Kellogg & Edward
----Source: 1918 HISTORY OF CLARK CO., WIS.
At the close of the war George A. Austin was sent on the expedition organized to drive the French out of Mexico, but the death of Maximillian and the subsequent departure of the French army from that country caused the expedition to be halted business, accordingly he then purchased the hotel known afterwards as the Hubbard House, and which occupied the site of the present Merchant's Hotel. At that time pine stumps were to be seen in the main street of the town and the principal guests of the hotel were lumbermen.
KELLOGG HUBBARD also bought ninety-five acres of land in Section 15, Pine Valley Township-lot 9 and lot 8. The tract was covered with timber and there were no buildings on it. Mr. Hubbard built down by the river a frame barn, 30 by 40 feet in size, and a frame house, all of hewed timber and shaved shingles. He conducted the hotel for many years and always resided in it, but also in later years engaged in farming. He saw the days when he had to pay 16 a barrel for flour, and 60 for pork. His supplies were hauled from Sparta at 1.25 to 1.50 per hundredweight. He was about to engage in the lumber business when his career was brought to an end by death, which occurred when he was 45 years old, in about 1866. His wife lived to the age of 86, dying in 1914. All their children were born in Pennsylvania. Kellogg Hubbard was a popular man in his day, being a good host, and generous hearted, often helping newcomers who arrived in the county destitute. His father, Lucius, frequently visited him and lived in Pine Valley Township a number of years, but finally returned east, where he died.
Edward F. Hubbard, in his boyhood, attended the log schoolhouse, located between the Gates and Crothers' farms on the edge of Neillsville, and later the frame schoolhouse in Neillsville.
When older he engaged in logging, working on the drive every year, and after the timber was exhausted here, went to the Chippewa River. He was foreman of the camps for many winters. He then took up agricultural work on his father's farm, and now farms fifty-three acres, having forty acres of pasture land lying to the north. The frame of his barn was built by his father, Edward F. building a silo, 14 by 30 feet, of cement blocks. He is successfully raising Holstein cattle and Clyde horses.
Mr. Hubbard has been chairman several times of the township sideboard and has served as assessor. He is a member of the Farmers' Creamery Association of Neillsville and of the Odd Fellows' and Woodmen's lodges. Mr. Hubbard was married, July 4, 1877, to Julia Evans, who was born in Wisconsin, Dec. 7, 1855, daughter of David Evans, a pioneer settler of Pine Valley Township, who drove into the township, in early days with two yoke of cattle and two horses. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard have two sons, Leslie and Hugh. Leslie, who was formerly employed as a buttermaker here, later became connected with the Bowman Milk Company, and is the headman in their bottling plant near Chicago. He married Amelia Ketle and has two children, Mildred and Charlotte. Hugh, is engineer with the Bowman Milk Company, in their plant at Bigfoot Prairie, Ill. he married Minnie Hanson and they have one child, Lyndon.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs