History: Clark County, Register of Deeds (1906)
Contact: Arlene Peil
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner, Greenwood, Wis., 1 Feb 1906
Some Interesting Gleanings.
We recently received some interesting data from Register of Deeds Oscar Fricke, some of which may recall pioneer memories.
The first deed placed on record in the register of deeds' office for this county was from Wm. E. Cramer of Milwaukee to Lorenzo D. Eastman of Racine, being lands situated in the towns of Weston and Pine Valley. This was recorded Jan. 6, 1855.
The first mortgage recorded was from W. J. Gibson to the state of Wisconsin and was dated Mar. 6, 1856. It was given to secure the sum of $500. The land is now owned by the heirs of W. J. Goddard and by S. M. Marsh.
The first entry of land in the county was made by Samuel V. Ferguson on the 4th day of August, 1851, one and nearly opposite the James Hewett place in Neillsville.
The first land sold for non-payment of taxes took place Sept. 12, 1855. S. F. Weston was the buyer.
Mr. Fricke's office shows that in 1905 there were 434 births in the county as compared 459 the year before. There were 189 marriages in 1905 and 182 the year before. The number of deaths reported the last year were 195 and 170 for 1904.
In 1904 there were recorded in the register's office 3656 instruments on which the recording fees amounted to $2,619.51. In 1905 there were 3590 instruments recorded, the fees amounting to $2,904.65.
In the county clerk's office there were 188 marriage certificates issued, while for 1905 195 were issued. There were 1817 hunting licenses issued in 1904 and 1671 in 1905.
The bounty paid for wild animals in 1905 was $1,674 against $1,171 for 1904.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs