BioA: Stephens, Mr./Mrs. Silas T. (Gold - 1903)
Surnames: STEPHENS TIMMERMAN GREEN CALL MONTGOMERY NICHOLAS
----Sources: DORCHESTER REPORTER (Dorchester, Clark Co, WI) 08/07/1903
Stephens, Mr./Mrs. Silas T. (Gold - 31 JUL 1903)
Mr. and Mrs. Silas T. Stephens celebrated their golden wedding July 31, 1903, at their Pine Grove farm three miles west of the village (Dorchester, Clark County, Wis.). The house was prettily decorated in green and gold and many beautiful flowers among which were golden rod, pansies and sweet peas.
About forty-six guests were present and many beautiful presents were received, Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Blaisdell of Spencer were among the guests. An elegant feast was spread under the bowery erected at the east side of the house.
They were one of the pioneer families of Clark County, having moved here in the fall of 1873. He homesteaded 160 acres of woodland which he cleared and made them a home. They now have a very pleasant place and many lovely shade trees. At the time they came here their nearest neighbor was two miles away and the nearest railroad station ten miles distant. Mr. Stephens was a soldier in the Civil War for nearly three years. He belonged to Co. H., 32 Wis. Volunteer Infantry. Silas Stephens and Melissa Timmerman were married July 31, 1853.
They had, to bless their union, five children, four girls and one boy. One daughter, Lydia M., died when six years of age. Wm. S., of this place, Mrs. Ella M. Green of Ralph, Mrs. Emma J. Call of Wautoma, and Mrs. Josephine Montgomery of West lake, La., still survive. Two children and five grandchildren were present at the wedding. Their many friends wish them many more years of happy wedded life.
(In addition to the above we give the following brief sketch of history)
Silas T. Stephens, of section 8, Mayville Township, was born in Schoharie Co., N.Y., March 8, 1831, the son of Perry C. and Betsey (Nicholas) Stephens, both natives of New York. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, under Captaine, and was at the battle of Plattsburg, N.Y. The parents had ten children, seven of whom survive: Betsy A., Mercy, Silas, Phoebe, Lydia, Louis and Martha. Their two eldest were burned to death when their house was destroyed by fire, and the other, a grown daughter, died after marriage, leaving a family of four children.
Silas T. was reared to farm life, and educated in the commons school. In 1852 he came to Wisconsin, settling in the wood in Fond du Lac County, where he was surrounded by wild animals and Indians, and where he also cleared a farm. He was a soldier in the late war, in Co. H., Thirty-Second Wis. Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly three years, participating in the battles of Salt Hatch’s Swamp, siege of Atlanta, North Edisto River, Bentonville and others. After the war Mr. Stephens returned to Fond du Lac, where he worked flouring mill three years, and then engaged in farming until 1873. In that year he came to this county, bringing his family all the way in an ox wagon. He homesteaded 160 acres, his present farm, and in a heavy woods, his nearest neighbor being two miles distant, and the nearest post office was Colby, ten miles distant. At that time there were no roads, and he carried his flour and groceries on his back. He now owns 120 acres, twenty-two of which are cleared. The first five or six years here he worked in the woods in the winters, and during the summer cleared and worked on his farm.
Mr. Stephens was married July 31st, 1853, to Melissa Timmerman, a daughter of Benjamin and Lany (Scott) Timmerman, both deceased. The parents had eleven children, five now living, namely: Alfred, Diantha, Amelia, Chancey, Melissa. The mother had two children by a former marriage, only one of whom survives. Henry Barnett. Mr. Stephens has served several years as a clerk of the School Board. Socially he is a member of the G. A. R. post, and politically a Republican.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs