Obit: Gilman, William (1850 - 1931)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Gilman, Hesler, Pool, Barrager, Graves, Carter, Ketel, Rowe, Longenecker, Johnson, Neverman, Toptine, Weaver, Gallagher, Huckstead, Clark, Crandall, Reinhart, McCorrison, Philpott, Monk, Roseberry, Zies
----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 24 Dec. 1931
Gilman, William (26 May 1850 - 15 Dec. 1931)
A long, busy and useful life was closed on Tuesday, Dec. 15, 1931, when William Gilman passed away at the home of his sister in Fond du Lac. He had reached the age of 81 years, 6 months and 19 days, having been born may 26, 1850, at Greenbush, Wis. He was educated in the common schools of Sheboygan county, and at the private school of Miss Pool in Fond du Lac. For a number of years previous to his marriage he taught in the public schools of Sheboygan county.
On Jan. 24, 1871, he was married to Mary E. Hesler, at Greenbush, Wis. Shortly after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Gilamn in company with his brother-in-law and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Barrager, drove from Greenbush with an ox team to Ashton, Iowa, where they each took up a homestead. Three years later they abandoned farming on account of the destruction of their crops by grasshoppers, and Mr. Gilman then taught school at Osceola, Iowa, for two years, then returned to Wisconsin.
Shortly after returning to Wisconsin he secured employment with the Payne Lumber Co., at Merrillan, later entering the employment of the Carter Lumber Co. at Humbird. At the close of their lumber operations he went to Lyons, Iowa, and *(some cut off )* was employed by the Joyce Lumber Co., remaining with them until 1888 when he returned to Wisconsin and was employed as foreman of the yard department of the Neillsville Furniture Factory until the close of their operations. He then went to Brule where he was secretary and treasurer of the Brule Lumber Co. for several years. He then went to Loyal where he was employed by the A. A. Graves Lumber Co., late buying out the Graves’ interest of the retail lumber department and continuing until he sold out to the O. & N. Lumber Co., then taking a position with them as bookkeeper in the office at Neillsville which position he held until a year ago.
During his farming career he and Mr. Carter were the pioneers in the raising of blooded stock. Mr. Gilman was the only surviving charter member of Camp No. 1 of the M. W. A. having helped organized that camp in Lyons, Iowa. He was a member of the I.O. O. F lodge at Merrillan 51 years, receiving his 50 year jewel about a year ago.
Mr. Gilman had a rare talent for forming friendships in al his personal and business relations, but had definite principles of right and justice for which he stood firmly. All who came in contact with him felt that he was a gentleman and recognized his fine qualities.
Mrs. Gilman passed away nice years ago last April. A peculiar coincidence was the fact that his father passed away exactly 32 years previous to Mr. Gilman’s death.
He is survived by one son Judge Chas. H. Gilman of Friendship; one daughter, Edna, Mrs. J. E. Ketel of Ladysmith, a granddaughter Miss Mary Ketel and a grandson Robert Gilman. He leaves also a sister, Mrs. J. S. Rowe of Fond du Lac, one brother Giles Gilman, Greenbush, Wis.
The funeral was held at Schiller’s Funeral Home Dec. 18, Rev. G. W. Longenecker officiating. The pall bearers were Frank Johnson, Jule Neverman, N. F. Toptine, Morris Weaver, David Gallagher and h. O. Huckstead.
Those from away who attended the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Ketel and daughter Mary of Ladysmith, Judge and Mrs. Chas. Gilman and son Robert of Friendship; Mr. and Mrs. John Rowe of Fond du Lac; Mr. Fred Gilman, Glenbeulah; Mr. Hal Clark, Weyauwega; Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Crandall and Mr. Reinhart of Antigo; Mr. and Mrs. J. L. McCorrison, Marshfield; Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Philpott, Loyal; Attorney R. W. Monk, Wausau; Mr. Robert Roseberry of Friendship; Dr. A. G. Zies of Adams; and a large delegation of members I.O.O. F. of Merrillan.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs