George Jr. - 19 Jan 1939
Contact: Kathleen Englebretson
----Source: Loyal Tribune/26 January 1939; Edited Version: Marshfield News Herald 19 Jan 1939 and Greenwood Gleaner
George Tucker, Jr. Dropping from the ranks one by one—the old settlers, the old builders of our community, the old neighbors and friends are leaving us. Early Thursday morning, Jan 19, 1939 George Tucker died at his home, his death resulting from a stroke which he suffered Monday and from which he did not regain consciousness. Mr. Tucker had been under the doctor’s care for the past two years, and had a slight stroke in October 1938. From this he rallied, and many of his friends did not realize his serious condition. Mr. Tucker was born Marsh 22, 1868 in Barnstable, England. At the age of sixteen he came to America with his father and one brother, his mother having died in England. They settled in Illinois. Soon his father returned to England for the other members of the family. After the father’s return to America, he with his three sons George, James and Fred, came to Clark County and found employment on the construction of the railroad between Marshfield and Greenwood. The two brothers also purchased farms. Mr. Tucker’s farm is a part of the present estate and is now rented by one of the sons. A few years later Mr. Tucker and his brother James went to Milwaukee where they had the distinction of turning the first furrow in breaking land for the streets of South Milwaukee. Later the brothers returned to their Clark County farms. On July 4, 1896, Mr. Tucker was married to Mable Pierce, at Greenwood, and the farm was the family home where their daughter (Bessie Blanchard of Seattle, Washington) and two sons (Harold of Loyal and William of Greenwood) were born, and where Mr. And Mrs. Tucker lived until 1926 when they moved to our village where they have since made their home. They celebrated their 42nd Anniversary last July, and were happy to have with them, all of their children and grandchildren. He is survived by his wife, his daughter and two sons, six grandchildren, one brother, Fred, of Argonne, two sisters, Mrs. Mary Uhrie of Battle Creek, Michigan, and Mrs. Henry (Annie) Mathison of this city and a host of friends. Mr. Tucker brought from his native country home some of the English love for the soil. He enjoyed his farm and had ever a great desire to see it improved and to note a yearly progress. His was the great virtue of loving his home and his family. In his recent less active, more quiet days, he expressed a deep satisfaction that his farm was in good hands and often turned his thoughttoward his grandchildren, expressing his love for them and his hopes for their future. These days also brought expressions of appreciation of and gratitude for the love that surrounded him here, and expressions of a deep interest in things unseen and eternal.
Out of the hurt may be born a smile. Out of the blow, a kiss; Somewhere the sun shines all the while; Could we remember this? Out of the tears may a rainbow shine, Out of the struggle rest. Somewhere God’s hand reacheth down to thine, Giving thee what is best.
The pallbearers were Will Habhegger, Bob McConnell, John Wuethrich, Orin Trindal, Ed. Bertz, and Vernard Kauffman. Those in charge of the flowers were Mrs. Louise Kauffman, Mrs. Arthur Darton, Mrs. J. Wuethrich, Mrs. Sid Smith, Miss Julia Habhegger and Mrs. V. Kauffman. The Rev. Raymond. J. Fleming conducted the funeral services in the Methodist Church at Loyal on Sunday afternoon. Music was rendered by the quartet Mrs. G. Nelson, Mrs. R. Prior, Mr. R. B. Colby and Mr. J. R. Colby. Mrs. Pengelly accompanied. Burial was in the Loyal Cemetery. Card Of Thanks We wish to thank those who by their kind acts showed their sympathy during our recent sorrow. Mrs. Geo. Tucker, Mr. And Mrs. Harold Blanchard and children, Mr. and Mrs. William Tucker and children.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs