Bio: Andrews, James Sheldon (1863)
Surnames: ANDREWS, COOK, HUBBEL
----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin, pg. 429 - 430
J. S. Andrews
J. S. Andrews, proprietor of an eighty-acre farm in Section 35, Warner Township, was born in Ontario, Canada, May 14, 1863. His father, George C. Andrews, was a blacksmith, born and reared in Canada, came to the United States with his parent when only 8 years old, and received his education in the public school of Greenwood. J. S. Andrews began working out on farms and in the woods at the age of 18 years. When he was 24 he went to Ottertail County, Minn., where, to invest his savings, he bought a piece of wild land, and also took up a homestead of 160 acres. Building a shack, he cleared some of his land and did some farming, remaining there three years. He then went to Idaho, where he stayed about a year, living for the most part in the vicinity of Cordlane. Then returning to Wisconsin, Mr. Andrews operated his father's farm of forty acres in Section 35 for a number of years.
In 1896, in the month of October, he was married to Essylath Cook, whose father, Dan Cook, was a farmer who had come to Wisconsin from Canada. Her mother's maiden name was Phoebe Anne Hubbel. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Andrews settled on his farm, where they stayed four years. He then bought eighty acres in Section 35, Warner Township. The tract was covered with timber, and there was no road to the land, there being only a turnpike from Neillsville to two miles north of Greenwood, all other so-called roads being merely trails. On this land he built an eight-room house and a frame barn, which latter he has since replaced with a new and modern round barn. He has chopped off sixty acres of his land, and now has thirty-seven under plow. He also raises Holstein cattle and is conducting a successful business as a farmer.
Pictured above is the round barn built by James Sheldon Andrews.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs