Obit: Riedel, Fred (1854 - 1932)
Surnames: Riedel, Richards, Finnegan, Freverth, Klopf
----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 21 July 1932
Riedel, Fred (1854* - 1932) * Could be off
A message from Hawthorne, Cal., Monday received by Mrs. Chester Finnegan of Granton, announced the death of her father that morning at Hawthorne. Mr. Riedel was 78 years of age. He lived for many years in the town of Grant, moving to California about 10 years ago. He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Finnegan of Granton and Mrs. Laura Richards of Oshkosh. Burial of Mr. Riedel took place at Hawthorne.
----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 11 Aug. 1932
FRED D. RIEDEL
Fred D. Riedel was born in Schasing, Germany, August 14th, 1854, the son of Christian and Anna Riedel.
The father, Christian Riedel, and his family, his children consisting of four sons, came to the United States of America in 1863 and located on a tract of land in the vicinity of Chicago, which is now within the city limits.
This eighty acre tract was offered free for five years to any one who would fence it.
The original intention was to locate in Wisconsin, but he remained in Chicago until 1873 when he moved with his family to Clark County, Wisconsin, where he subsequently died.
Of his children, Robert, in 1873, settled on a farm in Grant township, Clark County, and operated it for 33 years dying in 1906.
Another son, August, came to Neillsville, Wisconsin, in 1871 and worked 20 years in a grist mill. He also bought a farm in the same township. He has since passed on.
Daniel, another son, conducted a carpenter shop in Neillsville, and worked on the construction of many prominent public buildings. He passed on in the year 1882.
Fred D. Riedel was 9 years old when he came with his parents to the United States, and was 19 years of age when he settled in Neillsville, Clark County, Wisconsin.
He worked four years in the grist mill and then engaged in the carpenter trade.
In 1878, he purchased the home farm, the land of which was cut but not stumped, but there was a log house and barn on the place.
To the original 40 acres, he added 80 more five years later. In those five years he had the land all cleared and was engaged in raising cattle and sheep; with oats as his principal crop.
On May 9, 1882, he married Margaret Klopf, who was born in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, April 1st, 1861, daughter of John and Louise (Freverth) Klopf.
Fred D. Riedel’s career since then has been one of industry and perseverance, followed by success, and according to the historical sketch of Clark county, was together with his family, among the most respected residents of Grant township.
He served as Assessor for 17 years and was chairman of the Township Board of Supervisors for several years, and for 40 years, he served as school Director, having a splendid record for faithful public service.
He and his wife are the parents of two children: Laura (now Mrs. Geo. Richards), who teachs in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and Lena, (now Mrs. Chester Finnegan), who lives in Granton, Wisconsin.
Mr and Mrs. Finnegan and their two sons have recently been visiting the parents, but returned to their home when the sad news reached them of the home going of the father.
Mr. Riedel came to California in 1920 and has been a resident of Hawthorne most of the intervening years.
He has helped to build our city as he has erected several houses.
Mr and Mrs. Riedel has been members of our church at Hawthorne Community, for some time and have always been faithful in attendance upon the means of grace, and we shall all miss him but with a joyous anticipation of the meeting again.
He left this life Sunday afternoon at 4:30 o’clock, July 17th, 1932, for a "Building not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens."
There is left, the dear wife, and the daughters, also the two grandsons, Howard and Donald Finnegan.
"He Giveth His Beloved Sleep."
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs