BioA: Huls, Mr./Mrs. Henry (Gold Anniv - 1906)
Surnames: HULS EMMERS RODER VANDERLOOP HAAS
----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 09/20/1906
Huls, Mr./Mrs. Henry (Gold Anniv - 15 SEP 1906)
On Saturday last, Sept. 15, 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Huls, of the town of Thorp, Clark County, Wis., celebrated their Golden Wedding or fiftieth anniversary of their marriage. The event is one of the first of its kind in the history of Clark County. It was indeed, a social and pleasant gathering from far and near, consisting of brothers, children, friends and neighbors. The aged couple is happy parents of nine children, namely: Mrs. Theo. Emmers of South Kaukauna, Wis., Mrs. Wm. Roder of Depere, Wis., Wm. Huls of Brillion, Wis., John, Maurice, George, Barney, Mrs. H. Vanderloop and Mrs. Joseph Haas of Stanley, Wis. All were present, accompanied by their wives, excepting the second named, whose sickness made it impossible; Barney having no better half to bring. Thirty-four grandchildren are glad to crowd about the aged couple, and bring back happy memories of their childhood, so long but not in vain gone by. The invitations were widespread and appreciated by the attendance of Mr. Huls' three brothers, namely: Barney of Reading, Pa., Maurice of Salem, S. D., William of St. Wendel, Minn., the first of whom he had not seen for a period of fifty-one years. Barney and Maurice were also accompanied by their wives.
After a lapse of fifty years Mr. and Mrs. Huls attended special services at St. Bernard's Church in this village on Saturday morning at 8 o'clock and renewed their marriage vows in the presence of their children and many friends, Rev. Adam Arentz officiating, after which they repaired to their home in the town of Thorp to receive the congratulations generously showered upon them by a merry gathering of kinfolk. The table was handsomely decorated with gold leaves and flowers, the beautiful wedding cake forming the center of attraction. The dinner hour was made pleasant by the presence also of Rev. Arentz.
Many valuable presents were offered, and to express the sentiments of all present the occasion was a very happy one, and the general wish was that these worthy people would survive to celebrate their Diamond or 75th anniversary.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry
Huls were born in Gelderland, Holland, the husband on Jan. 6, 1828,
the wife (Catherine Sieverdienk) on March 14, 1836, and were united
in marriage at Bravorda, Holland, on Sept. 15, 1856. For fifteen
years following their marriage they continued to reside in Holland,
coming to America in 1871, settling on a farm near Brillion,
Calumet Co., Wis., and continuing that occupation for twenty-six
years. In 1897 they sold their farm but continued their residence
until 1902, when they moved to their present farm in the town of
Thorp, where they youngest son, George Huls, also resides, and are
content to spend the remainder of their days.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs