Obit: Sanders, Martha A. (1834 - 1915)
Surnames: SANDERS MEAD
----Source: GREENWOOD GLEANER (Greenwood, Wis.) 12/09/1915
Sanders, Martha A. (9 JAN 1834 - 5 DEC 1915)
Mrs. Martha Ann Sanders, an old and respected pioneer resident of Clark County, Wis., died at the home of her son, R.L. Sanders at Longwood, Wis., Sunday forenoon at eleven o’clock, at the age of 78 years. The past year her demise had been expected at any time, owing to her declining health due to frequent strokes of paralysis.
Martha Ann Mead was born in Dutchess Co., N.Y., Jan. 9, 1834, and when seven years of age moved to Watertown, Wis. with her parents, where she lived until married to John Sanders. In 1871 the family came to Clark County and settled on the farm at Longwood, on which Mrs. Sanders lived and toiled and withstood the hardships of the early pioneer lumbering days on Black River.
At the time of her arrival in this county there was only a few miles of turnpike north of Neillsville, and often bad weather, snow and timber trails made very difficult the early life of first settlers in this vicinity. In fact, the only family between Greenwood and their home was that of her brother, Harry Mead.
Deceased was the mother of three sons, one dying in infancy, John E. of Manitowish, Wis., who has spent the past year with his parents, and R.L. Sanders, who has lived with and taken care of his aged parents the past few years. Besides the above mentioned she leaves her husband, one brother, Wm. Mead, and a host of friends among old and young, to mourn the passing away of a life that has been a blessing to the community in which she lived. Deceased has been a member of the Longwood M.E. Church since its foundation, from which edifice the funeral sermon was held yesterday, Rev. J.S. Willmarth officiating. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs