Contact: Dorene Newman
----Source: Unity Township
Centennial Newspaper, 1974
The organizational meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Otto Schulz and the name Maplewood was chosen since most of the members resided in the Maplewood school district.
The club has provided assistance to Clark County Health projects including kindergarten screening, working with the Mobile Health Unit and drives for the Red Cross, Cancer, Heart Fund, and Mental Retardation. A certificate for outstanding Health Achievement was awarded in 1953.
In recent years, safety projects of the county have been a major interest. Members have been instrumental in campaigns for stop signs at dangerous crossings, no passing signs on a particularly dangerous hill, and luminous markings on railroad cars.
In 1959, following a Leader Training project on youth, members helped organize the P. T. A. for the Colby' School District.
In 1968 Maplewood Homemakers assisted the Clark County Family Life Committee in organizing the Unity Senior Citizenship Club and worked with them in presenting a fashion show at centennial celebrations.
Members are enriched after attending council meetings, leader training meetings, and others. Enrichment also comes through bus trips to places of interest, such as Hart Kitchen, Wausau; Winnebago Children's Home, Neillsville; Watkins Co.. Winona, Minn.; lee Foiiies and Betty Crocker Kitchens of Minneapolis.
This year the club assisted the Clark County Homemakers Cultural Arts Committee in furnishing information for a brochure "Where to go and what to see in Clark County." Present officers include Mrs. Harold Boyer, President; Mrs. Alvin Brenner, Vice President; Mrs. Ansel Messer, Secretary; and Mrs. Larry Meyer, Treasurer. Mrs. Merlin Justman is presently serving as Vice President of Clark County Extension Homemakers.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs