Obit: Hungerford, Nelson L. (1840 - 1915)
Surnames: HUNGERFORD STONE EASTMAN TUCKER
----Source: Clark County Republican & Press (Neillsville, Wis.) 05/13/1915
Hungerford, Nelson L. (28 OCT 1840 - 4 MAY 1915)
N.L. Hungerford, for thirty-two years a resident of Clark County, died at his home in the town of Fremont May 4, 1915.
Nelson Levi Hungerford was born in West Brome, Province of Quebec, Canada, Oct. 28, 1840.
In 1864 he was married to Eliza Stone of Parishville, N.Y. Three children were born to this union, Mary Gertrude, France Lucretia and Ellen Roberts. In 1883 he moved to Nasonville, Wis., where six weeks later his wife died. Here he engaged in the mercantile business and later retired to his farm, where he spent the remainder of his life. In 1886 he was united in marriage with Nettie M. Eastman of Nasonville. He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. C.E. Tucker of Neenah, Wis. and Ellen Hungerford, and one grandson, Lawrence Hungerford Tucker.
Six weeks ago Mr. Hungerford was stricken with apoplexy and though not unexpected, his death has caused profound sorrow throughout the community where he lived, for as a neighbor and citizen he had won the love and respect of all.
Of upright character, strict integrity and high ideals, the influence of his life will long be felt, and as a citizen deeply interested in all public matters and active in the promotion of any movement for the advancement and improvement of the community, he will long be remembered. Of superior intellect and ability he advice and counsel, in town and other meetings was considered invaluable and his services as a public speaker were often sought.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Joseph Brown of Marshfield, for many years a close friend of the deceased, and the remains were laid to rest in the Nasonville cemetery.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs