BioM: Hill, Mary Agnes (1932)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Hill, Crosby, Coleman, Smith, Rush, Grundy, Vinter, Richardson, Brody, Williamson, Durand, Elsall, Raymond, Barney, Peral, Kemp, Linley, Hurtgen, Collins, Fox, Murchie, Welch, McCabe, Wheeler, Burke, Holley, Burnham
----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 29 Sept. 1932
Hill, Mary Agnes (Marriage - 25 Sept. 1932)
The wedding of Mary Agnes Hill and Frederic William Crosby took place in St. John's Episcopal church at Sparta Saturday morning, Sept. 25, at 11 o'clock. The little English Gothic church made a lovely setting for the ceremony, with simple decorations of yellow gladioli and greenery against dark wood of the chancel, Mrs. Russell Coleman, organist, played Wagner's Wedding March from "Lohengrin" as the bride entered on the arm of her father. She wore an ivory satin gown with fitted lines, a soft cowl neckline and tiny sleeves bordered with heirloom lace from her mother's wedding dress. The same lace formed the close-fitting cap of her veil which was caught at each side with a small cluster of orange blossoms. She wore ivory kid gloves and ivory sandals and carried a bouquet of orchids and lilies of the valley.
The bride was attended by her sisters, Elizabeth Tyler Hill, maid of honor, in yellow chiffon, and Margaret Johnston Hill in green chiffon. Both the bride's attendants wore tiny chiffon turbans with tulle veils the color of their gowns, and both wore white lace mitts and carried colonial bouquets.
At the chancel rail the bride was met by the bridegroom and his best man, Dr. Eugene Smith of La Crosse. Robert Rush of Neillsville completed the wedding party. The Rev. Lee Grundy of St. John's and the Rev. Robert D. Vinter of Christ Church, La Crosse, performed the ceremony. The processional was Mendelssohn's Wedding March.
Immediately following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Tyler Hill who, together with the bride and bridegroom and Judge and Mrs. Crosby, parents of the bridegroom, received their guests at one end of the long living room which was decorated with flowers. After the reception the wedding breakfast was served. The paneled dinging room was beautiful with yellow roses and the soft of candles.
About one hundred guests were present. Among those from out of town were: Miss Mary L. Richardson, aunt of the bride, from Northampton, Mass.; Judge and Mrs. Emery Crosby, Senator and Mrs. Rush, Robert Rush, Neillsville; Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Brody, La Crosse; Mr. and Mrs. L. Williamson, Louis Williamson, Mineral Point; Mr. and Mrs. Loyal Durand, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. James K. Elsall, Wauwatosa; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence B. Raymond; Mrs. Anna Barney, Wisconsin Dells; Mrs. Mary Pearl, Seattle, Wash.; Mrs. Marian Kemp, Watertown, N. Y.; Victor Linley, Viroqua. Others from La Crosse were: Mr. and Mrs. William Hurtgen, Miss Ada Collins, Ben Fox, Tom Murchis, Dr. Sylvester Welch, Millard McCabe, Dr. Donald Wheeler, George Burke, Newell Holley.
After a brief honeymoon Mr. and Mrs. Crosby will live in La Crosse where they will be at home after November 1 at 317 South Seventh street.
The bride was graduated from Sparta High School for Girls, Northampton, Mass., and for three years was a member of the class of 1933, Smith College. Mr. Crosby was graduate from St. John's Military Academy, from the University of Wisconsin and from the University of Wisconsin law School, 1930. He is a member of Phi Delta Phi fraternity. He is a junior member of the firm of Brody & Crosby, La Crosse attorneys.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs