Obit: Landry, John B. (1849 - 1931)
Surnames: LANDRY OESAU KRAMPETER
----Sources: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 06/11/1931
Landry, John B. (31 OCT 1849 - 4 JUN 1931)
Again the grim reaper, Death, has taken another pioneer from our midst; and soon ours will only be a memory of those hardy, early pioneers who had the courage and conviction to hew these beautiful farms out of the wilderness when the future had very much less promise for them than what ours has for us.
John B. Landry was born at Bia Chaleur, Quebec, Canada, Oct. 31, 1849, the son of Peter and Orlea Landry, who reared a family of twelve children. He began his career by helping in the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railroad from coast to coast, then came to Wisconsin in the late seventies to work for the lumber concerns, among them being the Eau Claire Lumber Co. The many big pine stumps still in evidence in this territory give mute evidence ot his ceaseless labor. Few of his old friens are left to tell the tales of those early historic days in the lumber camps during the winter, the log drives down the Eau Claire Rivers in the spring, and the work on the old Company Farm (the section now owned b W. H. Krause and other) during the summer. On Aug. 18, 1886, he purchased the tract of wild land in the town of Reseburg, Clark Co., Wis., which has never changed ownership since. Here he spent a part of his time clearing enough land for his first buildings, and worked at the Sterling Mill four miles east of Thorp during the next few years. Those were the days of oxen and when Sterling was a busy town with a mill running twenty hours per day. On Nov. 15, 1888, he was united in marriage with Dora M. Oesau, who was born in New Holstein, Wis., Jan. 23, 1861; and they set to work solving life’s problems together and establishing the farm that stands today as a monument to their untiring efforts. But just when the future began to look bright, great hardships were heaped upon them because of the accident that befell Mr. Landry when he was struck by a Wis. Central passenger train and suffered the loss of his right leg on Feb. 1, 1894. That year, the Township of Reseburg was organized and he was elected its first treasurer, an office he held for many years. Despite the handicap of being crippled, he cleared his entire farm; and with the help of his wife, gave each of his four children a high school and college education. Early in May 1926, he suffered his fist apoplectic stroke from which he recovered quite well; but on June 4, 1927, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Frank Krampeter, in Gilmanton, he was stricken with a second stroke which took away his speech and left him entirely helpless. Since that time he was a patient sufferer at Sacred Heart Hospital at Eau Claire, where on May 29th, he was stricken with the third stroke from which he never recovered and was called to his eternal reward early Sunday morning. Funeral services were held Tuesday morning from his old home, the place dearest to him; and from St. Bernard’s Catholic Church, with Rev. Muckerheide officiating. And now after his many years among us, he is resting beside his wife who preceded him in death on Oct. 26, 1924. Surviving him to mourn his death are: Wallace of Neillsville, Howard of Cadott, Harry of Kilbourn, and Belle (Mrs. Frank Krampeter) of Gilmanton; also his brother Peter of Carleton, Can., and his sisters, Marie of Carleton, Canada, and Virginia of Berlin, N.H. The memory of his integrity, courage, jovial disposition, and patience during all of his suffering, together with those of his fellow early settlers shall be always with us and shall be an incentive for us to carry on their good work.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs