McHone Family Surnames: MCHONE POPP STALEY SCHLINSOG DRAKE GERLACH DOWNER MURPHY WINSTEAD DAVIS GRIMM
----Source: Town of Fremont History - 1973
Three miles north of Lynn, Clark County, Wis., where the old Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul R.R. crosses a town road, was the crossing known as Harris Spur. Here, alongside the railroad tracks, the McHone family ran a sawmill in Section 19, town of Fremont, Clark County, for many years (1909 - 1937). The railroad ran northwest for several miles to the John Kintzele farm (now the Marcia Crothers farm), where there was a turn-around. When the railroad was built in 1891, a small stockyard was built on the east side of the Kintzele crossing, and the spot was named Romadka for the Romadka brothers., who ran a sawmill and spoke factory there.
The railroad's main service was in hauling the logs and cordwood cut in the area as the land was taken up and cleared for farming. Just a quarter of a mile northwest of Harris Spur was Johnstown's Landing where cordwood sold to Nast Bros. was ranked. John Kintzele scaled the wood in his yard for the Nast Bros. lime kilns in Eden, Marblehead, and Knowles. The cordwood delivered to the Harris Spur wood yard was scaled by Albert Rueth and shipped to Temp
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs