Obit: Alvina Meyer (1865 - 1940)
Contact: Jane Rasmussen
----Source: Family Album
Mrs. Joseph Meyer passed away at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, October 26 at the Neillsville Hospital, where she was taken shortly after she fractured a hip six weeks ago. Mrs. Meyer sustained a similar injury three years ago from which she made a complete recovery.
The departed was born in Germany 14 April,1865 to Carl and Johanna Beilke. In 1883,when she was 18 years of age, she came to America, making the trip alone An older sister, Mrs. Augusta Beer, having proceeded her to this country. She came directly to Clark County to be next to her only kin in a strange land. Another sister, now Mrs. Math Marx of Neillsville, and two brothers, who have passed away, came later.
On the first day of February 1885, she was united in marriage to Joseph Meyer, of Neillsville. They made their home in this city for a time while Mr. Meyer worked in the Hein sawmill. Later they purchased a tract of land just east of Neillsville. Here Mr. and Mrs. Meyer farmed and set up a kiln for the manufacture of brick. Their first output was used in their own buildings, which serve as monuments to the pioneer spirt of this worthy couple. They moved to this city eleven years ago.
Three children were born to them: William J.and Leo M., Loyal, and Elsie,Mrs. Fred Lear, Neillsville. She is survived by her husband and children, five grandchildren: Edward Meyer, Loyal; Mrs. Ruth Wills, Owen: Mrs. Gertrude Keller, Neillsville, and Joan and Allen Meyer, Loyal, and two great grandchildren: William Meyer, Granton and Charlotte Wills,Owen; two sisters: Mrs. Augusta Beer, Marshfield, and Mrs. Math marx, Neillsville.
Funeral services were held on October 29, at St. Mary's Catholic church. Father J.A. Biegler officiating. The body was interred in the Catholic Cemetery.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs