History: York Township, WI Records (1873 - 1980)
Contact: Loyal Public Library
----Source: Excerpt from "The Centennial History of the York Center United Methodist Church, 1880 - 1980..
FROM THE TOWN RECORDS OF YORK TOWNSHIP, 1873 - 1980
1900--It was voted to raise $5,500 for general purposes, but no money for highways. The Town Board had disallowed the claim of August Bredlau for $5,246.00 aizainst the Town because the York Center Bridge broke down. They were to get legal advice.e.
1901--Voted to raise $8W for road and bridges, and $300 for general purposes. $75 was raised for pauper relief. At a special meeting it was voted to appeal the court case (Bredlau) to the Supreme Court.
1902--It was voted to raise $350 for the general fund and $400 in conjunction with the county to build an iron bridge at McClaffins. $800 was also raised for highway purposes.
1903--Special meeting, July 7, 1903--The meeting was called to discuss what to do about the August and Augusta Bredlau judgments against the town of York and to change the appropriations for an iron bridge across O'Neill Creek near Graves place in Section 15 (on H). It was voted unanimously to vote bonds and settle the judgment and appropriations for the bridges and for a bridge across Cawley Creek near the McKimm Place. At a special meeting in August it was voted to pay off the $3,000'bond in five payments of $600 each and interest at 31/2 %. Jerry Davis got the bid to paint the six iron and wooden bridges in the town for $11.75 with the Town furnishing the paint.
1904--Voted to pay Nathan Dubes for the roads he had built in Section I at the prevailing prices. Stone piers were to be put under the bridge to be built near the Chapel place.
1906--Chauncey Stevens presented a bill for $250 for damages caused by reason for his horse breaking his leg and having to be killed. The voters voted to raise $125 and pay Mr. Stevens in full for his damages. It was also voted to cut down the hill between Sc. 11 and 12 (North of Romadka School) and take the money out of the highway fund. The roads in Sec. 15 were causing much trouble and it was voted to discontinue some parts of them.
1908--The town voters wanted to abolish the County Road Commission. Bridge plank was to be bought if it was sound oak from August Lautenbach.
1910--Voted to raise $1200 to build one larger bridge in See. 28 west of Walter Graves' farm and one on the town line near Tucker's Cheese Factory and five smaller ones.
1912--Voted $600 to put in a new bridge on the south town line of See. 36. (This is 1/2 of th6 estimated cost.) Voted that $125 to repair the town hall "(now roof and -pier under the hall and buy a stove if possible.)" The erection of landmarks and surveying of the town was defeated by six votes. At a special meeting $400 was raised for a special road tax in order to obtain County and State Aid. On the first ballot it was defeated, but reconsidered and passed.
1917--Moiiev for bridges continued to be the big iteni. There was money received from the county and state that was used for roads.
1921--$2500 raised for road work. It was voted to gravel road from Parrett's Corner (Oriole Hill?) toward the County Farm. $700 NN,as raised for the Zwick Road. $1200 was raised for the bridge fund.
1922--Apparently there were many requests for roads to be built (Autos becoming common and people wished to be able to drive to the farnis?)--Baker Road, Bardell Road, $800 voted for "Garbisch" Road (Romadka?) $500 was voted to gravel road near Romadka--countv to pay equal amount.
1922--Chairiiian to use his influence at the County Board to dispense with C. Agricultural Agent! 1925--Money voted: $500 to gravel road west from John VandeBergs, $SOO on Kintzele Road, $100 on Tyler Road, $200 at Nonhoffs, $300 at Heiiitown.
1926--Chairnian is instructed to vote against opening the roads in winter. Gas tax money available to the Town - $1,672.
1927--Chairnian to use his influence to have Federal Highway (10) turn at H(-Nesley's Corner (on 73), and run on town line between Grant and York. Rossows were set from District 2 to Dist. I and road to Dist. I maintained at discretion of the Town Board.
1928--Motion made and seconded that the Town Board lay out the Owens Road as per petition. It was voted to buy a stone crusher for town use only. A motion to hire trucks to haul gravel was lost. It was voted to have farmers haul with horses ii it could be done as cheaply as with trucks. Romadka Road inwinter 1920's.
1929--It was voted to raise an additional $400 to repair bridges. Efforts are to be made to have the county accept the road from Hoseley Corners (off 73) to Ed Voight's as a county road. Wilson Mallory died on Sept. 3, 1929 and Gus Bergemann was appointed to fill out the term.
1930--C. R. Sturdevant was present and explained the transactions of Wilson Mallory's account. (Up untd this time friends signed to go bond for the treasurer. John Kintzele and Mr. Kemmeter filed a bill of $12,000 which they had deposited to this account, but the meeting disallowed it.) (They voted down their request to have Attorney Al Devos explain it). They also voted to have a bonding company furnish bond for the town and the town to pay for it after this. Motion was also made to insure the employees of the town.
1931-1932--The only question seems to be which bank is safe for the town funds. It was left up to the Town Board. Snow fence to be purchased.
1933--Motion made and seconded that all labor in the town be cut 30% in pay. Motion made to cut all officers salaries 40% lost and they were left the same.
1934--A fund of $400 as a building fund for hall was voted. It was voted to pay 25cents per hour for men and 25cents per hr. for a team for the ensuing year.
1935--The appropriations recommended by the Board were to raise $800 for general and poor relief, $400 for bridges and culverts, and $400 for a building fund. A motion was carried the residents of the town, without feed loans, be given preference for a substantial part of the roadwork for the ensuing year.
1936--A motion was made and carried that land be purchased and a road laid out for Chas. Rossow. Also passed a motion to have all Town Officers have telephones.
1937--Motion made, seconded and carried that the Town Board make arrangements with the adjoining towns to keep the roads open in winter.
1938--The town board was authorized to purchase the Am. Woodman's of America hall to be used for a machine shed to house the town machinery. It is to be moved back to be even with the town hall. and to purchase a piece of land from John Davis for parking space for cars. The town board was to be given authority to purchase road equipment to patrol the town roads and remove snow from the roads. (The town purchased a piece of land from John Davis cast of the town hall for $50 and deeded the land where the M.W. A. hall used to stand to John Davis.
1942--The Conservation Dept. was given the authority to post the streams in the town to protect them from being used for commercial purposes. (Minnows were netted from them.)
1946--A snow plow for the truck was to be bought if they could not hire someone to plow the snow.
1947--Dee. 8--Voted to buy an Austin-Western No. 99M to be paid for in 3 years. $9,190.00.
1948--A five man committee composed of Wm. Naedler, Fred Elmhorst, Ed Grecler, Tony Spangler and Geo. Buddinger were to investigate the proposition that the town buy the Russell Buettner property and replace the garage that burned. They were also to dispose of the iron where the garage stood.
1950--$1,500 raised to pay for transportation of the students to the high schools, Loyal, NeiUsville and Granton. The Town Patrol may be used by farmers for Soil Couervation work at the rate of $5.50 per hour. The patrolman (Gerhardt Garbisch) was paid $1.00 per hour for 200 hours per month.
1951--Special meeting called to determine if a Class A and B liquor license should be issued in the town. An advisory ballot showed 114 cast, and 73 against and 41 for a tavern. Leon Schnabols petitioned to be put in the Oriole Hill district from Happy Hollow (jt. 3). A joint meeting of the Grant and York Boards agreed to it.
1952--RoUie Benedict made a motion to raise $100 to buy a blower for the heating plant in the town hall. Motion carried after a vote.
1954--Annual meeting voted to go in with the town of Grant, Lynn, Washburn and the Village of Granton to buy a fire truck at a cost of $12,500. York's cost to be $4,300. July 26, 1954--the Ross School was dissolved at a meeting held at the Ross School. The area in the Town of Loyal was attached to Lyon and the area in York in See. 6 to Forman, and other areas in See. 5 and 6 to Pleasant View.
1957--The town meeting voted- to raise the pay of town officers to $8.00 per day from $6.00. The Town Board was instructed to try to buy a dumping ground and $500.00 was voted for the cost of it. The old horse drawn graders and road drags, owned by the town, were to be sold by the Town Board by a motion made by Bryan Glass. At a meeting on April 23, 1957, the school districts of Jt. 3, Town of York and Grant (Happy Hollow) and Pioneer farmstead. Mixed-Shorthorn cattle. (About 1900-1910) District No. 2 of York (Oriole Hill) were consolidated by a unanimous vote of the town boards of the two towns. On July 5, 1957, a special meeting was called by petition to buy a new grader. An Austin-Western Power grader with a heavy duty wing was purchased for $20,755 with a total trade-in of $8,528.05, difference of $12,226.95. District No. 3, Merry Vale School, was consolidated with J.t. 4, (Granton) by petition on April 15, 1959 and the hearing was held on May 6 at Merryvale. ground stiii nad not been found and it was decided to advertise for one, or perhaps to find one outside the township. Norbert Barten nioved that a petition to the county to' add Romadka Rd. to the county system be drawn up by the Town Board following a discussion of the condition of the road. It was carried. 1965.
1966--A motion was made by Norbert Barten. and seconded by Joe Per'nsteiner that the road from the center of Section 24 be extended one-half mile east to the town line. The vote was unanimous for the motion.
1967--A proposal to join with others for ambulance service for the area was voted down. The question of keeping polls open later so that more could vote was discussed. The Board has the power to do so. On May 26, a special meeting was called and the ambulance question discussed, and it passed. Herman Seebandt was to serve as representative on the ambulance board.
1968--After a discussion of the many grass fires, it was agreed that the Board could hold anyone starting grass fires liable for damages caused by them.
1970--Chr. Seebandt states the necessity of coming to an agreement with the Town of Loyal to share equally the original cost and the cost of upkeep of the'town dump. A discussion on Romadka Road followed with no conclusion reached.
1972--Board authorized to spend up to $3,000 to lower ceiling and panel the wall of the hall.
1976--Motion made to repair the old patrol.
1979--it was voted to put up road signs naming the roads in the town.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs