Surnames: GREENE CREGO GROBE HUENERGARDT OSHMAN
----Source: Town of Fremont History - 1973
Greene Family, Forrest
Pearl Crego Greene, wife of Forrest E. Greene, who came to the Town of Fremont, Clark County, Wis. from the Marengo, Ill. area in 1918, was born and has lived her entire life in the Town of Freemont.
Her father, William H. Crego came to chili in the latter part of the 1800's from Oshkosh, Wis. and bought the northeast quarter of Section twenty-six from Necedah Lumber Co. He cleared some land and built the house now owned and occupied by Edwin (Butch) Meissner.
Her mother, the former Amelia Grobe, came to the Town of Fremont with her parents, Emil and Caroline Oshman Grobe, in 1883 from Germany.
One son, Robert, was born to Forrest and Pearl Green. While he was stationed in Fort Hays, Kansas, in World War II he became acquainted with, and later married, Bette Huenergardt of Bison, Kansas. They have two sons, David and Paul, and have been living and teaching in Des Moines, Iowa, since 1949.
District Number Two, Town of Fremont, located one-half mile south and one and one-half miles east of Chili, was where Mrs. Greene went to school for her first seven years. A new school was built one-half mile south and one mile east of Chili in 1915 and named Forest Side School. Its use was discontinued when the present consolidated East Fremont School was built. She continued her education in Milwaukee West Side High, Neillsville High, River Falls and Stevens Point State Teachers College, where she earned her Bachelors Degree in education.
After 36 years of teaching she retired in 1966. Seventeen years were in the Town of Fremont, two in Pine Valley, nine in the Town of Lynn, and eight in the Nasonville area of Wood County. She was the first principal of the new Nasonville School.
Mrs. Green still lives in the home she and her husband moved to in 1927, and which is located just east of Chili. Mr. Greene passed away in 1967. He was treasurer of the Town of Fremont for nearly 30 years.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs