Obit: Humke, Henry S. (1855 - 1935)
Contact: Allan Wessel
Surnames: HUMKE, KIPPENHAN, DECKER, STEIGER, SCHWARZE, ROSSMAN
----Source: Arvilla (Franz) Wessel Collection
Obituary of Henry S. Humke
Henry S. Humke was born at Franklin, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, April 27, 1855 and recieved his education in the common schools of that community. At the age of 18 years he came to Clark County working in the Pineries in the winter and returning to Sheboygan County in the spring. In 1874, he, together with several other young men from Sheboygan County, founded the West Side Reformed Church and built the first church, a log structure. In 1877 he procured the land and began clearing the farm on which he has lived ever since, steadfastly refusing to retire and move to town. In 1879 he built a hewed log house and in November of the same year he was married to Miss Anna Kippenhan of Kohlsville, Washington County, Wisconsin and immediately moved to his farm.
Mr. Humke served his Township as Supervisor, Chairman and Treasurer. At the time the Town of Warner consisted of the territory now comprising the Towns of Warner, Mead and Butler.
In 1910 when the present church and parsonage were built Mr. Humke was an Elder of the church and also a member of the building committee. He was called to his final reward June 12th at 7:30 A.M.
Mr. Humke leaves to mourn his loss his wife, three sons Theodore, Arthur, and George, four daughters Meta (Mrs. Fred Decker) Ella, (Mrs. Ed. Schwarze), Alma (Mrs. Wm. Steiger) all of Greenwood, Wis., Lena (Mrs. Paul R. Rossman, Lewiston, Idaho. Twenty-eight grandhildren. One son Edward preceded him in death in 1916 at the age of 19 years.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, June 16th at 2:00 o'clock from the West Side Reformed church. Interment was made in the church cemetery, Rev. P.H. Franzmeier local pastor officiating.
Pall bearers were six grandsons George, Herbert and Harold Humke, Theodore and Walter Schwarze and Elmer Stieger.
Among those from away who attended the funeral were Atty. and Mrs. Herb S. Humke, Sheboygan, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Humke and Dr. Ed Humke Sturgeon Bay, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Arpke, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Arpke and Miss Bertha Sieker, Franklin, Wis, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stork, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Bartell and John Kippenhan Sr., Hilda and Roland Kippenhan of Appleton, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. Francis Schweinler, Mosinee, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Werneke, Mr. and Frs. Fred Reineking, Plymouth , Wis., and Anthony Wenzel, Neillsville, WIs.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs