WI--Huber Cheese Factory
Contact: Dorene Newman
----Source: Unity Township
Centennial Newspaper; 1974
HUBER CHEESE FACTORY
The cheese factory most recently operated by Ed Huber and located in the southeast corner of the farm presently owned and operated by Donald ,Hebert, was built by Herman h. Marten, probably in the 1890's.- Emil W. Marten purchased the business in 1909. At this time the factory was equipped with just one vat. As business prospered, a second vat made of stainless steel was added. Some of the men who worked for Mr. Marten were Louis Justman, Fred Justman, Martin Kobs, and Werner Jenni.
Ed Huber, who now lives in Spencer, bought the factory in January, 1924. Business increased steadily until it reached a peak of about 50 patrons in 1934 or 1935. Unlike many other cheesemakers, Mr. Huber operated his factory throughout the winter. He did, however, find it necessary to make cheese only every other day. He estimates that over the years he made an average of 100,000 lbs. of cheese per year. The factory was operated primarily by the Huber family, Mrs. Huber; and the children, as they became old enough, all worked in the factory. Two helpers were the most ever employed by the Huber factory. Steve Miller of Marshfield and Dairybelt of Spencer were the major customers for Mr. Huber's cheese.
As the economy slowed down during the war (WWII) years, so did the cheese business. In an attempt to keep the business going, Huber made a product called Osseage. This was actually a very dry Colby cheese with an Italian flavor. It was smoked like summer sausage and could be kept for long periods of time without refrigeration. The factory was closed in May of 1945, when it had only ten patrons. It was sold to an unknown party who intended to convert it into a cabinet shop. His plans were short lived, and the shop was never opened. Eventually the house was moved to Abbotsford. Sometime later Toddy Hebert bought the factory, moved it into Spencer (along Highway 98 on the west of town and remodeled it into living quarters.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs