Neillsville, Wisconsin - Library
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
----Source #1: History Room at Black River Falls Library. (Black River Falls, Wisconsin)
----Source #2: This from a portion of "City of Neillsville In the Heart of the Black River Country" Compiled & Published by Neillsville Centennial Committee, Franklin Hrasky - Printer 1982. (Also shown on the front page is 1881-1982 100 year Centennial Neillsville, written on what looks like a water tower)
Neillsville Library Association was organized Sept. 23, 1879, by the election of H.W. Deming, President; Ira B Jones, Treasurer, and L.B.Ring, librarian and secretary, with H.N.Withee, C. Blakeslee and Mrs. A. White, trustees. The library was established in the office of the True Republican. March 13, 1897, the citizens of the city voted to establish a public library and reading room. The library was maintained at the High School until 1914, when the present Carnegie Library was erected. The preliminary steps toward the building of the library were taken in 1913. Nov. 14, 1913, the city council received a communication through Mrs. J.W. Hommell, stating that the Carnegie Corporation would contribute $10,000 toward a library building at Neillsville, providing that the city council would appropriate $1,000 a year for its maintenance. The conditions were duly complied with, and after a consideration of various localities, the present site was selected, being paid for by a tag day contribution of $417.13, and a subscription from various prominent citizens. The building is a sightly one, and the institution is well conducted.
An early post card of the library (below) was contributed by Virgina Elmhorst.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs