Obit: Fred Tucker (1875 - 1964)
Contact: Kathleen Englebretson
----Source: The Forest Republican, Crandon, Wisconsin/11 Jun 1964
Fred Tucker (Son of George Tucker, Sr. & Jane Pugsley) Fred Tucker, 89, pioneer resident of Hiles and Argonne, died May 28, (1964) at the British Home at Brookfield, Illinois and was buried in Chicago. Death was due to a heart attack. Coming to Hiles first in the fall 1902, the year the town was started. Tucker was cookee in the Frank Hiles Camp 1, located just east of the milldam site, according to Dick Samz, Argonne. Here the logs were cut and sawed into the lumber and timbers used to build the big mill, the boarding house, and some of the first "cottages" as the early houses were called. After his marriage to Agnes Johnson of Three Lakes, he took up residence in one of these cottages, still standing next to the present Al Tauer home. He was at this time clerking in the store for the Forster-Whitman Lumber Company that was reorganized in 1909 into the Forster-Mueller Lumber Company with Harrison A. Fry as resident superintendent, Tucker took over the management of the store. From March 1913, to Jun 1917, Mr. Tucker was postmaster of Hiles after having acted as deputy for Mr. Fry. He left the village of Hiles to move to his farm in section 23, on highway 32 and southeast of the former Claude Colburn farm. By 1922, he was in partnership with Dick Abelt in the first garage in Argonne, selling and serving Studebaker cars and doing repairs on all makes. By 1925, he was residing in Argonne in the present Maurice Roberts house and with Russell Samz had bought out Abelt’s interest. Samz left the garage in 1929 to become Standard Oil dealer in Argonne, selling his garage interest to Tucker and Abelt in 1930, returning to his farm in Hiles. During the early 30’s Tucker spent the winter cooking in the various lumber camps and the summers were spent in a cottage he built near Pine Lake, now the Joseph Zacharek home. Over the years, Mr. tucker served many times as Clerk and treasurer for both the town and school. In 1933, he was elected town chairman at Hiles and served one term. In May of 1952, his first wife having died previously, Mr. Tucker was married to Mrs. Katherine Belmont, sister of Mrs. Elizabeth Aiken, who with her husband built the third cottage on Pine Lake in 1910. The Tuckers lived at Pine Lake until 1957 when they moved to the British Home, and there lived out the balance of their lives.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs