News: Stanley Republic (9-Jan-2003)
Transcriber: Joan M. Benner
----Source: Stanley Republican,
Thursday January 9, 2003, Page 5 10 Years Ago, January 7, 1993.
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Flowers on Broadway opened its doors on Jan. 4. The business is owned and operated by Deb Karlen, Deb Chwala and Heather Chwala.
25 Years Ago, January 5, 1978 The D. R. Moon Memorial Public Library became part of the Chippewa County Library System on Jan. 1.
40 Years Ago, January 10, 1963 Sev Plombon, Jr. of Stanley will be the new owner of the Chevrolet garage in Augusta on Feb. 1. Plombon has been employed for several years as a salesman for South Side Motor Company, local Chevrolet agency, which recently became the Hofkes Chevrolet Company, Inc.
Homer Moe of Stanley is the new conservation warden at Augusta, effective immediately.
Dean and James Shock have taken over management of the Yellowstone Garage here from their father, M. R. Shock, effective Jan. 1.
Fred Zais, Stanley, was reappointed deputy sheriff this week by Lee Arntz, new sheriff of Chippewa County.
50 Years Ago, January 8, 1953 A group of interested people are trying to get a Cub Scout group again organized in Stanley.
Local coin telephone calls will be ten cents soon, which will mark the first increase in more than 50 years.
60 Years Ago, January 8, 1943 Any farmer short on gas for his truck and farm pickup should go to the Boyd Village Hall, where a representative of the Defense Transportation Committee will help them make their appeals to the DOT. Farmers should bring their Certificate of War Necessity with them.
70 Years Ago, January 6, 1933 Arne Korn will be named deputy sheriff for Stanley by the new sheriff, Conrad Thornton, according to an announcement.
100 Years Ago, January 10, 1903 The barbers announce that their businesses will now be closed on Sundays.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs