Church: Thorp, St. Hedwig's Polish Church (1906)

Contact:  Stan

----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 08/19/1906

New St. Hedwig's Church

St. Hedwig's Polish Church located two miles east of Thorp, Clark County, Wis., which has been under construction for nearly two years past, is approaching completion. The contractor, A. F. Wochnich, has completed his work, and the installation of furniture and furnaces is now going in, and it is expected to have the building ready for dedication in September.

The structure is built of solid brick, over a twelve foot full basement, 66 x 135 feet in size, the auditorium from floor to ceiling in the center being forty-five feet in height and will seat 1200 persons. Ten massive fluted columns in the interior support the roof, arched in cathedral style, the architectural effects being enhance by beautiful plaster cast figures and ornamental work. A gallery or balcony over the vestibule extends across the entire width of the interior, being 66 x 36 feet in size, with an arched center for the location of an organ and the choir. The platform for the altar is also very large, with handsomely finished and spacious vestry rooms on each side. The walls and ceilings are finished in white plaster, hard finish, the woodwork being southern pine finished in natural color, and the floors of hard maple. Fourteen large stained glass windows, portraying artistic life-size figures embellish the beauty of the interior and outside appearance. The windows are valued at nearly $2000, several of which were paid for by individual members of the parish. Three entrances at the front of the building lead into the vestibules, the outside and interior of the center entrance being the handsomest and largest. The tower is 135 feet in height, of massive proportion, surmounted by a cross, finished in gold.

The basement contains two handsomely finished committee and school rooms of ample sizes, also a chapel 57 x 66 feet in size, maple floors and hard finished plastered walls and ceilings. Four Bovec hot blast furnaces are being installed to heat the building.

The contract price of the structure was $18,000, but necessary changes made since beginning work, and the constant advance in price of building material, increases the cost of the building to the neighborhood of $23,000. This does not include the windows, pews, altar furnaces and smaller furniture, which when installed, will increase the cost about $7,000 more, making in all, when everything is complete, an investment of about $30,000.

To the earnest, consistent and untiring efforts of Father F. Pudio, pastor, and all members of his parish, which now numbers about 370 families, belongs the credit of erecting this beautiful edifice, which will stand as a monument to their utmost exertions and prove a lasting remembrance to their noble and generous liberality for generations to com. New St. Hedwig's Church

----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 08/19/1906

St. Hedwig's Polish Church located two miles east of Thorp, Clark County, Wis., which has been under construction for nearly two years past, is approaching completion. The contractor, A. F. Wochnich, has completed his work, and the installation of furniture and furnaces is now going on, and it is expected to have the building ready for dedication in September.

The structure is built of solid brick, over a twelve foot full basement, 66 x 135 feet in size, the auditorium from floor to ceiling in the center being forty-five feet in height and will seat 1200 persons. Ten massive fluted columns in the interior support the roof, arched in cathedral style, the architectural effects being enhance by beautiful plaster cast figures and ornamental work. A gallery or balcony over the vestibule extends across the entire width of the interior, being 66 x 36 feet in size, with an arched center for the location of an organ and the choir. The platform for the altar is also very large, with handsomely finished and spacious vestry rooms on each side. The walls and ceilings are finished in white plaster, hard finish, the woodwork being southern pine finished in natural color, and the floors of hard maple. Fourteen large stained glass windows, portraying artistic life-size figures embellish the beauty of the interior and outside appearance. The windows are valued at nearly $2000, several of which were paid for by individual members of the parish. Three entrances at the front of the building lead into the vestibules, the outside and interior of the center entrance being the handsomest and largest. The tower is 135 feet in height, of massive proportion, surmounted by a cross, finished in gold.

The basement contains two handsomely finished committee and school rooms of amples sizes, also a chapel 57 x 66 feet in size, maple floors and hard finished plastered walls and ceilings. Four Bovec hot blast furnaces are being installed to heat the building.

The contract price of the structure was $18,000, but necessary changes made since beginning work, and the constant advance in price of building material, increases the cost of the building to the neighborhood of $23,000. This does not include the windows, pews, altar furnaces and smaller furniture, which when installed, will increase the cost about $7,000 more, making in all, when everything is complete, an investment of about $30,000.

To the earnest, consistent and untiring efforts of Father F. Pudio, pastor, and all members of his parish, which now numbers about 370 families, belongs the credit of erecting this beautiful edifice, which will stand as a monument to their utmost exertions and prove a lasting remembrance to their noble and generous liberality for generations to com.

The Photo below, of St. Hedwig's, was contributed by the Thorp Area Historical Society.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE