Obit: Blanchard, Horace J. (1839 - 1921)
Surnames: BLANCHARD BRINKER RICHTER
----Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Wis.) 06/16/1921
Blanchard, Horace J. (18 NOV 1839 - 8 JUN 1921)
Horace Jones Blanchard was born at Mansonville, Province of Quebec, Canada, on Nov. 18, 1839. He came to the United States when a boy, locating in Massachusetts. He came to Wisconsin in the 1860’s and to Colby, Wis. in the fall of 1871. Colby, then was the terminus of the Wis. Central Railroad.
On March 28, 1879 he was married to Emma Brinker, and to this union six children were born, two, Myrtle and Charles having died in infancy. Surviving Mr. Blanchard are the widow, Mrs. Blanchard and four children, Horace J. Jr., Phillips, Wis., George W., Edgerton, Wis., Pearl Blanchard, Colby, and Mrs. Wm. Richter, Belfield, N.D.
Mr. Blanchard soon after coming to Colby, homesteaded a tract of land on the banks of the Eau Plaines River near Cherokee, but shortly after permanently located at Colby, where he has been active ever since. He was for many years engaged in general mercantile business.
At the time when Colby had two post offices, Mr. Blanchard was post master of the East Ward. In 1896 he again was appointed postmaster and served in that capacity for seventeen years. He also served several terms on the Marathon County Board and was a member of the Marathon Co. Training School Board for many years. He was, during his long residence in Wisconsin, active in the Republican Party, having been delegate to several state conventions and in 1899 acted as Assistant Sergeant of Arms of the Republican National Convention.
The funeral was held Saturday afternoon from the M. E. Church, Rev. J. G. Vance officiating. The services were conducted by the Masonic Lodge of Colby, of which he was a charter member. The Wausau Commandery was also represented.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs