History: Sherwood, Clark Co., WI (1872 - 1972)
TOWN OF SHERWOOD, CLARK COUNTY, WI
Sherwood was created Jan. 5, 1874. The first meeting was held at the home of Hugh Perkins. It was created as Perkins Township, but the name was changed to Sherwood Forest Aug. 24, 1876. This was changed to Sherwood Jan. 12, 1900.
The Wood County Manufacturing Co. had a large mill in the northern part of the Town where they manufactured much white oak timber into lumber.
A stage line from Neillsville to Nevins, a small town in Sherwood has been cleared and farms have developed while the southeast third is Clark County Forest and Recreation Zone. Hay Creek, flowing down from the north, and having been dammed up, forms Sherwood Lake. It has many camping sites, with or without electricity. It is a place for relaxation, swimming, fishing and hunting. (excerpt from "Clark Co. Fair Centennial" 1872-1972)
NEXT>  
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs