Richard & Betty
Contact: Loyal Public Library
----Source: ----Source: Excerpt from "The Centennial History of the York Center United Methodist Church, 1880 - 1980..
EIBERGEN, RICHARD AND BETTY
Richard (Dick) Eibergen and sons are the third and fourth generation farming part of the original 120 acres that Albert W. and Maggie Hales settled on in 1884 in section 27 of York Township. L.A. Hales bought 40 of the original 120 acres.
In 1956 Richard and his wife, Betty purchased the farm from his parents, Ella (Hales) and Wm. Eibergen with whom he had farmed in partnership from 1948. His parents had farmed the land since 1929.
Over a period of several years, Richard has increased the size of the farm to 460 acres and added 50 feet to the barn, two wood stave silos have been replaced with three concrete silos 12x46, 18x60, and 20x70. Three free-stall sheds have been built and with the space in the barn provide accommodations for 150 milk cows, some of which are pure-bred Holsteins. A 128x30 ft. steel building houses feeder pigs and calves. Steers and heifers for dairy replacements are also raised. A ranch-style home replaces the two-story home. Machinery is stored in a 128x54 ft. steel building.
Richard and Betty Zahradka were married in 1954 and their children are Jeff, Keith, Gary, Eric, Kent, and Dawn. A daughter, Gwen, died when she was three years of age.
From a very early age, the sons have had a most keen interest, pride, knowledge and involvement in the farming operation. Jeff, Gary, and Keith are graduates from high school and the U. of Wis. Farm Short Course. Jeff was farming with the family and also did custom harvesting and fuel delivery until 1979. He is now driving semi-trucks. At present Gary and Keith are intensively involved in the farming operation, Keith having his own operation on rented property. Machines and labor are shared. The feeder pig operation belongs solely to the sons. Eric, Kent, and Dawn, elementary pupils, are willingly supplying labor on the farm as their older brothers did.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs