Obit: Miltimore, Daniel O. (1840 - 1901)
Contact: Shannon Guenther
----Source: The Dorchester Reporter (Dorchester, WI) - Fri, Sept 6, 1901
D. O. MILTIMORE DEAD
Founder of Dorchester Stricken by a Stoke of Appoplexy While in British Columbia For His Health
Daniel O. Miltimore, the founder of Dorchester, passed away, Monday, August 26th at Harrison River British Columbia, of a stroke of Appoplexy, at the age of 61 years. He was spending the season there for his health and was stricken to his bed only tow weeks before his death, although he had been ailing for some time. His wife and daughter, Minnie C. were the only relatives present.
The remains were taken to his home at Los Angeles, Cal. And interrment took place on Saturday, August 31st.
D. O., as he was more commonly called, was the oldest son of Mr. And Mrs. Daniel Miltimore and was born at North Troy , Vermont in 1840. When 15 years of age he moved with his father to Waushara county, Wisconsin, and were among the first settlers there. In the summer of 1874 he came here and erected the first building and acted in the capacity of Station and General Land Agent for the Wisconsin Central R. R. He occupied the position of General Land Agent until 1882, when he moved to his present home at Los Angles, Cal., where he invested in the Olive business and was president of the Los Angeles Olive Growers' Association. Besides his wife and two daughters, Minnie C. and Mrs. Grace A. Stiver, he leaves five brothers and two sisters to mourn his loss. Mr. Miltimore will be remembered here by all of the older residents and some of the later ones as a kind, generous and honest man, liberal in all of his dealings, loved and respected by all who knew him.
[Daniel's actual date of birth was 16 May 1838, and depending on sources was born in Potton, Brome Co., QC, Canada.]
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs