History: Greenwood Electric Lighting (1906)
Contact: Arlene Peil
----Sources: Greenwood Gleaner, Greenwood, Wis., 26 Jul 1906
STREET LIGHTS ON
Beginning Sunday Evening and Give Good Lights
Formal Test to be Made This Week if Possible And Plant Turned Over to the City Authorities
The lights from the new electric light plant were turned on Sunday evening for the first time to run for about three hours. Only the street lights were used. It was an attraction and the streets had the appearance more of some festival day than a day of rest. The lamps on the side streets gave good light while the arcs did not get to burning so well, which is owing to their being new and not properly adjusted to the voltage, etc. The latter part of the week it is expected that the plant will be in shape to formally turn over to the city.
So far as we have learned, nothing definite is being done to celebrate this important event. The suggestion of a barbecue made a few weeks ago, seems to be pleasing but no one seems willing to take the lead in doing anything further. We have an Advancement Association and no doubt if enough business men would assure President Masters of their co-operation in holding such an event, he would be pleased to call a meeting to consider the matter.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs