Bio: Dietz, Mrs. John & Family "Set Free" (1912)
Contact: Audrey Roedl
----Source: Loyal Tribune - 26 September, 1912
Dietz Family is Set Free
When the cases against Mrs. John Dietz, Myra Dietz, Clarence Dietz and Leslie Dietz were called in circuit court at Eau Claire last Monday before Judge Wickham, all of the actions were dismissed by the court on the motion of District Attorney Williams of Sawyer county. The reasons given by Mr. Williams for requesting the dismissal of the cases were in part as follows:
1. That John Rogich, a material witness is now in Australia and that John Heft, another witness, is a private detective and was acting as such at the time of the attack on the Dietz home and that jury might not consider his evidence as competent.
2. That Hattie Dietz is the wife of John Dietz; that at the time of the attack Myra Dietz was only 16, Leslie 17 and Clarence 19; and that John Dietz was a man of powerful personality and had his family completely under his control.
3. That John Dietz was solely to blame for the firing on the deputy sheriffs.
4. The county board of Sawyer county had requested that the cases be nolled.
5. That Dietz was being justly punished for his crime and his wife and children should not also be punished for what he has done.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.