his farm, still too weak to start on his own. After Oscar's farm buildings were up, he again started on his own, fist raising a barn to shelter a cow he had purchased for $100 and a horse, a gift from his father. Frank was a stone mason and built many of the foundations for the buildings in this are (Chili, Clark County, Wis.). Franklin School was named for him. He served on the school board for many years. When the school was finally consolidated with Cozy Corner, his son, Marvin, was Clerk of the school board. Frank was married to Elsie Wilke in 1907. They raised a family of five sons, Linton, Victor, Everett, Marvin and Franklin.
Frank's son Marvin purchased the farm in 1945. He has added one large machine shed to the eleven original buildings. Marvin was married to Frances Silvernail on May 19, 1945. They raised four children, David, Audrey, Wayne, and Anita.
This farm has produced milk for cheese making, beef, pork, maple syrup, and some lumber for sale. They also raised chickens and sold eggs for many years. Their typical garden for this area produces rhubarb, asparagus, berries, grapes, and vegetables for the family.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs