BioM: Mercer, Esther (1939)
Surnames: Mercer, Handke, Oates, Manley, Wherett
----Source: Personal news article collection of Millie Lee
Esther MERCER Becomes Bride in Fall Nuptials Weds Walter HANDKE, Linden, at High Noon Today
Autmn leaves and flowers, entwined ina n archway, formed a seasonal setting for the fall wedding of Miss Esther MERCER, Marshfield, and Walter HANDKE, Linden, son of Fred HANDKE, Wild Rose, which took place at high noon today at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. James R. MERCER, E. Fourth street.
The Rev. Arthur R. OATES, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, read the nuptial service in the presence of immediate relatives and friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Carl HANDKE, Wild Rose, brother and sister-in-law of the bridegroom, were the couple's only attendants.
A street dress of brown romaine crepe was worn by the bride, who completed her ensemble with brown accessories and a shoulder corsage. Mrs. HANDKE was dressed in blue wool crepe and wore a shoulder corsage.
A wedding dinner was served after the ceremony. Among the guests from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Durward MANLEY and children, Wisconsin Rapids; Mr. and Mrs. Gordon WHERETT, Fred HANDKE, and Mr. and Mrs. Carl HANDKE, Wild Rose.
Mr. HANDKE and his bride have planned a wedding trip to the southern part of the State. On their return they will reside at Linden, where the bridegroom is a commerce teacher in the high school.
The bride, a graduate of McKinley High School with the class of 1930, was also graduated from the Central State Teachers College, and for the past three years has taught home economics. Her last teaching position was at Hixton, WI.
The bridegroom was graduated from the Granton High School and from Whitewater State Teachers College. He also took post graduate work at the University of Iowa.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs