Bio: O'Neill, Honorable James (b. 4 May 1810)
Surnames: O'NEILL ONEILL JOHNSON MEYERS DOUGLAS COVAL DARLING
----Source: 1881 History of Clark Co., WI
HON. JAMES O'NEILL, proprietor of the O'Neill House and proprietor of the village of Neillsville, was born in the town of Lisbon, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y., May 4, 1810. In 1836, started west and brought up at Prairie du Chien, Wis., and there engaged in lumbering on the Black River, as settled on the present site of the village of Neillsville, and built the first log cabin in 1845 that was put up in this section, also a saw mill. In 1847, constructed a frame house built the first part of the fine hotel called the O'Neill House, in 1858, and opened the hotel as it is now in 1865. Hans Johnson rented it in 1867, and Johnson Meyers bought it in 1868. However Mr. O'Neill has kept it since, buying it back in 1878. Mr. O'Neill has been married twice, in 1847, to Miss Jane Douglas, of Scotland. They had three children. Isabella, now Mrs. Coval, Maria, now Mrs. Darling, Thomas, deceased. Mrs. O'Neill died in 1871 and he married Mrs. Teller in 1873. They have one child, James. Mr. O'Neill was elected to the Assembly in 18 From Crawford County in 1867 was elected again to the Assembly for Jackson and Clark counties has also served as County Treasurer and as Town Supervisor.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs