Obit: VanGorden, Kenneth (1905 - 1963)
Contact: Kipp Kippenhan
----Source: Thursday, August 15, 1963 edition of the Clark County Press
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from the United Church of Christ in Neillsville for Kenneth VanGorden, 58, Neillsville businessman for the last 23 years, who died early Sunday following an illness of several months.
The Rev. Jack Grether was in charge. Burial was made in the Neillsville Cemetery.
Music for the service was provided by Mrs. Jack Grether at the organ and by Ellis Wall, vocalist.
During 23 years in Neillsville, Mr. VanGorden had been connected with the H.H. VanGorden & sons feed mill and fertilizer plant in Neillsville, and with the Royal Crown Bottling company of Neillsville, in which he was associated with his son-in-law, Charles Wasserberger.
He came here from Tomah in 1940, responding to a summons by his family to take over management of the H.H. VanGorden & Sons feed mill and fertilizer plant when his brother, Archie H. VanGorden, was called into federal service with the Service Company of the 128th Infantry, Wisconsin National Guard. He remained with the company after his brother returned, and continued in that relationship for several years after the return of his nephews Richard H. and Heron (Pink) VanGorden. present owners and operators of the family business in Neillsville.
He left the VanGorden mill in 1958 and was semi-retired until 1960, when he joined his son-in-law in the establishment of the Royal Crown Bottling company, which had been operated prior to that time as the Neillsville Bottling Works. He remained associated with this enterprise until his retirement was forced by ill health. He had been ill for several months.
Kenneth VanGorden was born May 22, 1905, in Hixton, the son of Mrs. Nellie VanGorden, and the late Harry VanGorden. In his boyhood, he moved with the family to Alma Center, where he attended school and worked in his father's general store and feed mill. In 1933, he took over operation of the mill, and remained there for five years.
In 1937 he purchased a bulk gasoline business in Tomah, which he operated until he was called to Neillsville to assume management of the VanGorden business here.
He was married June 15, 1929 in Winona, Minn., to the former Lucille Linder, who survives. Also surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Charles (Patricia) Wasserberger of Neillsville, Mrs. Richard (Bonita) Ross of Schofield, and Mrs. Albert (Nellie) Trost of Carrolton, Va.; his mother, Mrs. Nellie VanGorden; two brothers, Archie of Jupiter, Fla. and Lake Arbutus, and Bruce of Black River Falls; and by four grandchildren.
Arrangements for the service were made by the Georgas Funeral Home.
Pallbearers were Fred Wall, Art Gross, Albert Smith, August Selk, Robert Harvey and Gust North.
People from out-of-town attending were Mr. and Mrs. George Wussow, Mr. and Mrs. Harmon VanGorden, Mrs. Mary Kirk, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dunlap, Mrs. John Capaul, and Mr. and Mrs. Tony Statz, all of Alma Center; Mr. and Mrs. Philip Feyen, and H.B. Farnsworth of Humbird; Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Northrup of LaCrosse; Mr. and Mrs. Ray Northrup of Camp McCoy; Mr. and Mrs. B.B. VanGorden of Taylor; Mr. and Mrs. August Gahower of Tomah.
Mr. and Mrs. Donald VanGorden of Grantsburg; Mr. and Mrs. J. Bruce VanGorden, Mrs. Rose Peasley, Price Moe, and Milton Stenulson, all of Black River Falls; Alvina Linder, Mrs. Anna Linder, Mrs. Lillian Walmuth of Merrillan; Edward Linder of Markesan, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Krueger of West Bend; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Linder of Hartford; Mr. and Mrs. M.F. Beier of West Salem; Clifford Fremstad of Whitehall; Mr. and Mrs. R. Dierauer of Minneapolis, Minn.; Mr. and Mrs. John Linder of Cedarville, Ill.; Bruley Carlson and Mr. and Mrs. Clyde VanGorden of Eau Claire; Mr. and Mrs. Richard Ross of Schofield; Mr. and Mrs. Archie VanGorden of Jupiter, Fla.; and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Fremstad of Osseo.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs