Obit: Staves, Ellen Stallard (1836 - 1911)
Contact: Sheri Stuve
----Source: HUMBIRD ENTERPRISE (Humbird, Clark Co., WI) 06/10/1911
Staves, Ellen Stallard (1 May 1836 - 1 June 1911)
Thursday morning, June 1, 1911, God called Mrs. Ellen Staves to dwell with him and her loved ones in the heavenly home where pain and parting are unknown. She had lingered for a considerable time patiently enduring the suffering of the last illness, when her call to rest came. Mrs. Staves who had lived in the community for over 44 years has ever counted her friends by the scope of her acquaintances and the universal sorrow over her departure is only alleviated by the trust that it is better for her.
Ellen Stallard was born in Somerset shire, England May 1, 1836. She was 75 years 1 month old. She came to Rochester, NY with one brother, her parents and 8 sisters in 1849. Residing there until 1855 when she came to Kingston, Wis. to visit a sister. She was united in marriage August 31, 1856 to William Staves of Kingston, Wis. He joined the army and left her with two children and she lost those to diphtheria. She then went south with her husband and stayed until the end of his service.
They removed to the Town of Cleveland, 3-1/2 miles from Humbird and took up a farm. Three children were born after the war. June 12, 1885 her husband departed and in 1896 she came to Humbird to reside. Three children: Mrs. C. D. Fowler, Mr. George Staves and Ella Raether, 5 sisters, one brother and 11 grandchildren survive. John Stallard, her brother lives in this village, one sister, Mrs. Wookey, lives in Oakfield, Wis., another sister lives in Watertown, S. D., and the other three live in the east. While a girl she was converted at age 16 and joined a Baptist Church in NY state. The funeral was held in the Methodist Episcopal Church Sunday afternoon.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs