Obit: Andrews, Franklin H. (1864 - 1924)
Surnames: ANDREWS GAUGER JOHNSTON BURCH SHANKS ARMS
----Source: GREENWOOD GLEANER (Greenwood, Wis.) 07/17/1924
Andrews, Franklin H. (25 JAN 1864 - 6 JUL 1924)
Franklin H. Andrews was born in Rowden Township, Hastings Co., Canada, Jan. 25, 1864, and died at the St. Joseph Hospital at Marshfield, Wis., Sunday, July 6, 1924. He was 60 years, 5 months and 11 days old at the time of his death.
At the age of four years his parents with six children, moved from Canada to Tunnel City, Wis., where they resided for about a year, when they moved to Greenwood, Clark County, Wis., which was at that time quite a wilderness. Here Mr. Andrews’ father engaged in the logging business for several years and was owner of a large part of the land on which the city of Greenwood was later built.
Frank attended the village school until he was old enough to assist his father with his work. He later worked in lumber camps, on the drive, in the mills of La Crosse, on the Coleman farm, and other places until his marriage on Sept. 8, 1901 to Miss Eva Arms, to which union were born three daughters.
With the exception of a few months spent at the home of his mother and on the farm of his wife’s father, the greater share of his life was spent at his home in Greenwood.
A little over two years after his marriage he received his appointment as Rural Mail Carrier, in which service he was engaged for the remainder of his life until July 3rd of the present year.
He is survived by his wife, three daughters, Elsie Gauger of Cuba, Kan.; Esther and Margaret of Greenwood; three brothers, George Dudley of Stuart, Ark.; McKinzie of Colby, and William of Greenwood; three sisters, Anna Jonston of Santa Cruz, Calif.; Belle Burch and Hattie Shanks of Greenwood; two grandchildren, three nephews and six nieces, besides a host of other relatives.
Funeral services were held at the M.E. Church on Thursday, July 10, conducted by Rev. Thompson, who preached a very appropriate sermon from the test found in Math. 24:44. Interment was made in the Greenwood Cemetery.
Four mail carriers, with their cars, were engaged to carry mourners, while three other cars conveyed the pallbearers and flowers to the church and cemetery. Words cannot express or begin to describe the beauty of the floral offerings which came from far and near, from relatives, friends, postal employees and patrons of the two routes on which the deceased had served.
Since so much love and sympathy was shown by those who knew him, it is not necessary to eulogize upon his life; it speaks for itself. Suffice it to say that all who knew him best could count on him as a true friend and cannot but think that the Father has seen him safely over the stream of death to a haven of eternal rest.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs