BioM: Hughes, Gertrude (May 1940)
Surnames: Hughes, Bartz, Laesch, Vine,Thiel, Happe, Short
----Source: Personal news article collection of Millie Lee
A pretty wedding was solemnized at the farm home of Mrs. Bertha BARTZ, town of York, when the second of her six daughters, Miss Gertrude, was united in marriage to Donald HUGHES, only son of Mr. and Mrs. James HUGHES of the town of Grant.
The wedding took place at 4 p.m., Rev. Arthur LAESCH, pastor of the Mapleworks Lutheran church, officiating at a double-ring ceremony. Miss Irene BARTZ, a cousin of the bride, played Lohengren's wedding march.
The bride wore a dark blue suit dress with white accessories. Her sister, Miss LeNore, as bridesmaid, was similarly gowned. Their corsages combined tea roses and swainsonia. Mrs. BARTZ and Mrs. HUGHES, the mothers of the bride and groom, wore navy blue crepe dresses and pink carnations. The groom was attended by Theomore VINE.
Dinner was served in the spacious sun parlor of the BARTZ home to eighty guests, including Mr. and Mrs. H. R. THIEL of Thorp with whom the bride stayed while she taught school in the town of Reseburg. The decorative scheme was carried out in blue and white garden flowers. An immense three-tier wedding cake baked and decorated by the bride's sister, Mrs. Irma WEST, was the outstanding feature of the dinner. Misses Rowene HAPPE, Neva BARTZ, Marjorie and Dorothy VINE and Jeannette SHORT were the table waitresses.
A shower and reception were given for the couple at the Granton hall that evening, when Mr. and Mrs. HUGHES were presented with many beautiful gifts.
The bride was graduated from the Granton high school and the training department of Neillsville high school, later completing her education for the teaching profession at Central State Teachers college, Stevens Point. She is one of the group of five Bartz sisters who taught in the schools of Clark County during the psat year.
Mr. HUGHES is a graduate of the Neillsville high school. He has been a dependable assistant on the HUGHES farm since boyhood and he will not leave his parents now without the aid which he has so faithfully rendered in the past, for upon their return from a honeymoon trip to Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and Dakota, the couple will be at home on the HUGHES farm.
Stevens Point , Wisconsin Central State Teachers' College
In 1927 Stevens Point Normal School became Central State Teachers College and began offering four-year teaching degrees. When post-World War II enrollment became less centered on teacher training and more focused on liberal arts education, the Wisconsin State Legislature intervened, elevating the school to a Wisconsin State College with the authority to grant bachelor's degrees in liberal arts.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs